nissan 4hi wierdness

seanj

92 xe v6 4x4 5spd. let me see if i understand this right , based on what i've read so far. you're not supposed to drive these things over 40-45 mph in 4hi? normally i could care less about that because where i moved from you only used 4wd if you were actually offroad or the streets were covered in snow and ice. seems that with a pathfinder you're not supposed to use the 4wd at all on the street regardless of how bad they are. we got about 5" of snow the other day and by nightfall the roads were getting pretty slick in parts so i put the truck in 4hi, rolled back about 1 car lenth and went on about my biz. up to about 30 mph! something is making a vibrating/pulsating sound at 30 mph. no vibration felt through floor, t-case or trans shifter, it's more of a sound. i plan on lubing the front drive shaft but i doubt that's it since there doesn't appear to be any actual vibration.

one idea i've had is that since the engine works harder in 4wd perhaps there is an imbalance with the fan or pullies on the front of the engine. although this sound does not occur in 2wd even at hwy speeds. if in fact pathys cannot be driven on snowy icey streets then what kind of shim sham deal is that!? i've owned quite a few 4wds including 76 k5 blazer, 76 scout, 72 bronco, 73 cj5, 90 montero(surprisingly bombproof) and all of them could easily be driven in 4hi up to about 55mph. if nissan can't do better than that then i'm afraid it's curtains for this pathfinder. i drive 4wds for added safety in the winter months as well as recreation of course but with this one i can't even rely on it for safety it would seem. hmm.

I don't know if you saw it, but there is a post by MrJim about his snowriding and I am trying to find it. I have put my pathy in 4x several times on Ice and it never seems to effect anything. I know you can take them on the highway in 4 the surface just has to have enough slip so the differential doesn't bind or something like that .

found it.

<Extraction Machine>

:type:

Edited by Jdpathy

was it like a CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK type thing? i have had crappy brake pads shims become unadheared and start hitting the bosses for the wheel studs on the spindles...maybe a auto hub not working properly?

with my 4wd and the little snow the south gets i rarely use 4wd in the snow and only used it once on a 50 mile trip to pull my ex (current at the time) gf out of a ditch and i was stopped on the highway for 30 mins and 2 ins of snow fell it was crazy charlotte got like 18 ins of snow that night and on the way back i ran about 40 in 4wd and never had problems...

but usually i dont use it b/c i like to play and will only use it on hills if there is a possibility i could slide back and hit something or i didnt make it up it and started sliding back down and with they have to roll like 3 ft b4 engaging on slushy/snow sometimes i guess the front tires plow and they dont engage until im going like 5 mph and they clunk like hell (i now have manuals so no problems there)

my 87 on cold mornings used to make a funny sound until it got warm and it sounded like it was coming from the back side of the engine somewhere kinda sounded like a piece of plastic slamming around under the hood but i have never figured out what it was...

if in fact pathys cannot be driven on snowy icey streets then what kind of shim sham deal is that!? i've owned quite a few 4wds including 76 k5 blazer, 76 scout, 72 bronco, 73 cj5, 90 montero(surprisingly bombproof) and all of them could easily be driven in 4hi up to about 55mph. if nissan can't do better than that then i'm afraid it's curtains for this pathfinder. i drive 4wds for added safety in the winter months as well as recreation of course but with this one i can't even rely on it for safety it would seem.

where the hell are you reading this kind fo stuff? those conditions is what the 4hi is for. hmm i figure if i am going to be able to drive 55mph or 65 in the snow then i really don't need the 4x4.

4x4 doesn't do you any good on ice.. doesn't matter how many wheels have power when none have traction.

4x4 doesn't do you any good on ice.. doesn't matter how many wheels have power when none have traction.

Dont forget about the 4wheel stop in those conditions.... :hide:

If you need 4WD to go more than 35 imo your driving to fast for your conditions and are an accident waiting to happen.... Out playing in the SAND WOOOOTTTTT!!!!

Edited by Casey.T

read that stuff on one of these forums. being caught on the open hwy in a snow storm or in a situation where you have to drive on the hwy in deplorable conditions is where you would be using the 4hi at higher speeds.

i'll assume you haven't been at it very long by the no traction on ice comment or perhaps you don't live where there is alot of it. so here's a little heads up for ya! a 4wd will always have more traction in slippery conditions. also you will have more control of stearing due to the power being applied to the front whl. thats why front whl drive cars do so much better in slick conditions than rear whl drive. one more time, a 4wd will always have more traction in slippery conditions! we won't be stopping any better than anyone else but we will take off better and have more traction.

thanks

read that stuff on one of these forums. being caught on the open hwy in a snow storm or in a situation where you have to drive on the hwy in deplorable conditions is where you would be using the 4hi at higher speeds.

i'll assume you haven't been at it very long by the no traction on ice comment or perhaps you don't live where there is alot of it. so here's a little heads up for ya! a 4wd will always have more traction in slippery conditions. also you will have more control of stearing due to the power being applied to the front whl. thats why front whl drive cars do so much better in slick conditions than rear whl drive. one more time, a 4wd will always have more traction in slippery conditions! we won't be stopping any better than anyone else but we will take off better and have more traction.

thanks

allstar status...........hhhmmmmm now i know why so many wrecks on hwy 6 to browns camp in the winter time. :aok::clap:

First thing, I have to agree... if there is NO traction, 4WD is going to result in 4 Wheels slipping.. not gripping, remember there is NO traction :lol:

thats why front whl drive cars do so much better in slick conditions than rear whl drive. one more time, a 4wd will always have more traction in slippery conditions!

That is not entirely true and does not apply to 4WD's the same way it does to FWD's

Front Wheel Drives handle better because they are pulling the rear through the corners and not pushing the front through them. So the back of the vehicle is less prone to slide out and around you.

4WD's are still pushing from the rear... even with the front pulling. When in a corner that "push" occurring in the rear, is more likely to cause the rear to swing out... and around. If that happens and you are in 4WD then the front can help to correct it, assuming TWO things.

1: There is enough traction for the front to counter the rear.

AND

2: The driver has enough skill to control the vehicle and properly guide it out of the slide ;)

Edited by RedPath88

It snows, then freezes, then snows again and freezes the new fall on top of the prior layer... that often results in a rough frozen surface.... which gives more traction than the first layer or a smooth sheet of ice does ;)