Airbox mod aka deckplate mod

speedbuggy67

I must first admit ive been a diehard toyota guy til i aquired my 92 pathfinder and was very set to purchase a tacoma but the deal on the pathy was too hard to pass up sooo.... Anyway the toyota guys have a mod that i think would be great for all nissans as ive done this mod to a 05 frontier and it was outstanding. the deckplate mod is a marine plate in 3-4in diameter that basically you cut a 3-4in hole in your airbox (prefilter side) and install this deckplate basically allowing our airbox to be used as a full open air intake but when needed for water and offroading can be capped in a matter of minutes. I see everyone looking for cheap free power and this as close as it gets. I don't feel an open air intake has any business on an offroad truck but this setup is a winner. My plan for my pathy is similar but our airbox shape won't allow a 3-4in hole cut (although other year nissans might allow it but was planning on using a plumbing 2.5in cleanout plug with cap and install that on our airbox allowing freer breathing. In lowe's it cost 68cents for the cleanout and 68 cents for the cap so very cheap and if it yields one mpg on the highway i'd say it was worth it. it will certainly give a nice growl. here is a link to the toyota deckplate mod. enjoy!

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38

Scott

ps why don't we have a cheap tricks section?

My wife used to have a Lexus SC300 (Toyota) and that was a popular mod on those cars as well. One thing that they did in addition to that was to put a plate on the side and top of the front section to create a large air box. They called it the BFI mod. (Big F*ing intake) A couple of people did dyno runs with it and had gaines as much high as 11-12hp at the wheels. But the intake on those cars is pretty restrictive from the factory. It might be a good idea though.

I've always had positive results from increasing air flow to the airboxes of my vehicles. They are almost always restricted (sometimes severely) in order to meet noise requirements.

One key to keep in mind: Make sure the additional opening is drawing cool fresh air, and not hot underhood air.

Im sick of sitting at home all day, not working, and being 18. Cmon I'm 18, I should be out working, making money and putting it into my Pathy, right?

No... Unemployed.

I'M DOING THIS MOD WITHIN A WEEK

I must get out and do something good with my life, other than building my fiberglass tweeter pods (which are still not finished... not smooth enough to paint yet... after two coats of bondo and three coats of polyfill)... grr

i just had my truck on the beach for the first time this weekend wow a few extra ponies would have been nice. 1st gear 4 high i didn't have enough to get me up the exit dune and 4 low was digging too much. Yeah the tires were lowered. I was shocked how much power the sand robs. I'll have to peek at the intake box today and take some pics.

Scott