3.0 heads

speedy

dont do it...there is no clearance...

i am with uncc on this one...... unless the heads are only SLIGHTLY warped/uneven... just enuff to level them out.... lemme see if i can find the specs in the FSM.... *goes hunting*

i think its somewhere along the lines of 1-2 mm of clearance between the valve and piston on the exhaust stroke...dont quote me on that but i think thats what i've read b4...that makes the T-belt almost completely tolerance free...you could prob take like .030 and be ok but i dont think it would be worth the risk

Yup, modern engines are far more intolerant of shaving than old, inefficient heads. The key concept behing this is "squish band".

This is one of the most key contributors to the high outputs and efficiencies of modern engines. Worth reading up if you are interested in internal combustion engines!

i think its somewhere along the lines of 1-2 mm of clearance between the valve and piston on the exhaust stroke...dont quote me on that but i think thats what i've read b4...that makes the T-belt almost completely tolerance free...you could prob take like .030 and be ok but i dont think it would be worth the risk

There is no clearance between exhaust or intake valves.

Don't ask me how i know.. trust me.

broken timing belt = 3 bent exhaust and 3 bent intake at least on mine it did

The only way you could shave the heads and not worry about bending valves would be to put 93 quest pistons in. Ford wanted the engine to spin free and apparently the pistons are notched but after 1995 the new OBD standards took that option away becasue of the possibilty of unburned hydrocarbons building up on the pistons casuing increased emissions.

I'm not trying to be rude but, I didn't ask if I should or shouldn't do it, and I didn't say that I was or wasn't doing it. I asked how far you could deck the heads before it was too much because of the close tolerance.

Thanks

I'm not trying to be rude but, I didn't ask if I should or shouldn't do it, and I didn't say that I was or wasn't doing it. I asked how far you could deck the heads before it was too much because of the close tolerance.

trial and error...once you find the answer let us know...take .005 at a time until the valves slap the pistons then once that happens add .005 back on and thats ure answer...in fact i have a set of heads that i'll sell to u if u want to try it out

trial and error...once you find the answer let us know...take .005 at a time until the valves slap the pistons then once that happens add .005 back on and thats ure answer...in fact i have a set of heads that i'll sell to u if u want to try it out

Thanks but no....

I have enough of my own.

I found my answer, which is .006",

So, have you done this? Did it work? .006 isn't much, as I'm sure you know and torqueing will remove some of that (warp). How much were the heads warped ?

Enquiring minds want to know!! :D

B