15x8 on QX4?

MichiganAve

If people have stated it won't clear the brakes, why test that conclusion in the first place?

Because "people" on the boards used to say for many years that newer model Pathfinders that don't come with 15" rims stock, and all QX4s, can't run 15s. And I'm pretty sure there are now people running 15s on newer pathfinders that came with 16s stock... so I think its worth asking. As far as I know, nobody ever tried on a QX4. If somebody actually tried and failed or was successful, then it saves me the trip to a tire store this weekend.

Because "people" on the boards used to say for many years that newer model Pathfinders that don't come with 15" rims stock, and all QX4s, can't run 15s. And I'm pretty sure there are now people running 15s on newer pathfinders that came with 16s stock... so I think its worth asking. As far as I know, nobody ever tried on a QX4. If somebody actually tried and failed or was successful, then it saves me the trip to a tire store this weekend.

Ok...I thought you had already bought the wheels in which case, I didn't want you to be SOL, that's all :aok:

Anybody tried 15x8s on a 1998 or other early QX4? I'm hoping it is a long-running myth that they won't clear the brakes, but I don't know anybody who has tried.

I have 15x8 with 3.75 bs and they fit fine. I have 1998 Pathy LE you should have seen the stock wheels on this thing it looked like bicycle rims :blink: I think there was a member on AC "Matt" that already had the 4.5" lift he had a QX4 and was running 34" tires on 15" wheels.

I've also read it puts a little more stress on things like lugs, hubs or possibly other parts. but whats the stock back spacing for the R50's? are they about 3 or 3.25 and some of you guys are going to 3.75? just trying to figure out the difference. the couple of brand name tire shops in town first told me that a 15" wouldnt work, then that it would and that I would want to stay with a "medium" offset. wouldnt give me a measurement though. one more question, where do most of you guys get your rims? local tire shops, online stores, tire rack?

Bigger number of backspacing= closer to strut. Smaller number of backspacing= further from strut (sticking out of fender).

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=s10

3.75-4 is what most people run in order to get wider tires away from the strut. This is a smaller number than the stock rims and will give you a wider stance.

Theoretically moving further out could put more stress onto steering components.

The problems you have heard of related to lugs... maybe they were discussing using wheel spacers to push the wheels further out instead of buying wheels with the proper backspacing in the first place. Just avoid wheel spacers. They are like placing a washer over a bolt and the nut is just further out on the bolt, increasing the forces on it If you must space outward, you can get something called an adapter spacer instead of a regular spacer. These bolt up to existing lugs, and then put out a new set of lugs for your wheel. These don't have the problem with higher forces on the lugs.

Many people just use steel rims which are cheap about anywhere you go locally or online. I've done online business before with summmitracing, 4wheelparts, discounttire, and tirerack but there are plenty more out there.

I don't remember the exact number, but stock is 4.5-5"ish. The smaller the number, the further the wheel will stick out. Backspacing is the distance from the inner side of the wheel to the mounting surface, so the smaller the distance, the closer the mounting surface is to that inner edge on the wheel, making it stick out further.

I got the one steel wheel I've got through Discount Tire. Those guys have been great around here. All of $2 to mount a tire too.