Grille Guard for my new Pathy

Well my mods were just about completed today when I got my 'Black Horse' grille/brush guard that I bought from truckdepo on ebay. I didn't know it was a Black Horse brand when I bought and never heard of that. Anyway, it was $219.95 + $89.95 for s/h. The instructions could've been better. I have 2 brackets that are supposed to mount using the front license plate holes but can't figure out exactly how. It is attached by a plate bolted into the tow hook plate underneath and is quite sturdy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grille-Guar...emZ190083697325

I also got some tail light guards for $69.95 + $14 s/h from jackmikolautomotive on ebay.

post-7-1175559616.jpg

:aok: Looks nice, but you'd better hope you never get in a fender bender. In collisions harder than the occasional wayward shopping cart, a grille guard usually causes more damage to the vehicle than if it weren't installed. Edited by XPLORx4

I see what you mean, but even if I had a bolt on bumper to the frame I could still damage the rest of the vehicle depending on what I hit. The sides that face the vehicle are padded so I have some cushion. Heck, it would be instant death if I had t-boned someone with my cherokee and its arb bull bar.

Looks nice. The only problem with a front end hit is that there is nothing behind the grill guard to keep it from going into the hood, etc. The whole front OEM bumper is nothing but a piece of cheezy plastic. Might let the insurance know just so it is included in coverage.

A full bumper replacement, such as an ARB or TJM, is much stronger than a grille guard. A bull bar attaches to two places on the frame, whereas a grille guard attaches only to the bottom of the frame, near the tow hooks. Therefore, due to leverage, it takes even LESS force to damage a grille guard (and potentially push it into the hood) because the impact force is acting on a point higher than the mounting location. Additionally, grille guards typically are positioned much closer to the headlamps, corners, and hood than bull bars.

Note: we're not talking about a collision that would even damage the radiator. We're talking about "fender benders" such as this one.

Ex:

Hold your fist about 1" away from your nose, with your upper arm horizontal, and your forearm vertical. Your shoulder represents the mounting location of the grille guard, your fist represents the top of the grille guard. Your nose represents the hood.

Now, have your buddy hit your elbow. Did your fist hit your nose? No? That's because all of the impact force was transferred through your upper arm to your shoulder, the "mounting point".

Now, have your buddy hit your forearm. That hurt, didn't it? ;)

Edited by XPLORx4

:aok:  Looks nice, but you'd better hope you never get in a fender bender. In collisions harder than the occasional wayward shopping cart, a grille guard usually causes more damage to the vehicle than if it weren't installed.

I know from first hand experience. When I got in an accident, I know an insurance adjuster that came to check it out. He said a good 2k was done to the front end becuase of the grill guard. If I didn't have the guard, I would have had to replace the bumper piece and maybe the grill. Luckily, I did all the work myself and ended up paying around $500. This was all from a simple 5mph rearender.

0124071554.jpg

0218071922a.jpg

0124071600.jpg

021807152.jpg

0218071922.jpg

Edited by NismoSkyZ

Looks nice. The only problem with a front end hit is that there is nothing behind the grill guard to keep it from going into the hood, etc. The whole front OEM bumper is nothing but a piece of cheezy plastic. Might let the insurance know just so it is included in coverage.

False, it is a fairly strong piece of metal. The valence and grill are plastic though.

lol, i rear ended someone going about 5 mph.. all it did was push the bumper up and back just a tad, and that was because the bumper bracket bolts werent all the way tight. And i have 2 pro comp lights drilled into the bumper, the lens actually made a dent into the guys hood. no guard on the light, just the lens.