Dana 44's On Jeep Cherokee Chief?

87pathmaker

So I've been contemplating a sas on my 87 pathy along with a few other goodies and making it pretty much an offroad only vehicle here in Alaska, where honestly they don't care what you drive as long as it has lights and wheels.. anyways back to the story. I've got a buddy who is a full time fabricator and who has done a sas on his chevy, and has offered to do a swap for a very small amount if I provide the parts as an alternative to rebuilding my IFS>

I was just informed recently that there was a 78 cherokee chief sitting at the local scrap yard (city runs it) about to get crunched, and to pull a part is only $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I went up to look at it today, and couldn't tell due to the amounts of cars surrounding it. Does anybody know for sure that it is equipped with dana 44's? it was 6 lug, and from what I've researched on google they are... if so, i'm heading there tomorrow with a cutting torch :)

Edited by 87pathmaker

Is it an old Bronco? Newer full size Broncos had the TTB crap.

Yes.. from an early bronco.. there is a local who is going to pick up one and tear out the ford 9" and was going to scrap the rest. He told me I could have the front axle for dirt cheap.

BTW. Just snapped another front axle yesterday, lol, I guess this is just making my decision that much easier.

Yes.. from an early bronco.. there is a local who is going to pick up one and tear out the ford 9" and was going to scrap the rest. He told me I could have the front axle for dirt cheap.

BTW. Just snapped another front axle yesterday, lol, I guess this is just making my decision that much easier.

the fun begins

Thats pretty much exactly what i said.. 3+ years and i'm still working on it

the fun begins

Thats pretty much exactly what i said.. 3+ years and i'm still working on it

Scary :) I'm planning on keeping it for outings only here, right now it's daily driven..well, only about 5 miles a day if that. My fiance and I are going to pick up a tow vehicle for our hotel, I'm thinking either a new tundra or titan.

There are all kinds of places to play up here, and I've met a couple locals who have some pretty built cralwers. One is a Samurai with toy axles on leafs with 35's, and the other is a cj7 on 36's (the guy who's putting in a 9", not sure what he's got in the front yet). , condions vary from mud to thick moss called "muskeg" to severe rock formations, and tons of beat down logging roads so I plan on running at least 35's to get through the deep stuff.

I like the idea of a front 3-link with coils, simple and effective, and probably more travel/flex than I'll need up here, with an ox locker... I haven't decided on gearing just yet. And I'm just going to follow nissannut's lead with the stock rear 5 link and extend the rear links, using the lower rear links as uppers and relocating the lower mounts, and extend the upper links to work as lower links. Use lift coils, and install a powertrax in the h233b, and match gearing to the d44. Sounds simple... but it never works out that way ;)

Scary :) I'm planning on keeping it for outings only here, right now it's daily driven..well, only about 5 miles a day if that. My fiance and I are going to pick up a tow vehicle for our hotel, I'm thinking either a new tundra or titan.

There are all kinds of places to play up here, and I've met a couple locals who have some pretty built cralwers. One is a Samurai with toy axles on leafs with 35's, and the other is a cj7 on 36's (the guy who's putting in a 9", not sure what he's got in the front yet). , condions vary from mud to thick moss called "muskeg" to severe rock formations, and tons of beat down logging roads so I plan on running at least 35's to get through the deep stuff.

I like the idea of a front 3-link with coils, simple and effective, and probably more travel/flex than I'll need up here, with an ox locker... I haven't decided on gearing just yet. And I'm just going to follow nissannut's lead with the stock rear 5 link and extend the rear links, using the lower rear links as uppers and relocating the lower mounts, and extend the upper links to work as lower links. Use lift coils, and install a powertrax in the h233b, and match gearing to the d44. Sounds simple... but it never works out that way ;)

Ok, i have told this to many individuals. In our pathfinders if you plan on running 35" tires you will need to run 5.14:1 (or 5.13:1) gears 5.38's would be better.

Do not waste your time with 4.88's TRUST ME.

They make all the way up to 6:1, IIRC. I had a pic of the NISMO catalog of available gears for the H233B around here somewhere, I just dunno where.

I have an old nismo catalogue from like 2000, I'll take a look in it... :) 6:1 crawler gears :beer: