Cooling problems

IpathyXe

So today i was driving to Fort Collins and I noticed that the temp guage in the car was higher then normal when i came to stop the temprature shot straight up... After i got the pathy to about 3000 rpm it went back to normal, i also noticed that my mpg seemed to drop... help!!! i have a big camping trip this weekend and this needs a fixin!!

I would be betting on it needing a new T-Stat... That or you developed a bubble in the system over the winter and your coolant levels just got low enough to make the system want to burp....

Out side of this incident have you noticed any coolant leaking overnight?

My 95 when i first got it, over heated a bit, then after flushing the system and putting in new coolant it was good up till the gasket blowing on the water pump...

Alright just flushed the ratiater... took it for a spin and it over heats worse then ever... Mostlikley the thermostat... Soo i had the thermostat changed last year, but i had it done for free soo i dont know how much it costs or if i can do it at home without having pull the engine out of my car.. help anyone???

what procedure did u follow after flushing...these systems are bad about vapor locking...

i usually fill up the system as much as possible...let it run and add more coolant to top it off...then let it cool off...then cap it and drive it till it gets warm...then burp the system very carefully and let it cool with the cap off...if you have any kind of air pocket in the system it will overheat like crazy....

The t-stat is pretty easy. To fill: I fill the radiator cold. Start it and turn on the heater. Then keep topping off the radiator. You should be able to tell when the t-stat opens, (by watching the temp gauge it should drop) when the cooling system cycles it should let all the air out to the highest point (the filler neck). Then cap it. After the next cool down you will want to check the coolant level but if your overflow was filled up and the cooling system is working properly it should be full.

bump B) and possibly some info for ya to check out ;)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4410&hl=

also, my pathy will NOT be burped with the cap off. :nono: she refuses. i get her warm, turn on the heater n loosen the burper screw.. she burps like a little piggy. once she's done burping, i screw the bleeder back in and let er run a bit more....

Edited by Slick

I never could find a burp screw on mine. I just park on a steep hill with the nose up, fill it, run it with the heater on and usually get it full enough that the overflow bottle cycling will top off the rest.

There is a burp screw on the back of the motor (top). Kinda between the intake manifold and the firewall if memory serves me right. It is in this general location I know for sure that you should find a 10mm bolt with "warning" sticker near by. Took me a while to find even with a chilton... Good luck.