STUCK IN 4WD

ticker

We got a bunch of snow here a couple weeks ago. Really it was only about eight inch's but because there seems to be only one plow for the entire city of Columbus, the side roads were a mess for over a week. Needless to say I was having all sorts of fun in 4wd and was using it when ever I got the chance, because you know ...why not. Anyway I would have to shift in and out of 4wd as I would go from cleared street to uncleared street. I noticed that especially in the mornings I would shift it out of 4wd but it wouldn't actually disengage-light still on and I could feel the front wheels turning. It only occurs sometimes so I am wondering if there is something I could lube up or if it could have been frozen or what the deal is. So far I have avoided driving on bare pavement in 4wd for any real length of time and I would like to avoid doing so in the future. If anyone has an idea or experienced the same problem let me know if it was fixable or just something I'll have to live with. :beer:

thanks

The auto hubs only disengage when you drive in reverse in 2x4.

they will never disengage when going forward. So you might be in 2x4 but your front hubs are still locked.

They disengage when you go from 4wd to 2wd AND move the vehical in the opposite direction of travel.

If you do it slow enough you can hear them disengage....

What triggers the 4WD light to turn on and off. If your hubs are stuck in the engages position, that wouldn't cause the light to stay on would it? It should be the t/case causing the light to either be on or off.

Asking out of ignorance. I don't know the answer.

The switch for the 4x4 light is on the t-case.

IMO its just that the tcase is cold and the oil is thich so it wont pop out of 4x4. try backing up a few inches and going forward another frew inches. I know my front manual hubs wont unlock when you put them in 2x4 cause they stick, but if I go back and forth abit they pop out.

If the shifter lever moves to the 2WD position, there is no way for the t-case to "stick" in 4WD. It moves or it doesn't. The hubs are the sticking point.

The switch for the 4x4 light is on the t-case.

In mine, if you don't go in the opposite direction 3 meters is it? The light will remain on even if you go to 2wd from 4hi or lo. Also mine used to be very stiff a long time ago but changing the fluid to a synthetic and using it more often helped that.

OK, I think I need to clarify. I understand that I need to put the vehicle in reverse to fully disengage the hubs. On the auto hubs you can switch in and out of 4wd on the fly so to speak. First time I switch into 4wd I am always stopped otherwise I'll get a nasty grind from the transfer case. After that you should be able to go back and forth while driving at a slow speed without trouble. It's my understanding that when you switch into 2wd from 4wd while moving the hubs are still turning but they are not actually turning the front wheels thus allowing you to later switch into 4wd with out having to stop. The problem I have is that when shift it back into 2wd the light stays on and the front wheels are still engaged. Working the shifter back and forth a few times usually gets it to shift. If it's really stubborn I'll put it into reverse which so far always works. I was just wondering if there is something on the t-case or hubs that needs to be adjusted or lubed.

Edited by ticker

It's my understanding that when you switch into 2wd from 4wd while moving the hubs are still turning but they are not actually turning the front wheels thus allowing you to later switch into 4wd with out having to stop. The problem I have is that when shift it back into 2wd the light stays on and the front wheels are still engaged. Working the shifter back and forth a few times usually gets it to shift. If it's really stubborn I'll put it into reverse which so far always works. I was just wondering if there is something on the t-case or hubs that needs to be adjusted or lubed.

But isn't the lever a direct link to the tcase, which means when you push it into 2wd, your arm action moves the gear? Are you actually moving it into the actual 2wd position and still feel the wheels being powered? Maybe its just taking more effort because the hubs are still locked and the diff in the front has to rotate by just the wheel power. And yeah, changing fluids is a good idea.

As 88 said, going between 2wd and 4wd is all mechanical linkage. The components in the transfer box are nearly identical to a manual transmission; the shift linkage (levers and shafts) move the forks which slide the sleeves on and off the sprockets.

If moving the shift lever to 2WD does not immediately disengage 4WD (regardless of the light, the switch can lie) something is probably loose or worn. Changing the fluid (particularly to synthetic) may help compensate for either.

Hubs are a different matter, but they do not control the transfer box.