CB radio

xkrewx

ok so i got he radio hooked into power....

how do you guys suggest that i route the antenna wire? :shrug:

I found a ton of stuff on this subjet for j**ps but nothing for pathfinders.... -study-

Edited by xkrewx

you got the magnet mount?

where do you want the antenna?

I had my old magnamount K40, rear centre... ran the wire to the back above the door sills (pull out the rubber trim/weather stripping, and you'll have to pull down/back some of the plastic trim....) then out the back hatch.

I put a big piece of clear 3M plastic sticker down under the base, as some jackassholes ripped mine off (while I was christmas shopping) they dragged it down the roof, and scratched the hell out of it.

i routed mine from antenna attached to drivers side fender through top of wheel well into firewall through said firewall up behind dash up through a-pillar to radio mounted where rear view mirror use to be. take note i have no headliner so it was easy from a-pillar to where radio is. it's all personal preference though. just get in there and look to see the best way to route it. take your time and have fun.

you got the magnet mount?

where do you want the antenna?

I had my old magnamount K40, rear centre... ran the wire to the back above the door sills (pull out the rubber trim/weather stripping, and you'll have to pull down/back some of the plastic trim....) then out the back hatch.

I put a big piece of clear 3M plastic sticker down under the base, as some jackassholes ripped mine off (while I was christmas shopping) they dragged it down the roof, and scratched the hell out of it.

its a magnet mount but this antenna is just temp till i get my wilson 1000,

I'll have to post pics of where i put the radio, i feel like its a unique spot and very easy to get at if i want to put different radio in later.

...so anyway...out the back hatch you say?...sounds good to me!!

note: i dont want to put tape on mine but would it mess up my tuneing if i was to take it off and put in inside whenever i was parked somewhere like a mall? and also are you still using the k 40, i found it for like $30 and im wondering if 1) thats an accurate price 2) should i just get that instead of the $70 wilson?

Edited by xkrewx

The K 40 was awesome actually, and theyre typically not cheap.

I had the magnamount, and usually I disconnected it if I was at the mall, or in an underground, or a sketchy place (I shoulda known better the day mine got swiped)...

How much does rooftop placement affect range? Due to the occasional parking garage, and swapping roofrack cargo options, I'm leaning towards a permanent mounting in the front bumper, probably a 4 ft Firestick. Currently I use a magentic rooftop mount (cheapy) and cig lighter MidLand portable, which is OK for talking to other trucks when wheeling, and OK for weatherband. But I'd rather upgrade to a Cobra handheld, and hardwire it to the Firestick off the front bumper, assuming I'll see an increased range.

Does that make sense?

m.

I have heard, and this is now being relayed by someone who doesnt know anything about CB's (other than I might recognize one in a crowd) that having the antenna on the roof is a good thing, for one, you are up high, and also, appearently it can use the roof of your truck to bounce, or reflect the airwaves. But, you may take that idea with a bottle or two of headlight fluid. :shrug:

Herm, you may want to look at upgrading your CB... I have a cobra handheld CB (although not hard wired for power or antenna) and it was only good in very close range, it didnt go much further than I could see.

I know Cobra has a decent hand held which has the 'base' in it, I hear they are not too bad:

http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product.php?p...cat=1695&page=2

ok so the cigarette lighter has a green and black wire comeing out of it...am i to assume that the green is ground and the black is power?

Yes, that's correct.

BTW, Pezzy- I have the Cobra CB you linked to. It's the only unit that I felt was small enough to fit in the Pathy without being hard-to-see, hard-to-access, or getting in the way.

An older pic:

cobracb_wide.jpg

man ive tried connectiong to both and the damn thing just wont power up....i guess tmrw ill just try and rewire it with different connectors :shrug:

Check your cigarette lighter fuse. The cigarette lighter is only live when the ignition switch is in ACC or ON.

well i didnt check the fuse but there is a light that turns on inside the lighter when the car is on...so i assume that the fuse is fine :help:

Edited by xkrewx

k i checked the fuse and its fine. im outa ideas..... xplore how did you wire yours?

....does the antenna have to be plugged in for it to turn on?

...should i take the fuse that came with the cb off since the cigarette lighter has a fuse already?....

i must be retarded or something :angry:

Edited by xkrewx

Get a long wire and just take the lead that you had attached to the lighter and jump it directly to the battery (temporarily) and see if it works. You may have a bad ground or the radio itself is non-functional. This would at least eliminate these two possibilities.

I found a rubber grommet on the drivers side of the firewall. It is a wiring passageway maybe like 1" by 2" I think it is the easiest one before drilling. I have a 6 gauge power cable running through it, I just used a drill and made a nice hole for it. Sometimes it sucks to mess with it, it doesnt want to pop back in, but some hard finger work and some adrenalin and you'll pop that thing in and out in a minute each.

I found a rubber grommet on the drivers side of the firewall. It is a wiring passageway maybe like 1" by 2" I think it is the easiest one before drilling. I have a 6 gauge power cable running through it, I just used a drill and made a nice hole for it. Sometimes it sucks to mess with it, it doesnt want to pop back in, but some hard finger work and some adrenalin and you'll pop that thing in and out in a minute each.

do you have a picture cause the only one i could find was stuffed with wires already and i couldnt get it to budge :furious:

Its probably the one, it's stuffed with wires, you need strong fingers to get it out but it is possible with help of a flat head. I've taken it out a number of times, popping it back in is just as much fun.

When I drilled it, I drilled off to the edge (while it was still in) so I have about half rubber and half metal drilled, but this is completely unrelated to my CB wire. I did the CB just tucked in the edge of that grommet.

Edited by FUELER