IFS vs. Solid axle

Jdpathy

Yup, that proves it.  A fully custom, high dollar SA designed for max articulation will flex more than a bone stock IFS not designed for max articulation.   :D

Next, which is more manueverable?  An F-16 or a 747?

Wow, I was hopeing that would come up that would come up, that statement just reminds me as to why I hang out at AC and N4W more and more now-a-days. Let me just put it this way, IFS has nothing to do being off road, NOTHING, these CORR and Baja trucks have IFS, CUSTOM IFS.

Waits for the Humvee to brought up...

Edited by FLApathy

Correct.

But I do not see the logic in comparing a stock IFS to a custom SA and making any relevant conclusions.

I brought up SCORE trucks as I feel it would be more relevant to compare CUSTOM IFS to CUSTOM SA's.

Most of the STOCK SA's I've seen are also pretty limited in flex and compliance, much like STOCK IFS's.

There are some stock SA's that are have more capability, but then again, there are some stock IFS's that have more, but I don't think I dare mention any names.

Bottom line: EITHER one can be made to do much more if you're willing to invest in the design and execution. IFS is relatively new to the hardcore world so it is not as popular, but give it time.

And I agree that the AC pages are better for irrational arguments and comparing apples to rhinoceroses and claiming the results mean something. Personally, I don't find much value in that.

:laugh: Like most things there are strong supporters of both sides...

Both sides will have those who believe they are right and the other is wrong, there will be some who see both sides but sway towards one, some truly neutral...

But your right, its mostly personal preference along with what you will use it for :aok:

What he said. /\ Basically, I'm right (IFS), your wong (SA). :laugh: j/k, j/k

Its like declaring a pistol is better than a rifle, and vice versa. Or a knife is better than a swork, a plane is better than a helicopter. Similar purposes, different designs, different results.

Both versions of drivetrain are designed to perform a somewhat similar task but under different circimstances, but either can be modded to perform somewhat like the other. Neither IFS nor SA is better for all circumstances, its up to the end use to determine what they need, or to mod one or the other to meet their needs.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Something that hasn't been mentioned here is the weak points of stock Nissan IFS and the benefits of changing to a solid axle.

IFS is strong enough to stay together in stock form. The steering is another story, but still.

Modify the IFS with a lift kit and take it offroad anyplace other than a mud puddle and it will start to degrade/wear out all the bushings, the CV axles will wreck themselves in certain situations, and the steering parts will certainly be ruined in short order. Many other parts will fail(balljoints come to mind), especially if you run bigger tires.

A solid axle in stock form generally has none of those weak points to contend with in the same offroading situation. Even with bigger tires. It is a stronger setup to begin with and can handle the stresses much better with fewer moving/pivoting/bushed parts. That's why it is considered to be an upgrade and people are impressed with it so much.