Somethings whinny

vidro

Here’s another good one.

I rebuilt the 5 speed manual tranny last year, new clutch, pressure plate, resurfaced fly wheel, throw out bearing, yada, yada ,yada.

Now I get this funny noise on occasions when I have the clutch pushed down. It’s kind of a vibrating grow- whirl (like that makes any scene) When I let off the clutch it goes away. It doesn’t matter if it is hot or cold. It does not happen in gear or in neutral. Wait, it might happen in neutral I’ll have to back off that comment till I’m 100% sure.

May be the input shaft bearing, however, that usually rattles when you are N and foot of the clutch. The input shaft bearing is deep down in the trans; just a thought. Sounds more like a throwout bearing, which is the reverse of an input shaft bearing sound.

I had the same problem with my 89 mazda b2200, I had replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bushing...I had to take the clutch kit back out and return it for another b/c the throwout bearing was bad....after I replaced it, it didnt make any more noise

+2 on the throwout.

Sounds like you got one of the not so good ones, or maybe there is an issue with the release arm - tweaked or bent so it is applying a side load? Inspect it carefully when you install the new bearing, and make sure it is pushing evenly.

It seems unanimous on the throw out bearing. CRAP!!

I guess I'll live with it for a while because I really do not feel like disassembling everything again.

I’m sure I know the answer to this but I have to ask, any way of greasing the bearing without separating the tranny from the block?

mines been whining on me for a year now...its only for like 3-5 secs every now and then if its not that frequent i wouldnt worry about it.... (this might be looked as bad advice but i dont think till its all the time i would worry with it...thats a lot of work for just the bearing)