Broken sway bar linkage---

Guest Sam

Guest Sam

Well, my Pathy was ill for awhile. I replaced all the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc etc in the front end, which stopped the shuddering.

But the back still sways sometimes like a dog wagging its tail. I know the problem... one of the sway bars is dangling underneath, as the bracket holding it broke right off.

The funny part os that for offroading, it's awesome. I get this absolutely crazy flex for a stock truck, all because of this broken bit. I know they have sway bars that have disconnecting levers on them to do this, but I don't want to replace mine yet.

The weirdest part is that it only does the 'tail wag' on the highway, if my girlfriend is driving. I figure that it's a weight thing... she's 100lbs, and I'm 210. When I drive, it's fine. When she drives, every once in awhile we get the wag.

With no connected swaybar on the back end, of course it will sway back and forth after a turn. Perhaps you need new shocks. Do the push-test: push down hard on a corner of one of your bumpers and let it go. The vehicle shouldn't rebound and bounce more than twice. If it bounces more than that, your shocks are probably shot.

Guest Sam

The shocks aren't bad, it's just that swaybar. I had welding a small piece of angle iron on there, because that little part is really hard to find. It lasted about a mile before it snapped off, lol.

I'm currently searching junkyards, but those Pathy's are never in there!

i have the exact same problem. the piece that connects the sway bar onto the fram is actually still dangling down. it handles a little worse, but it wasn't like i was driving a ferrari to begin with. after reading up on it on this site from other pathy owners, im not gonna bother replacing it

Guest Sam

The only time it got really unmanageable was when the front end stuff was broken. Everytime the front end shuddered, the back would go too, and the only way to stop it was to stomp on the brake. It looked pretty funny going down the highway. Now, on a 7 hour drive, it only happens three or four times.

And 88pathoffroad, thanks for the offer, I'll get back to you on that!

This is a fairlycommon thing, my pathy did the same a few years ago, i got a new axle bracket, new link to the frame and a rear plastic door for the rear jack storage, and i left the junk yard short 7 bucks.

Guest 88PFMN

Mine is doing the same thing but it's not the swaybar bushings...the swaybar controls body roll (and limits travel off road), but the links will just clunk and rattle when they wear.

However, there's 4 rear control arms that keep your rear axle in place. Each has rubber bushings (and 1 ball joint, too?) that wear out over time, allowing your axle to flop around in there. Lay under the back of your vehicle. With it in park or in gear (if manual) and parking brake off, have someone rock vehicle back and forth. If there's play in the arms that hold your rear axle and/or the axel twists around under there, that's the prob. Your tail is wagging because the whole rear axle is moving around. The difference between you and the GF is probably driving style - if you're easy on and off the gas, less of a problem. Hit and let off the gas hard, and you'll create more twist.

I'd go easy on the thing until you have them replaced as this also allows the driveshaft to move back and forth in and out of the tranny.

The bushings can be replaced but everyone's telling me there's a high PITA factor. Anyone know where we can find decent control arms????

up until recently, rear sway bars on any type of vehicle were somewhat of a luxury item. There are still plenty of "economy" cars out there with just the front sway bar. The one in the front does more work to control a vehicle thru the curve anyway... so if you don't care about the rear end flapping around a teeny bit, why bother with the rear bar??

just my .02 worth

Like a few others have said, sounds more like the control arm bushings need replacing than the sway bar causing it. As stated also, the wagging or swaying is from the 'rear steer' of the rear axle moving around because of worn bushings. Much more noticable at highway speeds.

Guest 88PFMN
you dont need to replace the whole arm you can get the old bushings pressed out and new one pressed in :)

That's what I thought too, but was warned against it by a Nissan tech that owns an old Pathy...PITA factor was high in pressing the bushings, according to him. Course he's an ex-franchise guy; they love to throw in all kinds of parts if it's faster, regardless of cost.

Have you done 'em? Sure would be hella lot's cheaper just to do bushings and I've got a buddy with a press as well. As far as I can tell on my rig, I'd need to do them all.

That's what I thought too, but was warned against it by a Nissan tech that owns an old Pathy...PITA factor was high in pressing the bushings, according to him. Course he's an ex-franchise guy; they love to throw in all kinds of parts if it's faster, regardless of cost.

Have you done 'em? Sure would be hella lot's cheaper just to do bushings and I've got a buddy with a press as well. As far as I can tell on my rig, I'd need to do them all.

Nissan Tech?!?! Is there such a thing out there?! Surely not around here (Western WA). Around here, a basic look/scope/poke is out of the question. The local boys will have little to nothing to do with my Pathy. Apparently, they simply can't do with quality. They require $500 as a down payment on their Hummer *gag*.

Quick disconnects can be used! I orderes some for a jeep from JKS and fit them perfectly now when we go wheelin' the rear sway bar can be easily disconnected then reconnected. So easy the wife can do it.

:bow: I love you Hon!