Front End Pulsing

sorexcuse

My 97 Pathy is having an 'issue'. Driving down the road, nice and smooth, no issues in either 2 or 4wd. When I apply the brake there is a "rhythmic pulsing" (almost what I would call a wobble) coming from the right front wheel area. Would think it was the brake or rotor but there is no feedback coming through the pedal or steering for that matter. Pulled the caliper and pads, they weren't binding and the pads appear to be wearing even/straight.

Any idea where to start looking? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

(Stats - 97 Pathfinder, A.T., recent tires and brake pads among other things, 159k miles)

Welcome!

Recent tires? Same time frame as the pulsing? Possible a wheel not put on quite right? Did you get the lug nuts re-tourqed at 50 miles or so?

Other than a rotor, I can not think of anything else, although mine does it as well. I find a good, hard stomp on the brakes gets rid of it (I tend to be a rather light brake user, rather than heavy all the time. My pads last forever).

Good luck.

Thanks, guess the rotors are the easiest to start with (will do pads as well). Strange that it would be the brakes, is seems to have started suddenly. First noticed it after it sat for a weekend while I was out of town, it did it backing out of the driveway when I applied the brake.

Will report back once they are swapped out.

Try replacing the front rotors. They are about $20 each.

You can't even get the cheapest Honda Civic rotors from Kragen for $20, where the heck are you getting your numbers from??

I paid $60 a rotor for some Mountain Japanese rotors and they are only mediocre.... Price range I saw was from 40 each to 100 each....

PS warped brake rotors would intensify the pulse upon any braking.... sounds like wheels or tires to me....

You can't even get the cheapest Honda Civic rotors from Kragen for $20, where the heck are you getting your numbers from??

I paid $60 a rotor for some Mountain Japanese rotors and they are only mediocre.... Price range I saw was from 40 each to 100 each....

PS warped brake rotors would intensify the pulse upon any braking.... sounds like wheels or tires to me....

Go to www.rockauto.com. The cheapest rotors are $16.53. The next most expensive are $21.79, then $25.79.

Just for fun I looked up a 97 Honda Civic and the cheapest five rotors range from $9.70 to $28.79.

Pathfiner Rotors

Okay, I'm feeling pretty dumb. Cold temps was a good call, but something that I hadn't expected. It got much worse on the way to pick up parts yesterday. And the winner is...

Cracked rotor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a crack all of the way through the outside portion of the rotor.

Not sure if I missed it on the last inspection or if this past week got it to crack all of the way through.

Have all the parts so I'm going ahead and replacing the bearings while I'm taking everything down.

Thanks for the suggestions, got me off my butt so that I would do something about it.

PS - picked up in-stock rotors at Advanced Auto for a little less than $29 each.

And the winner is...

Cracked rotor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a crack all of the way through the outside portion of the rotor.

I would never have thought of that as I have never heard or experienced a cracked rotor. Good find.