LCA....Shot

govols74n

Go figure, so I go out with the kids and decide to hit the trails......

Now I'm hearing this popping noise. I crawled under the truck and guess what, there is a

rod to the rear of the driver side lca, that goes into a hole in the frame with some big bushings on it....it's sheared off at the frame. I've located the prob....but what in the heck is that " piece " called? I should be able to get it @ a jy if i know the name. Hopefully I can drive it there to show the guy because we can't pull our own parts here anymore. :shrug:

Edited by govols74n

compression rod. not uncommon for then to wear out. a JY will have it. PITA to get out. but do able.

you can drive with out it. I dont recommend it. I have driven around with out one. nothing broke or got worse. only drove it for 2 days tho.

all in all, its not a big deal. go find one at a JY. its 2 bots/nuts on the LCA side. and a big nut on the frame side.

Edited by 89_trailboss

Ok thanks guys, damn that was quick, I just posted....lol...gotta love npora, I'll head to the jy 2morrow. I 4got 2 mention that I had just cranked my tbars a little more and was wondering if that could have helped it break due to more tension...but as long as I can get another, who cares? lol :bow:

Edited by govols74n

as for the t bar crank...it could have helped it by putting it under more stress...but not the reason it broke...it was already weak and couldnt withstand the added stresses with more lift...mods to original ride heights and anything esle always induce more force/friction and anything else bad b/c it was designed as a system in one (for the most part but there are good f ups and can always be improved) but there are safety factors that allow for lifts/lowers, HP increases/torque gains etc etc...so all in all it was going bad but the extra lift might have pushed the limits...

moments (torque arms) are a bad thing (most of the time, sometimes they are good)

Well, the jy's are completely out of pathys :sniff: but I went to NAPA and the compression rod was listed as a strut mount rod or something...anyway I found it in the guys parts manual and he got it from the stealership and is giving it 2 me for $14.95 with all hardware included...bolts, and bushings....sounded like a deal 2 me so I'll pick it up in the morning and breathe a sigh of relief. Then I'm going to get the pathy high by taking her to a good car wash, she likes that. :)

Absolutely that's a deal. If I'm not mistaken, Nissan wants a mint for that part with bushings..... I think Filthy Luker (who hasn't been on here in months) had to do them on his....and paid considerably more.

Shxt, the bushings alone cost $15. Good deal!

Oh, and the tension rods are pretty damn stout, I bet it was cracked already or something. Have you checked the holes that the bushings go on at the frame? That's a common wear area that tends to rust out and wreck itself if your bushings are shot.

Methinks the old bushings were way shot and the rod was wearing metal on metal on the frame bracket. And a groove was worn into it, weakening it.

Pure speculation based on the condition of the bushings in my '88 when I bought it! One of the metal tubes within the bushing was worn completely through and the compression rod itself was starting to make contact. This also allowed a lot of play, also greatly increasing stress on the rod. Fortunately, it was repaired before it failed.

I knew it was too good to be true.... the dummy @ NAPA gave me the wrong price, he only gave me the price for the bushings and sleeves....I went to pick the part up and he hands me this little box with bushings in it....when I asked where the rest was he said "rest of what?" ....idiot. Anyhow, he's contacting Nissan to see if he can get me 1 because it doesn't have a part # in the manual, the only # was what he ordered.....bushing kit. We will see. :angry: And from a glance, the old bushings were definately shot, but wont get 2 the up close details as far as the condition of the hole until the weekend, but I have a 4 day weekend so this break was good timing.

Edited by govols74n

Man, that sucks, but of course it was too good to be true. You might try a larger junkyard in the area (if there are any) and see if they have any connections that could ship one in. It won't be nearly that cheap, but still. I replaced the bushings on mine last year, basically you have to pull the rods, and it wasn't that big of a deal. But yeah, my poly bushing kit was like $25 so my jaw dropped on your price for the whole thing. :rolleyes: Good luck!

Yeah, i will let you know if it was the right part or not when it gets here Tuesday.... :shrug: The guy @ the store said it could be called a strut mount rod, compression rod, tension rod and another name....he was clueless, but I just pointed at the picture, once again, in tha parts manual and told him to order it.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, after 2 weeks of...... f-ing with NAPA they finally got me the right part, it is actually called a TENSION ROD in the parts manual @ Nissan. The rod cast $40 then I bought the bushings for 14.....at least it wasn't $100 like I was quoted. It sure was a PITA to install, had to use my grinder to cut the old bolts off and then i couldn't get the holes on the lca to line up for the install but after a few hours shes road and mud worthy again! :cool2:

Edited by govols74n