Gl-1,4,5

milehighcowboy

a search on google provided no information to me. it makes no sense to me that our transmisions would be the only ones out there that have bronze syncros in there. how can they say that an oil GL-1,4,5 would be bad if it meets requirements for GL-4. it must if its listed in the list which means that it cant have the sulur addative you all talk about. Did nissan lie to me and say its fine so that i would come back tot hem in the futur? i am thinking about it for a fill up and then its their fault if it fails.

Car Quest also has GL4

The deal with GL5 in our manuals is kind of like the auto tranny cooler deal. Not everyone has had problems with the Autos going out @ 200K with no cooler, but enough have that you should probably think twice about not installing one.

Not everyone who has filled up with GL5 has had problems (that we are aware of).. but is it worth risking a transmission rebuild? Because several have had to do just that.

Mile, search for some posts from Maritimeman. He used GL5 and about six months later he was replacing his 5spd. If I remember right, there are some pictures of his tranny after he tore it apart.

Car Quest also has GL4

The deal with GL5 in our manuals is kind of like the auto tranny cooler deal. Not everyone has had problems with the Autos going out @ 200K with no cooler, but enough have that you should probably think twice about not installing one.

Not everyone who has filled up with GL5 has had problems (that we are aware of).. but is it worth risking a transmission rebuild? Because several have had to do just that.

Mile, search for some posts from Maritimeman. He used GL5 and about six months later he was replacing his 5spd. If I remember right, there are some pictures of his tranny after he tore it apart.

That's a very good point. Maybe it will be OK for many miles in most vehicles, and the problems don't start getting fatal until the vehicle is old enough that the owners it affects are already too wise to bring to dealer for repair, so the dealer cowboy is dealing with is honestly clueless?

Edited by mws

OK, i've about had enough of listening to these gear oil debates.

Gl 4,5,6 etc is such a loose spec.

It does not matter, as long as its compatible with soft metals.

I could run Mobile gear 630 (which is ISO 220 Sae 90)in my transmission wich is GL 6 and it would work fine (a little thick) But its compatible with soft metals. However, If i was to use shell Omala 220 HD (whic is the same visosity index and is also GL 6) I would have major problems because of the Sulfer phosfurous additives.

GL designation is buch of BS and must be interpreted very loosly.

I run Castrol Hypoid 75-90 in my tranny and t-case and have no issues, been running it for a long time and its GL 5. However, i do know that its compatible with soft metals. If you are really worried, call Shell, call mobile or any other oil distributor and ask them what oil they have with a GL 4 rating that is soft metal compatible.

just my 2 cents

with todays technology i was thinking that the specs crap is a bunch of BS why would they make an oil that they can only target one set of vehicles? You owuld think with wanting profits they would create a single oil that will work in any tranny (with differant viscousities). am just going to calll lucas and ask em. To all their own beliefs i guess.

Yeah, life would be much easier if all vehicles could use the same gear oil, and same engine oil, and same batteries, and same windshield wipers, and same size and types of tires, and....

But the reality is than different consumers want different attributes, so different designs exist.