Front end vibration

jdub

Driving around town is fine, but when you get to 50mph the front end starts to shake pretty good. The hood starts moving and so on.

Question is what all could the problem be. Planning on getting the wheels balanced, front end alignment and possibly shocks as well in the near future.

I have owned this Pathy for a year now and it has done it since the day I bought it. While looking through the reciepts of the PO I ran across a tire balance and had a comment of needing an alignment. Don't know if it was ever done though.

Any input will help, thanks

If it only happens at speed theres a 98% chance that it is balencing. The other options are that it is a bulge in a tyre (only if old) and that would be progressive through the speed range, not just noticeable at a certain speed.

Worn steering components my cause wheel shimmy, but that is usually after you hit a bump or somthing.

Alignment would make it wonder all over the road, as if driving on marbels. Tell tale sgns are uneven were accross the tyre.

My bet is balence.

Cheers,

Pete.

Yeah after driving it for an extended period of time this morning its not the alignment, it drives straight down the road. I will be starting with the wheel balance and going from there if the problem persists. THanks for the input.

Ok went and got the front wheels balanced on Saturday and found out that one of my wheels is bent. So when I go pick up my new tires I will have them switch the bent rim for the spare and hopefully that takes care of the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update. Got the wheel switched and rebalanced, still shakes, but not as bad.

What would be the cheapest fix? I.E. steering stablizer, bushings, Alingment, etc.

Could it be a CV joint going?

:shrug:

ChromoTech, did the balance and Alignment fix your problem?

The steering components are supposedly lubed for life, heh. Tons of import cars are like that. Have you tried rotating your tires as well? f it still does it after a tire rotation, something's sure worn out in your front end.

Yep rotated the tires.

Lubed for life my A$$. That's like no tune up for 100k miles.

That's what I am affraid of, Guess I will have to tear into it one of these days.

There aren't any Zerk fittings, that sucks. Stupid design if that's the case.

Not sure what Zerk is but guessing the fitting. If that's the case there are these little screws in all steering pieces (tie rod ends...) except lower ball joint. You just remove the little screws and replace with a metric fittings. You'll need a few 45s and at least one 90 (bends) That last one goes well on the idler arm. I think there are 10 of'em in tot. Cheap and quick fix. It's a must and a first thing I do on any new to me vehicle. Nobody ever does these. Replacements of the stearing comps are very costly and you might as well look into Calmini for you tk then.

I had 175k mi on my first pathy and never had any probs with the front end. I greased them all up every tire rotation (every other oil change @3k-always) from about 30k on.

well i got it all done and no it did not fix it but it steers great!!

i put on all new shocks and got the JGC springs in the rear whitch took care of the vibration but around 65 it still vibrates a little.

my tire guy said that it will do that because they arnt the stock size tires or rims.

this pic is an old one of my Pathfinder it sits alittle higher now and the new rims are sweet and the tires are :cool2:

my tire guy said that it will do that because they arnt the stock size tires or rims.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but if they're in good shape and balanced, it shouldn't matter what size they are. They still shouldn't vibrate.

That was my thinking too. Shouldn't vibrate unless somethings warped (either rotor/drum or rim) or something's loose (bushing, ball joint, tie rod, center link). I've never heard of a change in tire size causing vibration.

The rims of my wheels are all kinds of bent up. I had to take a tire off the rim, put a big Crescent wrench on it, then slip a pipe over the handle of that to bend out a couple of the bigger rock rash dents. :) You oughta see my tire treads. I think there's one outer tread block on the back that's got half of it missing...