Frame rust and repair pics on my 1995

zack1978

It's not that Nissan built them poorly, it was the grade of steel they used and the fact that nobody washes out the frame like they're supposed to. I've seen lots of junkyard Pathfinders over here and only one or two had any kind of rust on the frame. It all depends on where you live and how you take care of the vehicle. The frame CAN be rust-proofed inside, or at least oiled.

It's not that Nissan built them poorly, it was the grade of steel they used and the fact that nobody washes out the frame like they're supposed to. I've seen lots of junkyard Pathfinders over here and only one or two had any kind of rust on the frame. It all depends on where you live and how you take care of the vehicle. The frame CAN be rust-proofed inside, or at least oiled.

Well said. I wash my Pathy underneath at least once a week, more frequently during winter what with the salt and all. I live in a town thats right on the oceanside. The only rust I have on my pathy is underneath the battery. My car isnt parked under cover, sits in all kind of weather, but I take care of it.

My '78 Ford F150, on the other hand is built like a tank. I think they used the "bigger is better" idealogy when building this truck. It was my grandpa's when he bought it new in '78. He has never washed it, its never been undercover. The word that comes to mind is "rust". Box is shot... i feel unsafe stepping in it. The cab has holes in the floor and firewall.

Take care of your car and it will take care of you.

Edited by eglaisi_91pathy

well i will say that my 95 has a lot more rust than my 87 (almost zero)...but i haven't really seen a lot of rusted frames...

and the 95 i think the guy that originally owned it b4 me and my cuz ran it thru some salt water b/c the rust is below the battery and on the back sides of the front and rear bumpers...

as 88 stated i always flush the insides of my frame rails undersides and everything else...i've undercoated my 87 2 diff times and i need to get after the 95 but havent taken the time or effort...

but good job on the repair looks good... :aok:

My GF's was rusty as well so I boxed it , I clean it out every time I wash the truck and I fluid film inside the frame at least twice a year. The fluid film lasts almost a year.

I have a driveshaft that is bare metal and was fluid filmed and it still doesn't have any surface rust on it after 3 years of hard use.

how much does it usually cost to get it coated underneath?

i just always use 3 or 4 cans of the rubberized undercoating from advance...like $40 total and an old pair of jeans/sweat shirt...scrape what i can to metal and spray on...and i always mask off the paint so overspray is not an issue...

ive been saying for 2 years that i have to get my frame patched up.. but now that its covered in salt again, i might as well wait till winter is done. And ya, oil spraying the frame and everything else is well worth the $$. And whos the bastard who stole my avator that i made!? just kidding, ill take it as a compliment. :P