whoo hooo

milehighcowboy

ok so as some of you know i started an Automatic to Manual Tranny swap this week. I have literly been getting off work and going straight out there. i freakin resorted to a spot light, space heater and tarps, enclosing the underside of the truck, to do my work in the dark. But i figured i would let ya'll know how i was doing and the snags i have had so far. So the first day i spent removing all the interior stuff i dont need. IE: center counsole, auto shifter, and the floor plate for the automatic. once i finished there i went and started on jacking the truck up for room and the front drive shaft. i got the front one out and stopped cause i was getting cold and was not as motivated as i am now. then the next day i started on the torsion bars. those are all i got removed the second night. took near four hours and was just too pissed off to keep going lol.

then tonight i started back up with a vengence to make up for lost time. i began with emptying the tranny fluid. and the oil. Then i removed the rear drive shaft. dropped it on my face. nice big fat lip now. Next i proceeded to disconnect the tranny cooler lines. and then the tranny electrical. dropped the front drive shaft all the way out as well. (was sitting there cause of the torsion bars preventing the final drop)

on the electrical i found that they were way differant compared to my 4 speed in the 92. there are two big plug ins on the driver side with two wires comming out a piece. and then two small plug ins on the passenger side wiht two wires a piece comming out. the driver side wires were intact and solid. but the pass side was a mess. one plug was completly disconnected (not by me) and then the other had only one wire still in it the other was broke about an inch up the line. so between myself and sam we do no think that these could be the cause for the no forward gears problem. but if any one was a comment here let me know. any way....

after dissconecting the wires and plugs from the tranny i went to work on the exhaust. took about twenty min with a hack saw to just cut it out. (gonna just get it redone at the welding shop once i am done) then i went to work on the tranny to engine bolts. i got a total of five out. two short ones two long ones and one that is between the short and long one so i guess medium in length. lol. i know pics.

thursday i am going to try and reach that last bolt and slide it on out. wel will see though.

well i will be taking some pics tomorrow i found a girl at work who will let me borrow her camera. i need to get in touch with her to make sure she brings the cords with her as well. other wise the camera is kinda usless lol. but my lip is doing much much better.

Sounds about right for a relatively new DIY'er. It NEVER goes as smoothly as you wish, NEVER takes as little time as you estimate, and ALWAYS requires more donations to the blood gods than you would like.

But the cost savings and satisfaction will linger on forever....

When he first started working with me on DIY projects, my nephew used to get annoyed when I resisted making estimates on how long a project would take. And then get frustrated when he insisted and I would estimate 1 to 6 days... give or take 3 days....

I think he understands now!

And the voice of experience says:

1) Rushing a project guarantees it will take longer.

2) When you become tired, frustrated, and de-motivated, STOP NOW.

This is fate's one and only way of notifying you that you are about to do something really stupid, painful, destructive, and expensive.

Others have any other additions?

Oh, on the wiring, check out the schematics in the Chilton's manuals to figure out what to do with them. A couple of the automatic harnesses will not be needed, and others may need to be modified/bypassed to work.

4 hours to remove Tbars :huh:

Clarification:

3.5 hours to figure it out (first timer), 0.5 hours to actually do it.

We've all been there. Learning takes time, but it stays with you forever.

getting it out is the easy part...getting it back in is the hard...gravity will no longer be on u're side...u will also need to hook up the inhibitor switch or create a jumper where the auto shifter used to connect into the harnes...if not u will not have ignition...

just take your time and it should be all good...i dont know but u might have to change the transmission crossmember...i could not get the auto to work with my manual but that was also taking the 4 bolt from a 95 auto and putting it in my 2 bolt 87 manual...but i found a 4 bolt cross member out of an 87 with a manual and it matched up fine... (this was for my lift if i wasnt doing that i would have just used the 2 bolt cross member) that being said if you end up needing the 2 bolt manual cross memeber i have 1

be careful with the ignition lock the manuals have a button to release the key the autos incorporate that into the auto shifter...i kept my old steering column so i didnt have to worry about that...

if i think of any other possible snags i'll let ya know...and if u run on anything i might forget to check back on this 1 so u can shoot me a PM and i can try to answer that way too

well wont the plastic catch thing have to be removed from the column to prevent the key lock from accidentally setting? also there could be an issue between the speedo's depending on if u had a mechanical or electric and what the tranny has...

be careful with the ignition lock the manuals have a button to release the key the autos incorporate that into the auto shifter...i kept my old steering column so i didnt have to worry about that...

nope, 2 door path should ALL have the button on the column. my 89 with auto has the button.

Clarification:

3.5 hours to figure it out (first timer), 0.5 hours to actually do it.

We've all been there. Learning takes time, but it stays with you forever.

not raggin on the guy or anything. hell he started the swap before I did. I just dont remember it ever taking me 4 hours.

only electrical thing you should have to deal with is the inhibitor switch.

This is fate's one and only way of notifying you that you are about to do something really stupid, painful, destructive, and expensive.

uh, that about wraps it up in a nutshell....... and mini has the dent to prove it sssh

and mini has the dent to prove it

hah my already dented up fender got a few wrench bashes during my rent overhaul (and a few from the tranny swap :) but i ordered a new fender ASAP cuz i felt bad :))

well wont the plastic catch thing have to be removed from the column to prevent the key lock from accidentally setting?

ok if he has the button or not dosent matter. its a keylock....

so you push the button to get the key out...or is it different on pathfinders....

i was saying that if he is going from auto to manual then he wont have the push button on the column...its got a linkage from the column to the shifter...so he would need to remove that linkage (pretty simple) so he could get his key out...but i could be wrong but i remember having that issue during stripping the auto pathy and the key was still in the ign.

Sounds about right for a relatively new DIY'er. It NEVER goes as smoothly as you wish, NEVER takes as little time as you estimate, and ALWAYS requires more donations to the blood gods than you would like.

But the cost savings and satisfaction will linger on forever....

When he first started working with me on DIY projects, my nephew used to get annoyed when I resisted making estimates on how long a project would take. And then get frustrated when he insisted and I would estimate 1 to 6 days... give or take 3 days....

I think he understands now!

And the voice of experience says:

1) Rushing a project guarantees it will take longer.

I have only one more addition....Drink beer.

I always stop once I start getting really frustrated first off to go get something to wrap up the bleeding with. Second is grab a beer and sit back evaluate the situation.

That is a good one!

I use cigars the same way. When it starts getting grrrrrr.... I sit back, light up a stick, and just relax and enjoy it for about 5 minutes. 9 time out of 10, a solution pops into my head and I go back to work with a plan.

i can get my key out of the ignition no problem and the auto shifter is disconnected and the battery is removed. ande it does have the little push button to get it out. for the torsion bars. no it took 4 hours of actuall work plus a few hours of asking questions and stuff. they were rusted and had absolutly no grease left in them. i got some pics today and i will post em up on photo bucket tonight with a link.

yeps. why does it happen that way? i wish i could always be relaxed like that working on my vehicles....that way i could actually get something done in the time allotted :)

:hide:

Tranny Conversion photo album

OK so here are the pics i took today. its a public link to my facebook album, photobucket was not working :shrug: lol. but any way each has a caption i am really woundering what all the plugins are on the auto and the manual :help: . most em as captions are quesitons. if yall can answer em for me i would be greatly appreciative :bow: . thanks guys. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...