Help with my resume

SC88Pathy

Anyone care to look this over real quick? Gotta go turn it in in about an hour:

Andrew "You don't need to know my last name"

666 Pathfinder Trail

Nowhere, CA 55555

Cell: 634-5789

Objective: To gain an internship that will give me experience working with the skills I have been learning for the past four years.

Qualifications:

* Highly motivated and willing to learn

* Reliable

* Computer literate. Highly proficient with Macs as well as Windows. Experienced in Microsoft Office. Basic knowledge of Excel.

Experience:

July 2005 - Present

Redwood Pizzeria Felton, CA

General Kitchen Help

*Open and set up kitchen

*Answer phones and take orders

*Close and clean

March 2005 - May 2005

J Tal Pomeroy MD Office Soquel, CA

Temp. File Clerk

*File medical documents

*Pull patients charts

*Fulfill medical records requests

*I temped here many times between 2003 and 2005 for a total of approximately 8 months

September 2002 - January 2003

Santa Cruz Mountain Winegrowers Association Aptos, CA

Office Assistant

*Answered phones and assisted the public

*Made copies and stuffed envelopes

*Helped update and create Excel spreadsheets

*Wrote a history of wine production in the Santa Cruz Mountains

Zayante Vineyard Felton, CA

General Help

*Many different duties throughout the years, this is my parents business

*Assist in all stages of the business from grape growing to crushing to bottling to sales and delivery

Lets see those skills I'v been learning are: how to drink massive quantities of alcahol, procrastinate, and still manage to get the homework done. And I'v been learning them at UCSC, but that's going to be implied since the employers know I'm from UCSC.

i need to go back and rework mine now that its been almost a year since i've done so...but heres the gist of mine:

Objective:

To acquire a position in the field of Mechanical Engineering that will allow my horizon’s to be broadened with opportunities to obtain technical experience while applying leadership and problem solving skills that will improve daily life for a variety of consumers.

Education:

University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering with a Minor in Mathematics, expected May 2006

Work Experience:

UNC- Charlotte (MEGR Department.), January 2006 to present

Machine Laboratory Teaching Assistant

Teach proper safety and machining techniques to inexperienced Sophomores whom have little or no machining experience.

UNC-Charlotte (ITS Dept.), August 2005 to October 2005 Repair Technician

Temporarily hired to assist the ITS department repair the campus Ethernet network in two dormitories. Individual computers had to be inspected to diagnose the repair that needed to be made.

Academic:

Design Project: Currently working on a team of four members to research and design heating and cooling hardware in correlation with three other teams of four as one “company” to efficiently design a heating and cooling system as well as the water distribution system.

Senior Project: Currently working on a team of six members to research airfoils while designing and building apparatus’ to allow for adjustable flow as well as a data acquisition system to gather lift and drag data.

Junior Project: Worked as a team of seven assigned members to research, design, and build a robot to fulfill certain design criteria.

Skills Software: Pro/Engineer 2000/Wildfire version 1 & 2, MathCAD, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Ulead Video Studio 9, AutoCAD, Maple, Matlab

Engineering: Strain gauges, strength testing, basic electrical circuit building , wind-tunnel testing

Machining: Lathe, mill, drill press, basic CNC programming

Self-Taught: Automobile mechanic, computer builder, fabricator

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i should have changed taught to acquired but hey that is what landed me my job (the ability to drive to learn something on my own) out of all of my interviews i got the most ?'s and complements on that aspect of me

it should all fit on 1 page (for entry level) and build the resume to fit the position being applied for

I had a ton of other jobs that didnt really apply so i didnt list them but talked about them in the interviews

always have a list of references with you that if requested you can supply the interviewer

dont publish ure GPA unless its like a 3.0 or higher (i graduated with a 2.6 which is not great but if they never asked they never knew and gpa's are overrated anyways

I also built my resume so they would have to ask me ?'s i could answer mostly about the projects...just give enough information to make them wonder what u did and then for the most part you stay away from strange questions like how does ohms law relate to fluid dynamics and thermodynamics (which that 1 caught me completely off guard)

I have been accused of being too straight forward on several interviews and responded that im not here to bull@!*% im here to show them who i am and what i have to offer and if its not what they want then im not the guy plain and simple...no1 has seemed to have a problem with that but told me it could hurt me later at other jobs but thats just how i am...u get what u see

i got this job back in march and didnt graduate till may so i felt pretty lucky and their interview process was wicked...2 hrs on campus with 3 guys and then 7 hrs at their location with 8 or 9 different people...

good luck

:aok:

Lets see those skills I'v been learning are: how to drink massive quantities of alcahol, procrastinate, and still manage to get the homework done. And I'v been learning them at UCSC, but that's going to be implied since the employers know I'm from UCSC.

i'd still put the college on there. the other stuff you better not even mention. be prepared to pee on command. :)

I have been accused of being too straight forward on several interviews and responded that im not here to bull@!*% im here to show them who i am and what i have to offer and if its not what they want then im not the guy plain and simple...no1 has seemed to have a problem with that but told me it could hurt me later at other jobs but thats just how i am...u get what u see

Since I am in the middle of this myself, what exactly did they want of you? I don't quite understand why you wouldn't be honest and straight forward. Are they wanting you to beat around the bush? Inflate the truth, discount yourself? I don't quite understand what your interviewers were suggesting as a better approach.

that's a good one unc. the only other thing i'd add is that once you have worked a job or two education should be after experience.

i always was thought to write a resume that would compell some questions but i am not really sure how to accomplish that as i never get many questions and as a matter of fact, my last interview they kept asking me if i had any questions which after their shpiel about their company i really didn't. lol one of the onterviewers was a previous co-worker though but most interviews go about that way anyway. hopefully no more inteviewing. i got an offer last night. the only thing, the offer was $xx.04/h which seems rather strange and i am thinking that maybe they expect me to counter it as i have never seen an offer like that. what do you guys think? it's a pretty darn fair offer though. i'm going to have to do a little bit of digging still before i decide but i really like this company and i think it may be a perfect fit.

the per hr may be a translation of a salary based income...most people dont know how to judge a salary so some companies break it down in per hr and never really say its salary and its always good to see what their overtime policy is like me im salary base and i usually work about 45 hrs a week and we dont have overtime...

another thing i learned: a weeks vacation = 5 days not 7

Since I am in the middle of this myself, what exactly did they want of you? I don't quite understand why you wouldn't be honest and straight forward. Are they wanting you to beat around the bush? Inflate the truth, discount yourself? I don't quite understand what your interviewers were suggesting as a better approach.

you have to get a read on the interviewer(s) I dont try to put myself down but they most of the times ask what your weakness is and i'll tell them but with a way that i am working to improve that or how i could improve that in the work field...dont sell yourself short either but dont go in boastful..theres a happy median

dont bull@!*% them...if u dont know say i dont know but dont just say i dont know say i'm not familiar with that but i am familiar with this or something to that effect

on my 2nd interview with my job i think i interviewed iwht 7 people while i was there and they were all different (some laid back some die hard im gonna scare the @!*% out of you and others other ways)

be ready to answer basic questions...i think the toughest is "i've read your resume but i'd like you to tell me about you, your accomplishments, your failures and how you overcome them and prevent them from happening again etc etc"

or Hi im so and so and you introduce your self and they say ok tell me what i need to know

Edited by unccpathfinder

be ready to answer basic questions...i think the toughest is "i've read your resume but i'd like you to tell me about you, your accomplishments, your failures and how you overcome them and prevent them from happening again etc etc"

i think i have been asked that only once in my whole working life. once!

as to the other thing. i did the math for a yearly income and it's not rounded at all either. the position the offer comes with is an hourly one + OT. there are a few questions i do have however so, i'll have to ask them.