Riddle Me This

BigBikeMike

Why are all the good tires made for 15" rims? I understand that they have more volume, but, why is everything 15 and not 16? Is it worth it to buy some 15" rims for my 2000 Pathy and sticking some BFG All Terrains on them, or to find some A/Ts that fit my 16"?

Guest SuperSon

Wish theyd make one in 13.Can you picture how it would look like with 35 14.5 13 swampers on it. thatll look like a mini monster truck tires.

Actually the market is begining to shift. Some manufacturers are making a wider range of tire sizes for 16,17, and 18s. At the same time you can't find as wide of a selection of 15 sizes.

It's mostly inertia.... 15" was the standard for decades. Now with better and larger brakes, 15" is coming up short of space. 16" and larger is more common today. The BFG AT is a really old tire designs.

Do some research before buying just any 15" wheel - I suspect most alloys and maybe some steelies will not fit on your 2000. They will hit the caliper.

A 265/75-16 is pretty close to the same diameter and width as a 31x10.5-15. Just 1/2" less sidewall.