Cold mornings

ILoveMyPatty

Well, this morning I got up to go to work... (My first day, first job... and it's at a machine shop. :takebow: )

I'm no longer an unemployed highschool graduate bum.

Anyway, well... I plug my Pathy in at night, and warm it up for 15-20 minutes before I drive anywhere.

But, when I go to shift, the stick moves like it's going through tar.

Seems like I need different tranny oil. What do I need to do?

It doesn't seem like it's too healthy for the tranny.

What brand and viscosity oil do you have in it now? Of course the 75-90 is going to take a while to loosen up. If its that cold, maybe put a heater on the trans case to warm the fluid? I just put Royal Purple in mine and it made a world of difference. Wasnt cheap though. Glad I got dealer discount!

where the hell does it get so cold???

Well, it got a little colder today. Right now it's sitting at -18F...

I'm in Kamloops, BC. Canada weather...

Tomorrow they're expecting around -22F plus windchill.

(I'm converting to Ferenheight, since most of ya are from south of the border).

Anyone suggest doing anything preventative maintenence wise since it's this cold?

I've been plugging in my block heater, but lastnight my brother shut off the switch inside, for the power outlet.... She barely started this morning for work at 6am.

I'll see about the MT90 or Mobile 1. I'll have a chat with my mechanic tomorrow after work.

Oh and, my brakes are acting odd. I'll press the pedal down 3/4 of the way and they will just start to work. I've been having to pump the pedal when I want to stop. I can stop by just pressing it, but pumping it seems safer.

Yeah its sitting at -15F here and over night its supposed to get down to -25F...but the Pathy has been starting up fine this week with these temps...

Only problem I've had so far was my emergency brake light not going off when I released the brake this morning. It wasn't until my lunch brake before the light finally shut off. Scared me for a minute, I thought the brake had seized.

Changing the fluid is fine when its cold. Personally, I would do it somewhere warm, not outside. Drive it for a while to let the fluid warm or it will take forever to drain. Your brakes sound like you may have moisture(or air) in the system somewhere. What color is your brake fluid?(It can tell you alot as far as color) May need to bleed them all the way around.

Oh yeah, will you please take all this cold weather back. We are freezing down here in Washington! :P

Oh and, my brakes are acting odd. I'll press the pedal down 3/4 of the way and they will just start to work. I've been having to pump the pedal when I want to stop. I can stop by just pressing it, but pumping it seems safer.

master cylinder goin out possibly P... or you got air in the line somewhere ;)

Ahhhhhh! I don't want to do my brakes and tranny fluid...

Our shop isn't heated, and it has a ton of junk in it right now, usually can fit out crew cab long box F350 and my Pathy in it at the same time length wise. But I can't even get my bumper in.

And I have to work every day, and theres no vehicle for me to get to work 40 minutes away. So I can't leave it at a shop for a day or two to get done. Gah... time to make an appointment at the DEALERSHIP.

Son of a...

Yep coldest it's gotten here is -30, that was yesterday morning.

And the highway maintenence crew is so freaking lazy so they aren't doing anything to the roads but putting gravel and dirt on them.

Probably the only time I wish they were salting the hell out of the roads.

I use REDLINE MT90 also, works beautifully. actually had 75-90 in my tranny for a few years, always did fine but was very much more stiff to shift during winter season. Red line is good stuff. I get mine locally for $9.00 a quart.

234,000 miles and still going!

-Chris