Shock Options and flex

98r50

I recently installed the AC lift but have yet to upgrade my shocks. I was wondering if there are any shocks from another vehicle that may perform better than my stock shocks. I would rather do this than get the ranchos because of cost and if I later add the 4.5" lift.

Also I have noticed that I have practically no rear flex. I know most of this is because I am on stock shocks. How well is the rear going to flex once I change the shocks and are there any other things limiting my flex? I'm getting tired of being the least equipped rig on the trail and need some suggestions on improving my rig without spending tons of money.

One of the Rancho shocks that AC sells is actually a few inches longer than stock. It will help out your flex (downtravel) a little, but nothing substantial. The only real way to increase it much is to go to a much longer shock, which won't work well with only 2" of lift.

I can't remember my exact measurements, but I'll post them up later. I think I got something like 5" of wheel travel out of new extended shocks. To really use the added flex from the longer shocks you'll have to remove the rear swaybar since it contacts the diff breather.

I'll look for my measurements and pictures later.

The swaybar is the limiting factor on the rear end, not the shocks.

On the R50, it's both. The stock shocks limit travel before the swaybar maxxes out. With longer shocks, the swaybar then becomes the limiting factor.

When I went to Uwharrie I wheeled with my swaybar off. It didnt make any difference on my flex because I was on my stock shocks.

I did notice a difference when driving into the town while I was up there. My truck seemed to be real loose in the rear.

So I guess my only option is the longer ranchos

When I went to Uwharrie I wheeled with my swaybar off. It didnt make any difference on my flex because I was on my stock shocks.

I did notice a difference when driving into the town while I was up there. My truck seemed to be real loose in the rear.

So I guess my only option is the longer ranchos

so on stock shocks your rear end felt loose with out the sway bar? Any one have longer shocks and the sway bar on for comparison?

so on stock shocks your rear end felt loose with out the sway bar? Any one have longer shocks and the sway bar on for comparison?

At highway speeds I could definitely tell a difference without the swaybar. It could be magnified though because my shocks are old.