Which Generation?

Guest djohnstone

You know, speaking of extra weight from bumpers and armor, I was browsing Edmunds yesterday to review the Pathy specs, and read that the cargo capacity of the R50 is only 996 lbs! That's pretty low! I'm sure I've exceeded that limit many times, especially since I'm always carrying around over 200 lbs of armor and other mods!

Edited by XPLORx4

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, personally, I look to buy a truck when buying a truck.

I look to buy a truck also but what is the point in buying a "truck" that weighs 5000 lbs but has a weak motor... You have look at other things than what it is besides the fact that it is a truck. Duh

You know, speaking of extra weight from bumpers and armor, I was browsing Edmunds yesterday to review the Pathy specs, and read that the cargo capacity of the R50 is only 996 lbs! That's pretty low! I'm sure I've exceeded that limit many times, especially since I'm always carrying around over 200 lbs of armor and other mods!

Oops.

I know for a fact that I've exceeded that at least 2 fold, and my Pathy is no worse for the wear. :D

I look to buy a truck also but what is the point in buying a "truck" that weighs 5000 lbs but has a weak motor... You have look at other things than what it is besides the fact that it is a truck. Duh

Actually, the R50's are somewhat underpowered also... at least the 3.3's are.

Yeah, I've loaded my 95 up with 1500lbs + a couple of times, and been fine, biodegradeable frame and all!! :P

The cargo capacities are based upon the soft suspension components used on stock R50's so that they ride nice. With the lift springs and better shocks, that number increases exponentially.

I can swap a 3.3 in my WD with no problem at all. Jeep XJ's have solid axles, not a car type R&P and struts. My truck weighed 5600 with a fully loaded former sail boat trailer full of a cut down tree, last time I checked my truck wasnt entered in a Baja race (which a pathy won in like 95). Ive said it before and ill say it again, im sure the r50 wouldve been much different if it was a product of Nissan.

... You have look at other things than what it is besides the fact that it is a truck. Duh

Sorry, didnt know we were getting aggresive. In that case... well, it doesnt really matter because anything I say will now be considered R50 bashing, all well.

And don't forget to mention that the R50 placed on the podium in the 2002 and 2003 Dakar Rally. It WAS a product of Nissan, what in the hell are you talking about? Honda didn't make it. Toyota didn't make it. It was built 100% in Japan, so that leaves only Mazda and Nissan....and guess what...Mazda didn't make it either. :o

So, I guess the Tacoma and the 4Runner are minivans because they have R&P steering.

And I guess the New Frontiers are minivans because they have struts.

:rolleyes:

So, I guess the Tacoma and the 4Runner are minivans because they have R&P steering.

No, you're wrong. OMG, I can't believe all of the misinformation in this thread! All of them are CARS because they have IFS.

And don't forget to mention that the R50 placed on the podium in the 2002 and 2003 Dakar Rally. It WAS a product of Nissan, what in the hell are you talking about? Honda didn't make it. Toyota didn't make it. It was built 100% in Japan, so that leaves only Mazda and Nissan....and guess what...Mazda didn't make it either. :o

:rolleyes:

To bad im talking about Renault. To the Ridgeline is a minivan, guess what, its based off the Odessy!! :o The taco and Fronty have frames!!! :o

No, you're wrong. OMG, I can't believe all of the misinformation in this thread! All of them are CARS because they have IFS.

Hey finally, and no the WD isnt a car, its a truck, if it was unibody and had IFS then I would call it a car.

And, if I hear the old XJ and H1 standby again im going to vomit...

Edited by FLApathy

Did I say anything about the Ridgeline? No. I sure didn't.

The R50 is not a product of Renault. There is no Renault in it at all. It is a product of Nissan Truck Corp and ONLY Nissan Truck Corp.

But, you said that the R&P and the Struts made the R50 a minivan after you negated that the unibody made it a minivan because the Cherokee is a minivan.

And lets see here....

SUV or Wagon

Many buyers prefer the rugged, go-anywhere image of SUVs or the sporty, upscale image of European station wagons like the BMW 3 Series or the Volvo V70 provide. The Ford Freestyle 3-row wagon fits between SUVs and minvans.

Minivans are built with a unibody for light weight, and equipped with a V6 typically designed for a car. A 1996 Caravan was rated for towing a pop-up camping trailer only with one driver and no other payload, and the hitch is often low enough to drag on ramps even when lightly loaded. A full sized SUV such as the Chevrolet Suburban or Ford Expedition is built with a Body-on-frame construction which can better handle heavy loads through a hitch and a truck-based V8 which can better handle the stress of towing a camping trailer with slide-outs or boat. Car and Driver recommends "If your goal is simply to seat seven, buy a minivan. The Honda Odyssey is quicker, faster, quieter, burns less gas, changes lanes faster, has roomier, more accesible seating, will tow 3500 pounds, and is cheaper [relative to SUVs Jeep Commander and Ford Explorer]."[3] As for image, the Ford Excursion was infamous for being criticized as an affront against the environment.

Some crossover SUVs and minivans are becoming closer together regarding design and styling. The Pontiac Aztek and Buick Rendezvous "SUVs" even shared the same platform as GMs front-wheel drive minivans. The Chrysler Pacifica and Chevrolet Equinox can be described as sporty-looking all wheel drive minivans or as un-offroader-ish crossover SUVs; the Mercedes-Benz R-Class has a mininvan shape with rounder edges, and features all wheel drive. The Ford Edge, Chevrolet HHR and Chrysler Pacifica give a sight of the future of these vehicles in North America, while the SEAT Altea, Fiat Croma and Ford S-MAX do the same for the European MPVs.

In the ASEAN nations and India, MUVs vary widely in configuration. Whilst some MUVs might be carbon-copys of MPVs in Europe (such as the European Ford Fusion) or even minivan-looking (like the Toyota Innova), in some cases MUVs are similar to minibuses (such as the Chevrolet Tavera and the Maruti Versa).

I don't see any mention of the Nissan Pathfinder on there. The Ford Excursion is mentioned....is it a minivan?

Hey finally, and no the WD isnt a car, its a truck, if it was unibody and had IFS then I would call it a car.

And, if I hear the old XJ and H1 standby again im going to vomit...

Then vomit....

Your arguments are totally full of holes.

You argued that the R50 is a minivan because it is a unibody. Yet you argued that the XJ, also a unibody vehicle, is NOT a minivan. Therefore contradicting and negating your own argument that the R50 is a minivan based on it's unibody construction. Conclusion, R50 is not a minivan.

Then you argued that the R50 is a minivan because it has Rack & Pinion steering. Well, the Titan, Tacoma, 4Runner, and H1 all have rack & pinion steering, and you consider them to be trucks. Therefore, your argument that the R50 is a minivan based on it's steering system is null. Conclusion, R50 is not a minivan.

Then you argued that the R50 is a minivan because it has struts. Well...guess what, the new Frontier has struts, the new 4Runner has struts, along with a huge host of other SUVs. Your argument that the R50 is a minivan based on its struts holds no water. Conclusion, R50 is not a minivan.

Then you say that it is only a minivan if it meets all of those conditions. Yet, the definition of a minivan is a "Wagon-like vehicle based off a passenger car platform, with large side and rear windows, and sliding side doors with seating for 7 or more passengers."

Does the R50 seat 7? Does it have sliding doors?

It also has a true part-time 4WD system with a low-range transfer case reduction.

Conclusion. R50 is an SUV. If you don't like it, you can go buy a Honda. P...

I actually said the XJ has solid axles becaues I figured that would put an end to the XJ standby, but it didnt. The article you quoted says that full sizers are not minivans, and where else do you ever see a pathy mentioned. This is becoming another one of those threads that I should stop looking at before it makes me any dumber.

Edited by FLApathy

What do the XJs solid axles have to do with your Unibody argument. Nothing.

You originally said that the R50 is a car because it is unibody. You did not put any sort of contingency statement along with that. Yet, you consider the XJ a truck, even though it is also unibody. Therefore, your logic on the unibody stance has been disproven and holds no water.

Stop trolling this forum. If you want to start sh1t, go back to AC. They love that stuff there.

This is a forum for ALL Pathfinder enthusiasts. We don't need people here like you who are going to be prejudiced against one kind of Pathfinder or another, or who are going to bash the other kind of Pathfinder, because it's different. We are an open group to ALL Pathfinder enthusiasts, whether they own a fully tubed out 87 on 54" tractor tires, or a brand new off the lot 06 that hasn't gone past the local Supermarket. You need to re-evaluate your high-and-mighty attitude Justin and take it someplace else. There's no room for it here.