I got jacked on Ebay feedback

88pathoffroad

So. I won an auction for a nice piece of fluorite from England. $17 total, I think it was.

101406-14.jpg

After I won the auction and paid for it, I sent a friendly email:

Hi there! If you happen to have any loose bits of what-have-you laying around that you don't want anymore, feel free to toss those in the box and get rid of them. ;) I collect a little of everything. Thank you! Positive feedback coming your way!

No response. After about another 12 days...

What's the word on this item? I haven't recieved it yet and it's been nearly two weeks since the auction ended. Please let me know. Thanks.

Response:

Hi there,

It should be there today or tomorrow at the latest!

Regards, Frank

OK, cool. Checked the mail and voila! It came via USPS Priority Mail in the 2"x6.5"x9.5" pre-made box they use. I unwrap the specimen eagerly and to my dismay, several crushed pieces of crystal fall out along with some dust/powder. The guy wrapped a 1.5" thick specimen in Saran Wrap, then newspaper and stuck it into a 2" wide box. The most fragile parts were on top right in the middle of the flat part of the box where if it were dropped, stepped on or had anything stacked on it, it would most likely be damaged. I sent another email telling the guy that it arrived damaged.

It arrived today, actually. USPS sucks, several crystals on top of the specimen were damaged or crushed. When I unwrapped it a bunch of fluorite dust came out along with several cubes. :( You might use a bigger box in the future, that one was evidently too narrow to properly cushion the item inside. Thanks for the response.

Waited two days...no response. SO I did what any normal person would do when ignored and sent a poorly packaged piece. I left him a neutral feedback on Ebay.

Arrived damaged by USPS after 12 days, should've used a bigger box. Thanks tho.

He immediately responded with a NEGATIVE feedback for me:

Block this bidder! Does not follow eBay guidelines for leaving feedback!!!

Then sent me this email:

After my several years of doing business on ebay I have learned to spot

someone who shouldn't be buying there from a mile away. The email you

sent asking me to add in a few "extras" that might be sitting around was

my first clue. There was no way you were going to be pleased with our

transaction. Someone who asks for something for nothing is a moocher, a

user, and in a sense sort of a blackmailer when they have something they

can hold over your head...like simple feedback on ebay. 12 days or

whatever it was is plenty acceptable when doing business on ebay. I've

shipped many items the same way yours was with no problems whatsoever.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if you have that specimen sitting there

looking as nice as it did before it left home. It had a sheen about it

that was very excellent for the locale.

Ebay guidelines state you are to try to work out a solution to problems

before leaving anything other than positive feedback. Your email didn't

suggest anything of that nature. In return for your neutral, I left you

a negative for not following the guidelines and warned other dealers not

to sell to you and blocked you from bidding on any items of mine in the

future. I suggest you purchase things locally and leave ebay for those

who follow the rules. I notice my negative is not your first. With only

30 or so total you are running close to 10% negative. That should be a

sign to you that something you are doing isn't quite right.

*sigh*

Response:

You, sir, are a classic example of an extreme reactionary. I hope you don't behave this way in everyday life or you probably won't live much longer.

I emailed you TWO DAYS ago regarding the damage to the specimen you sent. After receiving no response, I left a NEUTRAL feedback stating the exact details of my experience in dealing with you. The fact of the matter is, you mailed a 1.5" thick specimen with fragile crystals on the top side in a box that was 2" wide. The plastic and newspaper you wrapped it in provided very little protection. How do you expect that 1/4" of plastic and paper on each side would protect fluorite crystals? Answer: IT DOESN'T. It is not MY fault that you were incautious in packaging the item. Apparently it's simply my fault for letting you know about it and not waiting more than 48 hours for a response after telling you what happened. By the way, I paid for a different auction that ended two days AFTER your auction and still received the item way before yours. Same method of delivery, USPS Priority Mail, and from Georgia, no less.

How does asking for anything extra equate to me personally being a "moocher"? I give rocks away every chance I get to friends, kids, or people who are just plain interested in geology or rocks. That's just me, though. I wasn't disappointed that the box contained only what I paid for, and I did NOT expect anything extra. I just put the idea out there just in case you happened to be a more generous type of person. Apparently I was horribly wrong.

The damage to this item is real. I suppose the single crystal, powdered fluorite and galena that fell out of the plastic upon unwrapping it were the extras I asked about? Somehow I strongly doubt that. That's why you didn't get a negative feedback. I am not one to post negatives for no real reason, unlike yourself. Isn't retaliatory negative feedback a no-no according to Ebay's Feedback Forum? Hmmm. I notice that you have more than one withdrawn feedback. YOU sure have a perfect record!

By the way, the guidelines for feedback on Ebay are not hard-and-fast rules, they are just that, GUIDELINES. A person can and will leave whatever they desire after a sale. Consider yourself lucky you got off with a neutral this time. F@cking prick.

I respond to the negative feedback thusly:

Reply by 88pathoffroad: I left a NEUTRAL for poor packaging and I get NEGATIVE in return? A$$hole! F-U!

He responds to my neutral feedback thusly:

Reply by geoasis: Would have refunded purchase if asked. Wanted extras for free. Block user.

Then I get this email today:

You are obviously the one with the anger problem and feel a need to take

it out on persons you have no daily contact with. Happen to others in

your life as well??? I bet so. Get a grip and get off ebay, you don't

belong there. Have never felt so blackmailed in my many years on ebay.

If you have the guts, take that rock I sent you out into the street and

take a hammer to it. Maybe then you will really destroy it, otherwise,

at this point, you have no right to enjoy it. You won't, because despite

everything that has happened, or not, you still like it. This is why you

are such a loser.

Wow, just...wow. How do people like this live their life? Any ideas what I should respond to his followup with? I can write one more one-liner on his Feedback.

Thing is, that piece is worth more like $30-$50. The fluorite is green indoors under artificial light but fluoresces blue in daylight, very strongly blue in UV light and is very sought-after by rock collectors. I'm keeping it, I just wish he would have been a sensible person to deal with.

fun fun... Well I agree with your orginal response, and do agree that buddy went off the deep end, there's no reason to follow him. I'd say take the higher road, and dont stoop to the childish replies... you've said more than enough.

or keep it short and simple... without insults -- reiterating that your only issue was the damage b/c of packaging, and poor communications skills of the seller.

The fluorite is green indoors under artificial light but fluoresces blue in daylight, very strongly blue in UV light and is very sought-after by rock collectors.

that's cool...

I have a ring, that the stone changes colour under different light... never knew what it was (it's not some gay mood ring) sometimes it is pink, and other times green (I think, havent worn the ring in ages)

I'm thinking about emailing back...

Boy, you're really full of yourself, aren't you? Do you even know what blackmail means? It doesn't mean someone nicely asking if you wanted to give anything away, it means someone is demanding something of you and I certainly didn't demand anything of you. I never held feedback over your head. You would have recieved a positive if the item had arrived undamaged, but it didn't due to your carelessness. Your lack of communication regarding shipping or delivery time (no email whatsoever after auction's end) and regarding the damage problem (2 days after reciept of the item) resulted in a neutral for you, which does not detract from your precious feedback score anyway. Blackmail? I think not. Need a reminder of how I asked you originally?

"Hi there! If you happen to have any loose bits of what-have-you laying around that you don't want anymore, feel free to toss those in the box and get rid of them. I collect a little of everything. Thank you! Positive feedback coming your way!"

By the way, I'll be keeping the fluorite, it's worth way more than the $9 you originally asked for. It will have it's own special display place in my collection, with a nice note saying "Won cheap on Ebay from an asshole who didn't know what he was selling". Thanks for the sweet deal! Don't you research your specimens before pricing them? Rogerley fluorite generally goes for WAY more than what I paid. So thank you for the great deal and please remember to have a nice day. Don't kick any puppies on the way to cry about your loss to your wife.

that's cool...

I have a ring, that the stone changes colour under different light... never knew what it was (it's not some gay mood ring) sometimes it is pink, and other times green (I think, havent worn the ring in ages)

Alexandrite does that, so does kunzite and tanzanite. I'd have to look it up. Some man-made stones do that too, though.

well, yeah, I dont agree that this guy deserves any respect... obviously went off the deep end to start with. I just dont agree with sinking to others level.

(no matter how amusing that email was!)

I hate ebay for just that reason. People love to hide behind their computer screens and think they can say/do what they want because they'll never see you...which MAY be true, but it's ridiculous. Another classic example of peoples abuse of the internet is the rant and raves section in your local craigslist.

Sorry 'bout your luck 88. I'd run him over w/ your rig if I were you (and he weren't in England...fcukin 'Brits :rolleyes: )

dave just went through a similar situation and the guy was nothing but RUDE. dave put a complaint against him via ebay. not that it'll help, but hopefully he'll get his $$ back. P...

send the email!!!!!! -bounce-

This thread is funny.

I currently am dealing with a non payer (transfer case). My aution stated, and very clearly...

No Postage. COD only. And Local Pick Up Only.

The f*ckwit lives in NSW and must not be literate. I live in Vic, like up to 1000ks away.

Now this d!ckhead takes weeks to reply to anything and I know if I leave a neg feedback (of which he has several) he will tarnish my perfect 100% pos feedback by leaving me a neg too.

I hate ebay for just that reason.  People love to hide behind their computer screens and think they can say/do what they want because they'll never see you...which MAY be true, but it's ridiculous.  Another classic example of peoples abuse of the internet is the rant and raves section in your local craigslist. 

Sorry 'bout your luck 88.  I'd run him over w/ your rig if I were you (and he weren't in England...fcukin 'Brits :rolleyes: )

Guy lives in Springdale, Arizona, actually. Anyone want the address? Go put a burning paper bag of dog poo on his doorstep for me. ;) The fluorite itself is from Weardale, England.

Hey, an update!

New email:

Dear 88pathoffroad,

geoasis has filed a request to mutually withdraw feedback for the transaction shown below. eBay allows members to withdraw feedback for a transaction if they both agree it is no longer appropriate.

If you agree to this request, the feedback you received AND any feedback you left for this transaction will be withdrawn at the same time. Withdrawn feedback remains in both members' profiles but is no longer counted in the feedback score. If you have not left feedback for this transaction, you may still agree to this request, but you will not be able to leave feedback at a later date.

I agreed to have them withdrawn. The text will still stay there so people can see what an idiot the guy is, though.