more performance questions

budman

Just purchased my first pathfinder a couple of weeks ago and want to know the best place or website to locate performance chips and intakes, need more power!! And how much performance can a person gain by going this route? Just trying gain a little more power without going overboard, for now.

want to know the best place or website to locate performance chips

Stay away from that crap...there are no performance "chips" for the Pathfinder.

http://www.4x4parts.com That's your first place to ship for Pathy parts, also check out http://www.summitracing.com. Another good resource.

Unfortunately, the VG isn't a terribly powerful platform. There's not a whole lot your going to get out of it with simple bolt-ons. It's not made to be quick...what it IS made for is taking a beating (see "max stryker" :D ) and extreme reliability.

Welcome to NPORA, enjoy the info.!! :aok:

There are intakes available but they aren't going to magically make that 3.3L nimble. Before the 3.5L came out the Pathfinder was pretty grossly underpowered. I have a JWT pop charger intake. The SOTP HP was minimal, the main difference was a beautiful rumble at WOT. That rumble is drowned out now by the noise of my custom dual exhaust though, lol. Between both intake and exhaust things did improve slightly, but ever so slightly. The thing to remember when getting an intake however is that the filtering ability is purposely decreased in order to increase air flow. If you are off-roading in the dirt a lot, this may not be the right move.

I'm not sure what vehicle you had before the pathfinder, but you will see that there are VERY few upgrades for the 3.3L engine, and the ones who have tried the supercharger and cams have had major issues.

Good luck and welcome to NPORA.

I'm in the market for a new intake now that I've got a brush guard to look tougher... but I cant find any decent and *cheap* ones.. I'm not putting $300 into something that will only make it look more powerful.

I'm in the market for a new intake now that I've got a brush guard to look tougher... but I cant find any decent and *cheap* ones.. I'm not putting $300 into something that will only make it look more powerful.

Maybe I read this wrong, but how does an intake make you "look" more powerful, unless someone is staring under the hood?

Maybe I read this wrong, but how does an intake make you "look" more powerful, unless someone is staring under the hood?

Dude, you don't have a plexiglass hood? Its the latest thing, way better than carbon fiber as you can see the power. It gives you the equivalent of like 15 stickers worth of power! lAtErZ!

The VG33 has a lot of potential. There are a few high hp ones out there. The problem is, most of the people around here who do stuff to them blow up their tranny or have something else go wrong. It's rarely the engine itself. And 99.9% of the engine problems experienced were installer error. ie...poor 98silver's cams getting installed by a mechanic who didn't care to check nissan specs before doing the job.

The VG33 has a lot of potential.  There are a few high hp ones out there.  The problem is, most of the people around here who do stuff to them blow up their tranny or have something else go wrong.  It's rarely the engine itself.  And 99.9% of the engine problems experienced were installer error.  ie...poor 98silver's cams getting installed by a mechanic who didn't care to check nissan specs before doing the job.

yea i agree. remember the nissan GTP ZX Turbo? i believe it was racing in the 80's into the early 90's?man that car was sweet, and it was running the vg30. if i'm not mistaken, the vg33 is just a bored out version of the vg30.

Edited by QuismO

Yeah your just going to have search like crazy all the pathfinder boards to see what certain individuals have done to gain power out of their VG33 - it won't be extreme but I think it has great potential to be a very decent and capable off-road motor. Like Turbopath said 98Silverpathy said that the cams worked great his pathy just had other underlying problems. Anyway there is a great pool of knowledge here so welcome and don't hesitate to add to it!

Yeah your just going to have search like crazy all the pathfinder boards to see what certain individuals have done to gain power out of their VG33 - it won't be extreme but I think it has great potential to be a very decent and capable off-road motor. Like Turbopath said 98Silverpathy said that the cams worked great his pathy just had other underlying problems. Anyway there is a great pool of knowledge here so welcome and don't hesitate to add to it!

indeed...welcome and let us know how your progress is going!

here's that nissan racer i was talking about. i think it was running 30+ PSI boost producing over 700 hp (from what i remember). finished first/top 5 in many GTP races...that's 250+ laps....major endurance! =) proof that these engines can take a beating.

Sebring-1991-03-16-083.jpg

the above is from the early 90's...below is the one of the 80's, also using the vg30 block, awesome car...look at the flames!

car%20gtp.JPG

Edited by QuismO

Here's a good link. Prepare to be amazed...

VG30 Potential

daaamn!!! could you imagine a pathy with 1000 HP...goodness.

"easy on the gas pedal son!!! you might fly off of that little hill there"

the transmission and drivetrain would need some major modifications/reinforcement.

ya, they should have a nissan automatic tranny potential chart. It should be like-

160hp=160,000 miles

200hp=60,000 miles

250hp= 2 weeks

I know you aren't trying to be literal, but is the transmission the same as with the 3.5L? Cause that obviously has more horsepower stock, 240 right? If so we should be able to do 250 without any issues and hopefully not see problems until well into the 300s.