Efan Mod

Guest SuperSon

Guest SuperSon

Pick this fan from a 1995 (corrected from 2002) chrysler mini van 3.0L. Not sure yet what the amp draw is on this but it does blow some serious air on both low and high just about the same as the taurus 3.8L fan. Im going to check the specs on this fan and it could be an alternative for the taurus fan

efan3.jpg

efan4.jpg

Edited by SuperSon

Guest SuperSon

The dealer couldnt give me much info other that it fits a Chrysler mini van from 93-95 with 2.5 / 3.0 / 3.3 / 3.8 motor. The motor is about the same size motor as the taurus and to me it feels like it blows the same amount of air.

Im doing some more checking to see what this thing draws and how many cfm of air it generates

I was afraid the dealer would be clueless... now to figure out what we can. Put on your experimenter hat and let's go to town!

Measuring CFM would be ideal, but I'm not sure how to do that accurately, unless you have a HUGE plastic bag laying around. You could time how long it takes the fan to fill the bag and then calculate volume. But we are talking a really and truly big sucker to get accurate timing.... A fan of this size would take about 0.002 seconds to fill a trash bag! You couldn't start and stop the stopwatch to get meaningful data.

So since you have a Taurus fan as well, let's try to compare them a different way.

First off, is the OD of the blades the same?

Is the OD of the center hub the same?

Lastly, do they have the same number of blades?

I can see they both use scimitar blades.

If so, they will be somewhat close in efficiency. We can then compare current draw and with a few assumptions, make some conclusions.

Since it is highly unlikely you have an ammeter around that can handle 30+ DC amps without smoking, lets just compare voltage drops. Connect your DMM across the battery and measure the voltage. With the engine NOT running, connect one of the fans and measure the voltage again. It should drop quite a bit. It will drop a chunk, then stabilize somewhat. Record the value about 3 seconds after start up. Then do the same with the other fan. Switch back and forth a couple times and record the change in voltage each time - always 3 seconds after start up. Report back here and we'll make some conclusions!

The theory: The fan drawing more current will always result in a larger voltage drop.

All things being equal, the fan drawing more current is doing more work. If the blades are very close in size and configuration, then it is most likely moving more air.

If the Chrysler is close to the Taurus in size, configuration, and voltage drop, then it is likely close in air moving.

In that case, the one with the shroud that best fits the radiator (area covered and minimal gaposis) is going to provide the best cooling. The Taurus fan fits OK, but has a lot of room for improvement.

is the shroud a direct bolt on? hows that work, mounting wise?

Wouldn't that be nice! I've never seen a direct bolt on. All take some creativity in fabrication. Most aftermarket ones use some kind of linear zip tie to just clamp the shroud to the fins, but over time, that will lead to fin compression and vibration/noise. For long term, it is best to fabricate some kind of brackets that mount to either side of the radiator and firmly hold the shroud about 1/8" away from the fins.

Guest SuperSon

Ok did some measurement and its the same exact fan just mounted differently on the motor .

Fan is

16 1/2 overall diameter on both

6 1/2 round center piece

fins are 2 inches on the widest part and both are 5 inches in lenght (9 fins)

Chrysler fan housing is 25X15-1/2

Taurus is 20-1/4X15

I managed to pull the fan blade off of the chrysler fan and it has a nippondenso motor rated at 12.2V / 22A maybe.Those numbers might be a good reference for checking the specs

post-2701-1177554754.jpg

post-2701-1177554778.jpg

post-2701-1177554791.jpg

post-2701-1177554804.jpg

post-2701-1177554823.jpg

post-2701-1177554844.jpg

Edited by SuperSon

• 2 weeks later...

Closest to a direct bolt on I found was a nissan maxima fan. just had to cut the shroud brace and bend it out of the way of the steering box and reattach it up a little higher. Was easily done. I did it on my old pathfinder. I have the fan and i am ready to do it on my new pathfinder. Plus I found a fan relay/controller that would take the temp input of the stock temp sensor and it is adjustable.

Mark

Wouldn't that be nice! I've never seen a direct bolt on. All take some creativity in fabrication. Most aftermarket ones use some kind of linear zip tie to just clamp the shroud to the fins, but over time, that will lead to fin compression and vibration/noise. For long term, it is best to fabricate some kind of brackets that mount to either side of the radiator and firmly hold the shroud about 1/8" away from the fins.

cool! now im glad i didnt jump right on this before, keep us posted :)

Msavides - when you used the maxima fan did you use that unit or take one of these two speed fans and put it in the maxima shroud?

cool! now im glad i didnt jump right on this before, keep us posted :)

Msavides - when you used the maxima fan did you use that unit or take one of these two speed fans and put it in the maxima shroud?

The Maxima fans are 2 fans in a metal shroud. It sits close to the radiator. It does not come out toward the engine. I never had any cooling problems for over 100,000 miles before I wreaked it. I have went to the junk yard and picked up another one for my new (to me) pathfinder. I have not yet installed it since I misplaced my temp sensor fan control unit. As soon as I find the control unit the fan will go in.

What year Maximas are those fans from??

I think it was out of a 89 .. there was 2 fans. 1 single speed and one dual speed. I just hooked up the the 2 speed on the high speed wires. There was a resister for something on the 2 speed fan. I just removed it. I will have to take a couple of pis of the fan and post it.

When I installed it on my old pathfinder it did not have a body lift. That is awesome that I do not need to alter this on since I have a body lift.

Mark