Fabbing up compartment space

solid snake

Has any one tried to fab up some compartment spaces. A few places that look like alright places would be under the rear seats, or in the cargo area under the carpet. I dont know how deep you can go before looking at the gas tank on that one, but I'll check it out tomorrow. As far as under the seats, what I was thinking is to open a hole between the two seats and making a box that is 12" long x 5" wide x 5" deep. I don't see any real problems with that set up since the rear sway bar is not too close to the underside of the seats and the drive shaft won't come that close to it. Anyone has any other suggestions. I remember seeing a thread that involved making compartments around the cabin area and the cargo area, but I was thinking of being abit more conspicuous.

conspicuous

Inconspicuous :D

I'm getting ready to raise the floor in the rear cargo area. I've planned my new sub box for a 6" raise for the left 3/4 or so, the remainder taken by the box, with the floor raised 6". I've got about 47 different projects going at the moment though... :wacko: Lowe's has some marine carpet that is a decent enough match to the stock grey, as I used it on the old sub box a couple years ago, and they were clearing it out for like $2.49 a yard so I bought a bunch.

Anyways, I bet you'd be ok under the rear seat, I've thought about that as well a little bit. As long as you don't go too deep. Most of these trucks are rusted through there anyways, so no harm, no foul.

i seem to recall someone made a "false raised floor" with a huge pull our drawer in the back.

also, anyone ever thought about making/altering a set (or even just one) of those boxes for pickups that sit over the wheel hump? my OEM speaker box's are falling apart. i could even see cutting a hole in the lid of the new box's and poping a nice set of aftermarket 6x9's in there. it might not hold alot of bulk, but where it would shine is the everyday small things. like little air compressors, jack, tools, hitches, straps, etc. and for those that do have the over the hump speakers you already have lost that space width wise, might as well make use of it. maybe buying some fit for a truck wouldnt be teh ticket since their so long. but making your own would be a snap if you didnt mind a little gap around the hump here and there.

That sounds like a plan too. I already have the 6x9 speaker on the back though. I was thinking of something more like a cutting a hole under the rear seats so i can place my sockets, ratchet and some screwdrivers to free up the back a bit. I have a sub box in the back and it takes almost half of the cargo area. The place where i keep my tools is just a milk gallon crate, so there's not much stuff there. The only problem I see with this would have to be coming back into the US when crossing the border cause some border patrol agents pop a mirror under the car, they might think it's a little suspicious and send me to second inspection.

The floor under my seats is pretty rusted as well so I thought about fixing it with fiberglass and incorporating two compartments. I would probably line the existing floor (what's left of it) with aluminum foil and lay a few layers of 'glass down for a mold. Then pop it out and cut holes for two plastic tubs with snap on lids and 'glass the whole thing up with 1/4 steel rod and plates to mount the seat belts sandwiched between the layers.