Mysterious White Smoke...

thisbenguy

Skinny... 89 3.0L Path... While driving the engine with one final whine shut off... There was fuel in the tank, but shut down like it was empty... Engine will crank without starting... Fuel filter and Distributor cap changed with no relief and fuel pump is still working... When cranking a mysterious white smoke puffs out from the air filter... Any Ideas?

I'm with you on this... I put even odds on timing belt failure.

I hope I'm wrong, but afraid I may not be. Then again, if you didn't hear any scary noises as it shut down, maybe a relatively painless failure?

230K Not really sure what happened wasn't paying attention... manual and was moving out from a stop sign when i heard what i believe to be a loud rev and then silence. I didn't touch any belts and they all looked intact...

Edited by thisbenguy

You can't see the timing belt just by opening the hood. Take the distributor cap off, and see if the rotor turns when the engine is cranked over. If not, your timing belt snapped.

Not really. Get someone to crank it while you look at the rotor. If the rotor doesn't turn, you're in some trouble. Just check for wear on the contact points in the cap, and on the rotor, though, if it isn't spinning, the contacts are the least of your worries.

230K Not really sure what happened wasn't paying attention... manual and was moving out from a stop sign when i heard what i believe to be a loud rev and then silence. I didn't touch any belts and they all looked intact...

rugh rough... 230k is a bad mileage for not knowing if the t belt is changed...mine popped at 225k...so yea i'd check for the t belt if its broken cross ure fingers and pray to the valve gods and you might be very lucky to have not bent any...i was doing 50 when mine popped and hit the clutch instantly (maybe my saving grace to kill the bottom end rotation from coasting in gear) and i bent 3 valves...

sssh afraid i'm gunna have to also go with the concensus of t-belt..... just pray there was little damage done, but with cranking it post-dying it may have valve damage now... check the rotor like simon and the others said ;)

• 2 weeks later...

didn't do a compression check... the garage/sidewalk that i call a shop isn't equipped with those tools... the bolt was gone from the balancer, looks like it was sheared off inside... don't know how long it has been gone, however the belt tension is holding it together... but hey... at least it runs, only needs to last me another year till i upgrade to an Xearth