L&P centerlink installed, question about the TREs

ticker

So over the weekend we bought a new car for my wife, 2003 protege 5. I'll post pics later. This means that we now have an extra car for a few weeks. YAY i finally get to install the l&P centerlink Ive had since April. Good timing because yesterday was by far the coldest day we've had yet (40s F) Anyway aside from taking forever to drill out the pitman arm, everything went pretty smoothly. I got to the point of re attaching the the TREs and they need to be shortened, about a half inch on each side. I realize that they may need to be adjusted but shouldn't the old CL and the new CL be about the same length? It was a good stopping point anyway, and I plan to finish it tonight. I just wanted to make sure that this sounded right to you all.

thanks t

t

Edited by ticker

Damn! I got home and measured the two CLs and the stock one is 2 inches longer than the one I got from L&P. This seems like a pretty big difference. Unfortunately I beat the crap out of the old one to get it out so its not going back in, this means paths OOC until I get this resolved. Anybody have an opinion as to the size difference. I'm going to hold off on messing with the TREs until I have more information. :confused:

Edited by ticker

Nice, I like the red. I know its an optical illusion but the L&p in that pic looks a little shorter. Did you have to mess with the TREs when you put it all back together? I'll be bummed if its the wrong one, Its taken me forever to get the time to do it.

Maybe the one I took out of the rig was wrong? The Old one is 31 accross from the TRE mounts, the new one is 29.

thanks brother-right now I'm cool because we have an extra car. Hopefully I'll get this figured out before the future owner (of the tercel)wants to take her away. I appreciate the offer though and will definately take you up on that if the situation calls for it. :cool2:

NP, I also have about 6 used tie rods I keep for trail spares if you need any of those too ( all 90+ type large taper). I usually pull steering linkages when I find a Pathy or HB in the JY. ;)

I gave my last pre 90 one away at URE, need to restock sly .

Yes, he emailed us, and I replied. But, to reinterate here, the Small and Large taper CL's measure about 30.5 inches. The Fronty/X CL's measure about 31.5 inches. Now, also note that these are not "micrometer accurate" measurements. I took them with a tape measure. Close enough for these purposes.

So, by tha above information, he MAY(???) have had a Fronty/X CL on there??? I don't see it though.

And, as you all know, or should know, we don't touch the TRE mounts. We don't change those at all. The heat MIGHT change them by a few thousandths of an inch at best, but I rather even doubt that.

Also, if the TRE's fit in the holes correctly, then he has the correct CL. He has a '95 truck, which is DEFINATLY a Large taper, at least stock. The Fronty/X CL has an even LARGER taper than the "Large" tapered '93+ trucks.

Also, we WILL work with him to get this figured out! We stand behind our product! Whatever it takes to make the customer happy.

I hope I have answered a few questions here. But, if ANYBODY has more, PLEASE don't hesitate to ask!

Phil Dawkins

Steering Division, L&P Performance

www.lpperformance.com

Also, we WILL work with him to get this figured out! We stand behind our product! Whatever it takes to make the customer happy.

Believe it. I bugged the crap outta them with questions and they had me covered. Good customer service from that crew for sure.

Did you have to mess with the TREs when you put it all back together?

From the centers of the TRE holes my old one measures aprox. 29 7/8". After replacing the CL it was a little toed out, but my old CL and TREs were in pretty bad shape.

Yes, he emailed us, and I replied. But, to reinterate here, the Small and Large taper CL's measure about 30.5 inches. The Fronty/X CL's measure about 31.5 inches. Now, also note that these are not "micrometer accurate" measurements. I took them with a tape measure. Close enough for these purposes.

So, by tha above information, he MAY(???) have had a Fronty/X CL on there??? I don't see it though.

And, as you all know, or should know, we don't touch the TRE mounts. We don't change those at all. The heat MIGHT change them by a few thousandths of an inch at best, but I rather even doubt that.

Also, if the TRE's fit in the holes correctly, then he has the correct CL. He has a '95 truck, which is DEFINATLY a Large taper, at least stock. The Fronty/X CL has an even LARGER taper than the "Large" tapered '93+ trucks.

I hope I have answered a few questions here. But, if ANYBODY has more, PLEASE don't hesitate to ask!

Phil Dawkins

Steering Division, L&P Performance

www.lpperformance.com

Thanks for the response Phil, I e-mailed you back. I hope no one got the impression that I thought you all wouldn't stand behind your product. I've heard nothing but good things about you all and appreciate the quick response.

Ill try to put it all together tonight, as the tapers seem to be correct and the CL looks identcal aside from the length. From what I understand It can't be a fronty Cl because the tapers would be noticably different. Perhaps this is all mountain out of mole hill, but I just want to be sure,

T

:hide: I'm really embarrased to have to post this.

Ok as you can see from the topic header I AM A MORON. I swear I measured both the CL like five times, carefully checking that the tape was in the same spot on both. I was measuring the new one while installed on truck and the goofy angle coupled with the PB blaster fumes made me forget that the tape measure I was using has the numbers on both sides of the tape because it has this handy window in it that lets you read it from the top(I don't know why it was a gift and its from freakin france).

DUH! the numbers on the bottom are about two inches less. I"M SORRY. I can't believe what a dope I am. The CL are exactly the same, as to why I couldn't get he TRE's lined up I have no idea, But I know I tried and could not get either side to line up.(again I will blame the PB blaster fumes) I took another whack at it tonight and all is good, I have it all bolted up and no problem.

Sorry and much thanks to PHIL and L&P your product is flawless. This is most definately user error. Thanks to all that contributed to this crazy post.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Dude, just add it to the list of dumb things that you will do throughout working on any vehicle, it gets long after awhile. We all expirence it. Its all good in my book.

Edited by FLApathy

Ticker, not a problem. I'm just glad I've never done anything stupid.....yeah....RIIIIIIGHT. Anyway, glad all is good. We stand behind our products. We would...and WILL do whatever it takes to make things right. We don't want you or anybody else to feel like we abondon them after the sale. We are in it for the long haul. I'm not gonna lie, we want to sell more stuff. But not because our stuff breaks. You all of course know that we're becoming multi-millionaires from L&P, right? We really just want to help out the Nissan community, and not lose money in the process. I don't think thats greedy or wrong at all. Also, ask around and see how many systems we've given away at various events. more than 1 or 2. Remember the chat room? We don't just take....we give back too! Anyway, we're here for YOU!