Skid plate

I here ya, the pics showing that trail, was pretty brutal. I was thinking "ya should have a longer skid plate to cover those pans, but they are kinda tucked up another inch. Still it was harry at times, but I had a blast nothing broken nothing lost. :aok:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice plate. Looks clean and well done.

I am almost done with the skid plate I made for my 97. A few side pieces welded on, ploishing and paint. While not as pretty as the blue one, it serves the same purpose.

I do like that blue color, though!

I am currently looking for skid plates for my 1998 infiniti qx4 .

If you have one, let me know!!!!!

Thus far I have only found

- rear diff skid plate from 4x4parts.com

(http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/index.php3?page=shop/flypage&product_id=1774)

- and a transfer case skid plate (oem)

(http://www.xplorx4.com/Pathfinder/upgrades/tcaseskid/)

but that still leaves engine/oil pan etc...

MY email is mario_c@videotron.ca

Thanks to all, the plates you've made Runnerman seem to be very nice.

M

- and a transfer case skid plate (oem)

Actually that transfer case plate will not work on my 98 qx4.

It is for 86-97 trucks only...sorry.

By the way nice pics Marcel, let me know when my nice, big plate is ready!!

M

Ok how many of you guys would like 2 seperate plates and how many would like the solid plate. I will have both to offer but would like to know which you guys would prefer as then I will have more of that type.

The differences will be if you have the 2 plates then oil changes are easier, small downside is that is that there would be a slight lip to join them. I will have pics of this when it is done.

Ok the super skid, plus side is super strong with no lip. Downside is that oil changes are not going to pleasent.

I beleive I will have the large skids first.

Thanks Replies needed! :clap:

ever thought of making a hole large enough to drain the oil from? a hole right below the plug would make it easier instead of taking the whole skid off allowing the large skid.

I will look at it but then it will have to be large enough to get the filter out also. Problem with that is that if you are offroading you can get stick where you don't want it.

I'll look at it tomorrow as it will be finished. I can always add that hole there.

Thanks

Ok the super skid, plus side is super strong with no lip. Downside is that oil changes are not going to pleasent.

For me, the super skid. I mean how much more trouble is it to unbolt the plate prior to an oil change...it will be a bolt on right ??

That's what, a extra 5 minutes?

Yes it will be a bolt on. But being so large it is kind of awkward to take on and off so I am going to look at putting a hole in that place if I can.

I should have some pics on it for Tuesday along with pricing of the Superskid. The 2peice skidplates should be done next week sometime.

I hope this helps. :aok:

I'd have to take a look at what kind of lip you are talking about for a 2-piece skid; but in the end, I think that is the direction I would want to go. I would love to see pics installed for each for comparisons sake or perhaps a drawing with the bold locations for the two... if there aren't a whole hell of a lot of bolts on the one-piece, then I might be game for that one...

still curious about the $$ however...

then again, who am I to complain - no one else is making these stinking things! :blink:

There will be the same amount of bolts for each. The 2 peice will be a tad more expensive but will be sold individually or as a set. The lip is not major(1/16") just letting you know it will be there.

As for money wise I will post it on my website http://www.blackpantherskidplates.com Monday or Tuesday along with a pic of the superskid and some details.

Hey thanks for the input. :D

Hey thanks, Senshido. Just a slight delay on the Superskid as some machinery died. Taken alot longer than I predicted but nevertheless should be looking at Friday or Monday to finish that skid shown.

The 2 peice I think will be a little ways down the road.

-alcohol-

either way - let me know when you've got-em available - you can shoot me an email with pricing if you know what you will be asking... you can get me at squam5@msn.com

thanks - Chris

Mine doesn't have a skid in the front, maybe it got taken off at some point or was never on there at all... the previous owner wasn't someone who would have removed it, I don't think. Weird. Anyways, the skids look cool!

Mine doesn't have a skid in the front, maybe it got taken off at some point or was never on there at all...

I changed the oil this week-end, took of the plastic *cough* plate off, leaving it off, waiting for the real deal....no pressure runnerman no pressure ;-)

Hey Senshido, thanks for that patient time frame. I'm in the same boat, I had to cancel a fishing trip because this skidplate took longer than expected :huh: .

I will post pics on wed or thurs of the finished prototype on my website, along with pricing.

Estimated time frame of completed superskid for shipping should be about 2-4weeks from this Friday. :beer:

My sheets cost me $180.00 4x12 without tax. 10 gauge steel. So no I'm not making a huge profit after powder coating and all the hardware and mounting brackets included.

All the bending & drilling and so on and so forth. Did I mention all the welding of nuts on the mounting Brackets.

kmgar99 I see your front skid it is alot different then mine.

I guess I could do alot cheaper things like leave out the bends but then people will be pretty mad when they smoke their plate and it buckles under a rock or something.

I have a saying if I'm going to do something do it right that is why this Superskid plate is taking so long.

The idea of the Superskid ( covers oilpan & tranni pan)actually came from this board and after I went on my fishing trip, and almost smoked my oilpan.

I refuse to send something out that doesn't work.

Remember You Get What You Pay For

I would put more detailed pics of the mounting bracket but I'm not completed the whole patten process, as soon as it's finished I will show everything.