Just Out Of Curiosity

Jarsiff

I was wondering why those of you that have one of the 2" lifts chose the one you had? The ome lift is priced at 719 on the website and on AC i see them from 630 to 750. I have seen people post things about the stiffness of different shocks for the rear but is there something else that has influenced your decisions?

I like the A/C Kyb and bilstien mix, It's stiff for the trails and soft enough on the road, i am speaking from personal experiance, with these shocks, and struts on another car of mine.

ok you have the 745 set from ac, i too have had kyb struts (agx's and gr2's) on maximas I know theres someone here with the ome lift though, do they re-badge struts or use a different brand? I see they list as a 1.75" lift and AC lists a 2" lift that must be a difference in the spacers am i right? one more question for now, if you can get a longer shock for the rear cant you get a longer one for the front? I was looking in another post here talking about the amount of up and down travel changing then once your springs start to sag you need more of a spacer to level out? wouldnt the strut last longer if it was a little longer?

ok you have the 745 set from ac, i too have had kyb struts (agx's and gr2's) on maximas I know theres someone here with the ome lift though, do they re-badge struts or use a different brand? I see they list as a 1.75" lift and AC lists a 2" lift that must be a difference in the spacers am i right? one more question for now, if you can get a longer shock for the rear cant you get a longer one for the front? I was looking in another post here talking about the amount of up and down travel changing then once your springs start to sag you need more of a spacer to level out? wouldnt the strut last longer if it was a little longer?

There are no longer struts available for the R50 as of yet. I have read that less people have the issue with "topping out" on their front struts using the OME springs. I have decided to use them and go with the Rancho struts/shocks combo because I have also read they are built a little tougher than the others.

ok so for those that really spend the time and do all the possible homework, the ome springs are the better and then you just have to find the struts/shocks that match your taste or driving style? is there anything else one should know about spacers then?

I just bought a complete OME set up (include OME struts) late last year. I'd call ARB USA (located in Washington state) directly at 425-264-1391. They are pretty helpful and will let you know what is available.

The OME complete setup is perfect for my needs - a little higher than factory and much more capable on and offroad. The struts/shocks seem very rugged, but don't know how they rate against other brands. If you are going for a complete OME suspension I would recommend the medium load front springs (part # OME 923) unless you have a bumper and winch then the HD springs (OME928) would work well. Just from my own experience.

ARB_Pathfinder_Accessories.pdf

I was sort of leaning toward them before, thanks for the list by the way i bookmarked that. did you get the full 2" out of that setup? i see they have 9/16 spacers but most people talk about 1" spacers here?

I have the AC coils as part of my 5" of total lift and I personally have been very annoyed by the topping out. Even after more than 6 months use and the weight of a full steel bumper with bars, I top out dozens of times per day during my commute over bumps on the road. If I were doing it again and had to pick something off the shelf I would go for the OME coils which aren't as long and therefore top out the struts less. If you really want that extra height, put a 0.5"-1" spacer on top of the OME coils. In my case I have a 2.5" spacer, and could have just gone with a 3.5" spacer instead for the same height. The only other difference between AC and OME than height is the spring rate. The AC are a little stiffer.

My ideal set-up simply doesn't exist, but a custom coil maker could manufacture it. I would aim for only 1-1.5" lift from the coil like the OME, but with even stiffer rate than the AC coils.

I was sort of leaning toward them before, thanks for the list by the way i bookmarked that. did you get the full 2" out of that setup? i see they have 9/16 spacers but most people talk about 1" spacers here?

Yes, Rocky Road sells some spacers. I have a set I've never used actually. But a few members here have had their own spacers made in .75" or 1" to fit their needs.

I'm going to be doing the perfect setup in the next year or so. Stay tuned to this forum for updates.

The project is currently very hush-hush, so don't bother PMing me for info, as I won't share it. There are a select few who know about it, but they know that if they divulge any information regarding my suspension, I will run them over with my new TJM that I'm putting on next weekend. :)

I'm going with AC in the rear and OME HDs with a 3/4 spacer up front. Won't have pics for a little while as i'm going after bushings and hardware and need to save up a few more $. I didn't like the concept of topping out over speed bumps so this is the route I chose.

I wouldn't recommend that setup. The topping out only happens for a couple of weeks. The AC rear springs are stiff, either get the AC kit or the OME kit. If you get ome and AC, you'll be riding like a drag car. Even with the spacer.

I would disagree and say that I still top out a dozen times a day, I've had my coils for 7 months, and I have a full steel bumper for weight in addition. I don't know what type of smooth roads these other people are driving on... With a 1" spacer he should be similar to using AC all around. The R50 has a natural rake from the factory design, and that is how the car was set up for best handling. Those who prefer a different look than "a drag car" can jack up the front further but you will continue increasing the angle on the CVs by doing so.

I would disagree and say that I still top out a dozen times a day, I've had my coils for 7 months, and I have a full steel bumper for weight in addition. I don't know what type of smooth roads these other people are driving on... With a 1" spacer he should be similar to using AC all around. The R50 has a natural rake from the factory design, and that is how the car was set up for best handling. Those who prefer a different look than "a drag car" can jack up the front further but you will continue increasing the angle on the CVs by doing so.

But you've been pounding the pavement. Ive had mine installed since December and it only topped out for the first bit. You also have swaybars. So it will take longer for the coils to settle if they never compress and get broken in from wheeling it. The front of mine has totally settled and the rear is still about 1.5" taller then the front. Its annoying. As for the CVs, just get Warns.

Edited by nissandoms47

I've got 85,000 very hard miles on my coils. The powdercoating is flaking off, and they're starting to rust. My total lift is down to just under 3". I haven't heard a strut top out except when I hit a big bump off road and the tire comes off the ground in about 2 years.

I'm actually debating whether or not to spend the money to replace them.

Wow good points of view here, thanks for all of the info and opinions. So if I want the full 2" lift AC is where to go, when they settle how much lift are you left with? and when you measure that your measuring from center of hub to fender correct? I pretty much decided that while i would love to build the piss out of it for power and offroad capability...realistically with my family and money situations a 2" lifted awsome trail runner is all i can really ask for. so i think im back to the original plan with 2"lift, armor, hopefully bumpers and a basket for the top. i still totally want to see moab someday though :)

:crossedwires: I have a customer spring manufacturer very close to me....my question is...can you simply have the OME coils stretched?

If so what is the un compressed length of the AC coils? My OME coils were on road dreams...the only cruddy part was that they would bow down under any sort of load in the rear end. Lets not let this thread die!

Ok, ok, you won. :huh:

I've searched in Babylon, Google Translate, two printed dictionaries and I'm still confused about what is to top out and to bottom out. So when you bottom out, the shocks or coils are fully compressed, and when you top out, they are fully extended... am I correct? Or, is it the opposite? :shrug:

Yes. When you "top-out" the struts are extending from ride height, to maximum extension rapidly, causing a loud noise.

When you "bottom-out" the struts/shocks are compressing rapidly from ride height to full compression, creating a loud noise.

I know theres a list here of each of the shock combinations but maybe someone should make a list with that info plus in order of stiffness and possibly the total lift after install or a week after install or whatever. what do you guys think? maybe that list could be stickied and would be great info for people checking in about the options or for new people to answer some of their initial questions? oh and price or approximate would be helpful too.

I chose the OME kit because I was told that it is easier on the CV boots but if you get Warn hubs (like you should) the CV wear is not a problem because they are never spinning when you dont need them to. Further, the OME are working great on and off road for me. i have some videos of stuff I' ve done with the OME's if you like i could pm them to you.