preventing frame rust

XEcaribe

ATF in a sprayer works, but it's messy. You basically want something with lots of rust inhibitors in it sprayed all over the inside of your frame. I am still not sure what I want to do with mine yet, but I want to do something quick.

Guest SuperSon

I think its automatic transmission fluid.

Im thinking of shooting some expanding foam inside my frame. I think I seen somebody post that long time ago

Edited by SuperSon

dont spray bed liner and DO NOT spray foam in there! bed liner will trap moisture behind it and actually rot your frame faster. For the foam.. uhmm.. holy moisture, might as well fill it with spunges. Best thing you can do is get the frame oil sprayed at a place that does oil spraying. I dont know about your area, but in my area you can find these companies just about anywhere. Not sure what they use, ive heard diesel fluid, but i could be wrong. Also, if you do find a place that does oil spraying, be sure to get the stuff that drips, dont get dripless.... you want the oil to flow and move around to cover everywhere. Call some local body shops and ask if they know of a place to get it done.

Edited by Kn0xville

i called my grandfather and he says he mixes keroseen and some other type of oil and uses a garden sprayer. im gonna have him do that to mine. he has a 69 GMC and a 67 Jeep cj-7 and the frames look brand new

Guest SuperSon
i called my grandfather and he says he mixes keroseen and some other type of oil and uses a garden sprayer. im gonna have him do that to mine. he has a 69 GMC and a 67 Jeep cj-7 and the frames look brand new

Let use know what he uses :type:

Do you guys spray out the inside of the frame when you go to the carwash? I have been doing this, to make sure nothing flows out except clean water, but not sure if it is a good idea to keep it up?

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for the late reply i kindof forgot about this thred. my grandfather uses a mixture of keroseen and motor oill when it dries it forms a nice coating and it works awesome looking at his frames. he does this once a year and has for the past 40 years and his vehicles frames dont have one rust spot on them.

Do you guys spray out the inside of the frame when you go to the carwash? I have been doing this, to make sure nothing flows out except clean water, but not sure if it is a good idea to keep it up?

yeah.

i just used regular used motor oil in a garden sprayer on my f-150 and the frame looked good for years.

On the expanding foam.... how would that be bad? Isn't it closed cell when it dries?

I'm talking about the product you can buy in a spray can with a straw, like "Great Stuff".

Seems to me it would work.

Nope....you'll never get it to seal the inside of the frame completely, then you'll just have it sitting there, holding the moisture against the inside of the frame. Not to mention, road salt, or other grime in there will just be held in place by the foam. Oil the inside, coat the outside in whatever rust resistant paint, or coating you can find. Re apply probably yearly.

would about using a sprayer to spray rustolium paint in there, (after of course you clean it out) That should work.

Mark

I think its automatic transmission fluid.

Im thinking of shooting some expanding foam inside my frame. I think I seen somebody post that long time ago

The challenge with paint is getting any dirt and oil out of there so it can adhere properly. If any goo left in there, it will make the paint ineffective.

Any oil (engine, gear, STP, etc) diluted with a suitable solvent to make it sprayable will do.

And for those without a sprayer, there are aerosols available (at much higher cost per ounce) that will do the trick. There are quite a few products made for machine shops and industrial factories. For instance:

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshield-T-9-...rosol-P3C4.aspx

I know of a guy who swears by denatured fish oil; spray and forget. The plus side is that it is cheap and has no negative impact on the environment like some liner products or using motor oil, etc...

B