Throttle body still stickey?

MadManMike

When I first got my pathy about 3 months ago I noticed that the gas pedal would stick when stopping at a stop light or to start out with during the day. So I read on the forums to clean it with some air intake cleaner and a soft tooth brush.

The first time: I took off the air intake hose and started cleaning... it was very dirty.. tons of black junk came out while spraying and brushing. After a half of a can of air intake stuff and an hour of cleaning I thought I had it. A few days later it started to stick again.

Second Time: Went back in to try and clean it out again, this time I cleaned every thing even the back of the butterfly plate ( making sure I got it all)... worked great, a few days later it started to stick again.. even worse this time.

Third Time: Used the rest of the can of the cleaning fluid, used the old tooth brush again and a rag. Once again it was kind of dirty... I made sure this time to clean it out behind the plate as well .. got it to sparkle in there. worked fine for about 3 days and started to stick.. but not nearly as bad as before.

So now it sticks every once and a while.. at every 4rth or 5th stoplight.. seems to get worse as the vehicle warms up (might just be my imagination on that one).

I can't imagine that there is any gunk left in there, Is it possible while cleaning I made the butterfly plate off center or something? I am a total newb when it comes to air intakes.

Next I am going to try and remove the throttle cables and test it with out them and try and make it stick.

Any ideas?

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

unhook the throttle cable from the t.b. then i would open the butterflies and let it snap shut. Try to open it again, does it stick? If not than I would check out the throttle cable like 88 said. if the calbe is starting to fray it may bind up or it may just need a good lube.

Or the pivot on the pedal could be sticking under the dash. You don't have your floormat squished up under the pedal, do you? I had that happen once on my friend's 5.0 Mustang...it would stick terribly until we pulled the floormat back. ;)

I haven't seen this with PF's, but Civics have a bad problem with a bolt on the throttle cable catching on a protruding part from the engine. Try following the cable back. If there is a cable tensioner (haven't looked but I'm assuming...), it could be hitting somewhere.

Edited by kwilley

Okay so I took the throttle cable off of the t/b and it still sticks...

So I am guessing it is the plate still sticking.

Any suggestions?

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

Short of dissassembling the butterfly completely. Maybe try to lube the butterfly shaft at the two entry points of the air intake. :shrug: Might be some gunk in there that's making it stick.

I finally had to remove the upper intake, remove the TB and clean the whole thing, there was so much carbon in there, I took it to the machine shop and let them do it for $20. Looks to me like the EGR port lets all that carbon in there. Hasn't stuck since (3yrs ago)

Edited by Derrik

Im having kind of the same problem... my throttle sticks but also seems to idle higher at times, Im thinking it maybe the IACV behind the plate :help: The best bet is most likely to remove the tb and clean it all out.

Im gonna tear down the intake this weekend and clean it all out - I keep dying on the highway going 55, then the idle is all messed up... and im not really sure what it is.

Let me know how it goes.

I am a little afraid to take of my T/b... mostly afraid of dropping a screw down the air intake :P

So I just looked in there and tried to clean it some more but it still sticks... It only happens at about every 3rd stoplight. Not sure why....

So possible could the T/b plate be scraping in the t/b actually touching it? I do notice some small scrape marks at the bottom of the t/b ... might just be ware marks.

Any thing to worry about when taking it off? There looks to be a seal.. will that need to be replaced?

-Mike

Any thing to worry about when taking it off? There looks to be a seal.. will that need to be replaced?

-Mike

If you don't destroy the seal when you remove it then you "can" reuse it.

Well ill add, On my R50 the throttle cable/butterfly valve thingy would get caught up on a vacuum hose, I never noticed it until I started getting a big hiss from the engine bay, the cables tore right through it. So maybe something is in its way.