Taurus fan upgrade

Guest SuperSon

Guest SuperSon

I picked up a couple of fan today and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the 87 or 91 will work for the taurus fan upgrade?

I cant find an 88 :unsure: They look identical. One on the left is a 91 and the other one is a 87 The only difference that I can see is the motor

tfan.jpg

Oughta work just fine.

These appear to be the lower power one speed fan from the base Taurus (at least the one on the right is - I can only see two wires on it). I have have only worked with the 2 speed 3.8L models. I also do not recall seeing the "clipped off" shroud corner on the 2 speed fan.

Guest SuperSon

:unsure: hmmm....I gotta go back and look for another one from a 3.8L. Ive seen one laying on top of a tempo still mounted on the radiator but not quite sure if that came off of a 88 aurus next to it. It has a plug missing tho but looking at that other end of the molex its got more pins inside. I can pick that up and if its not the right one I can always return it.

Once again you answered my question MWS.Thanks bud :beer::beer:

Oh yeah the one on the left has 2 wires also

3.8L Continentals and Sables used the same fan.

Key things to look for: Three wires, at least two of which will be bigger than what these fans had. Usually a "D" shaped connector with 3 terminals.

I'm pretty sure the shroud is a full rectangle in shape - without the clipped corner.

Yup. You will need to add a couple washers (the last being a lock washer) to the fan mount studs and re-install the nuts to hold the pulley to the water pump.

The only (moderately) difficult parts are:

- figuring out how to mount the fan

- wiring it up

Mounting: Everybody figures out their own creative technique. Just make sure it is very secure and quite close but not rubbing directly on the fins. I went nuts and welded up a nice frame with tabs mounting to the ford mounts so it is really easy to mount and remove.

Wiring: Lots of options here with the 2 speed fan.... Just keep in mind that HI speed draws about 40 amps, so the average relay or fan control module will not handle it for long - you WILL need a high current model or you will be replacing relays regularly.

For hi I like the Flex-A-Lite 33054 for a variable speed, or a Bosch 75A relay (0 332 002 156) for simple on-off. Again, I went nuts and got a little creative and used a Flex-a-lite 31165 automatic variable speed controlling the low speed fan, and then a manual switch and 75A bosch relay to override the low speed and activate high speed. Took some creativity to figure out the wiring, but this works out sweet. In normal traffic, the low speed only comes on intermittently, and at very low speed so the noise and current draw are almost unnoticeable. I have yet to need hurricane speed, but it is nice to know it is there! Keep in mind that hurricane mode is sucking well over 1/2 your alternator output, so running lights at the same time is unwise.

Here's a pretty informative write up on a similar project:

http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm

And here's the ultra-redneck crude way:

http://s-seriesforum.com/how-to-efan.html

Edited by mws

Wouldn't that be sweet!

The Taurus fan is the popular default as they are powerful, reliable, plentiful, cheap and relatively easy to adapt to many vehicles. And if it dies, replacements are plentiful and cheap. I'm trying to squeeze two of them into my tow van.

Hey, someone remembers Frankenvan!

Sadly, she had to be placed on the back burner. I took several months off to take care of some family issues, and once I had that wrapped up, it was time to sell my '87 pathy (little grey) to my nephew and build another pathy for me (little red, the '88). February was supposed to be the official Frankenvan project resurrection month, but then little grey needed attention. And little black (another '87 5 speed) joined the flock.

So Frankenvan continues to patiently wait. I hope to spend next weekend on her while waiting for parts for little grey.

She is fully painted with all windows in and sealed up. Engine, trans, and suspension are all mostly done. Still have to install lines for the airbags and plumb the brakes. Then to attack the electrical, interior, and HVAC. I estimate another 200-400 hours and she'll be ready to stomp.

Edited by mws

Guest SuperSon

Thanks for the tech advice guys. MWS you are the man :beer: Ill be headin back out to the junkyard sometime this week .

Guest SuperSon

whoa .9 blades :D Hope i can find one . Seems that all the taurus sable and tempo out in the yard the day I was there is all gone.I lucked out on the 2 regular fan i got coz they just put those 2 cars in when I got there but unfortunately its not the one I need .

must be a popular fan for a lot of customizers.

Thanks JJ :beer:

oh yeah ,It looks like it doesnt matter what year its from as long as it has 9 blades and more wires for hi and low right instead of the 2 wires from a base model ford.

Edited by SuperSon

The pics of the better write up arent working right now, has anyone here got pictures of their setup? especially R50's but i just want to get an idea of what i'll be looking at.

Turbopath, are the early 90's maxima fans dual speed?

This is the write-up I mostly used for reference when I did mine. When I was researching the install its the one that most people referred to. It's a pretty good write-up of the install in a Mustang. You'll be doing basically the same thing.

Ok I keep seeing "Tempo" mentioned, but the Tempo is an entirely different car and afaik do not have that fan. Mine did not at least. :shrug:

Taurus and Sable = Same basic car.

Tempo and Topaz = Same basic car

But the two groups are nothing alike.

This is the write-up I mostly used for reference when I did mine. When I was researching the install its the one that most people referred to. It's a pretty good write-up of the install in a Mustang. You'll be doing basically the same thing.

bookmarked! thank you :)