my sound!

adahy22

ok so i got a set of 6by9 alpine speakers for 100 with 50 gift card.the speakers were originally 176 $ not too bad.

so i took the gift card and bought a alpine head unit.

i have 6 inch alpine speakers i got for 20$ at a junk yard customize in the front

all alpine and sound very good!!

now i looked at the box ,well let me say plastic casing for the 6by9 in the back and it s just @!*% for those speakers so i m going to take it all off and build 2 6by9 box custumize it!!!

my question is what to put in the box for insulation on the inside???

on the outside i will put carpet or paint it later not decide.

i was thinking of putting some cocking so it will be air tight !

any ideas or any one has done this major modification??

i will attack this project and put pictures up monday but need advice on insulation or should i need a air to let the bass out or keep it air tight

great thank you

insulation too for the front speakers as well

all help will be much appreciated

Your best bet is to simply get some foam baffles for the front speakers. That will insulate them from the doors enough that they'll sound good.

For the rear 6x9" boxes, you can either leave the boxes empty (air), or fill them with PolyFill (available in the Crafts section at WalMart). It's a polyester blend foam fill used for pillows, and a lot of people use it to stuff subwoofer and speaker boxes. Personally, I don't believe in the stuff. A properly designed box will sound much better without any fill.

Use 1/2" MDF plywood for the speaker boxes and seal them up well with some caulk (not cocking :lol:), so they are air-tight. An air-leak in the box will definitely hinder your sound quality. The best shape for a 6x9 is a trapezoidal box with the speaker on the angled face. This will provide you with the best sound imaging in the vehicle. However, without knowing the exact specifications and requirements of the speakers themselves, I must leave the actual planning and design of the boxes themselves to you.

Also, if you're on a budget, you can pick up some of the heat-form, adhesive roofing tar paper rolls from Home Depot or Lowes for an inexpensive alternative to Dynamat. It will help to alleviate vibrations and road noise inside the cabin, and will definitely help your sound quality. Put some on the door skins (the metal part), the roof (under the headliner, pain in the rear, but so worth it, especially if you're running a subwoofer) and on the sides and floor of the rest of the body.

Good luck, and definitely take some pictures of your progress!

I think he had them there, and was unimpressed by the quality of the sound reverberating off the metal roof, which was his original reason for wanting to put them in a box.

Though, if you applied sound deadener to the roof, you'd eliminate the need for the boxes.

I think he had them there, and was unimpressed by the quality of the sound reverberating off the metal roof, which was his original reason for wanting to put them in a box.

Though, if you applied sound deadener to the roof, you'd eliminate the need for the boxes.

Ok, got it.... :)

yes ,the reason for this upgrade is the 2 plastic box have a whole bunch of holes in it and it looks like @!*% too :P .

i want to make a box with the speakers about 20 degree facing the front of the suv.

what i m going to do ,i got mdf boards to make my box,use the 4 holes to mount it (from the previous plastic box) then cauck the inside of the box and leave it empty to get more bass.

another reason to do this ,it s just something to do on my day off while drinking beers

B)

i will off course take pictures of this while doing it tommorow,i think it s going to be sweeeeeeeettttttttttttt

thanks,i have mot decide to put carpet on the outside or paint it ,will see when it s done!!!! :beer:

Why put the 6x9's in a box at all? Put them in the roof where they belong. (get a dremmel and cut to fit) B)

Some older 4dr models had big, ugly, plastic speaker "boxes" mounted over the rear wheel wells. Then they got the bright idea to mount them in the rear ceiling on later models. :aok:

First off, make the boxes as big as you can. Even then, the boxes will likely be smaller than the optimal size for a 6x9, so stuff the box with the fiberfill. The fiber will lower the resonant frequency, making the box act like it is bigger. And seal it well.