check engine light

Guest jimmygoogle

Guest jimmygoogle

i have an 02 pathfinder. my check engine light keeps coming on. when diagnosed both times it is related to the gas cap. the light comes on after each time i get gas and i have brought it back to shop 2 times already - any ideas on what would be causing this? and i am sure the cap isnt loose

Edited by jimmygoogle

i should have mentioned that in my first post - the first time it was brought in the cap was replaced.

how long ago? maybe you have another crappy cap, or the wrong one?

If you didn't replace it with a Nissan OE Gas Cap, it'll trigger the MIL. The Nissan one is specifically designed with a pressure valve in it to maintain the proper fuel system pressure. If you used an aftermarket one, it won't work properly.

Also, are you sure it's your gas cap? There are many codes that "Could be a loose gas cap." according to an AutoZone doofus. What is the code it is tripping, exactly?

• 1 year later...

Have the same problem, got the Autozone scan that read emissions problems, think it was 1440. I replaced the aftermarket gas cap with a a Nissan one. This is 230 miles later....The CEL light came back on after a bumpy road..Also got a gas smell side end of car.

Please advise...

Have the same problem, got the Autozone scan that read emissions problems, think it was 1440. I replaced the aftermarket gas cap with a a Nissan one. This is 230 miles later....The CEL light came back on after a bumpy road..Also got a gas smell side end of car.

Please advise...

"side end of car"?? Please clarify. P1440 could be a bad EVAP purge volume control valve, possibly a bad EVAP canister. EVAP purge volume control valve is mounted above the driver's side strut tower inside the engine compartment, connected to the intake manifold via a short bent hose. The EVAP canister is located behind the driver's rear wheel well, tucked up under the bumper.

Please advise...

Did it say what kind of leak it was, most of the time it will say if it's a small, medium or large leak.

"side end of car"?? Please clarify. P1440 could be a bad EVAP purge volume control valve, possibly a bad EVAP canister. EVAP purge volume control valve is mounted above the driver's side strut tower inside the engine compartment, connected to the intake manifold via a short bent hose. The EVAP canister is located behind the driver's rear wheel well, tucked up under the bumper.

It seems to be right by the back right wheel. The mechanic throw out the possibility of the bad canister and valve, evap- valve? He would also do a smoke test.

I am tempted to have a friend put them in and buy Nissan parts on line. The shop would charge $300 for the parts.

It seems to be right by the back right wheel.

Back RIGHT wheel? There's nothing EVAP-related there. Do you mean the back LEFT wheel?

Courtesyparts.com usually has reasonable and competitive online prices. The EVAP canister and valve could be bad. The parts should be less than $250. You need:

[14950] 14950-R50002 CANISTER ASSY-EVAPORATION

[14920] 14935-R50001 VALVE ASSY-CONTROL

[16618M] 16618-R50012 SEAL-O RING

Edited by XPLORx4

It was a small leak I believe.

If it's only a small leak it could just be a split hose, try looking around the evap canister and see if one of the hoses are split, also jsut throwing this out there could the gas smell be related to the gas filler tube recall on these trucks??

Back RIGHT wheel? There's nothing EVAP-related there. Do you mean the back LEFT wheel?

Courtesyparts.com usually has reasonable and competitive online prices. The EVAP canister and valve could be bad. The parts should be less than $250. You need:

[14950] 14950-R50002 CANISTER ASSY-EVAPORATION

[14920] 14935-R50001 VALVE ASSY-CONTROL

[16618M] 16618-R50012 SEAL-O RING

Yes, you are right, of course it is by the left wheel.

Thanks very much for the info!!

Edited by pathproud

If it's only a small leak it could just be a split hose, try looking around the evap canister and see if one of the hoses are split, also jsut throwing this out there could the gas smell be related to the gas filler tube recall on these trucks??

what I have seen nothing looks split but will keep looking...one cap to a hose was not screwed on tightly enough.

How would I know if it is the gas filler tube w/o going under the big scan?

There is a recall on the fuel filler tube located in the left rear wheelwell in R50 pathfinders. That could be your issue if you have heavy winters where road salts are used. Call up Nissan and give them your VIN, they'll tell you if your vehicle is part of the recall campaign.

There is a recall on the fuel filler tube located in the left rear wheelwell in R50 pathfinders. That could be your issue if you have heavy winters where road salts are used. Call up Nissan and give them your VIN, they'll tell you if your vehicle is part of the recall campaign.

THANK YOU.

I just called Nissan and they told me they are replacing the fuel filler tube

in all the Pathfinders in the recall you told me bout. I did not even had to give them my VIN #.

The Nissan garage guy did not think it was related to the check engine light though. Probably better to use another garage for that problem, have heard how expensive the dealership can be.

Edited by pathproud

I'm with Dean on the EVAP possibililty....I had the same smell a while back, and it turned out the charcoal inside my canister broke loose and clogged all the vacuum line leading from the canister (Behind the drivers side rear wheel) all the way to the engine....I drilled 3/4" holes in the canister, emptied the charcoal, glassed up the holes, blew out the lines, pulled apart and cleaned the valve under the hood, reset the puter and so far (crossed fingers) everythings been OK.

I'm with Dean on the EVAP possibililty....I had the same smell a while back, and it turned out the charcoal inside my canister broke loose and clogged all the vacuum line leading from the canister (Behind the drivers side rear wheel) all the way to the engine....I drilled 3/4" holes in the canister, emptied the charcoal, glassed up the holes, blew out the lines, pulled apart and cleaned the valve under the hood, reset the puter and so far (crossed fingers) everythings been OK.

Thank you for that info. Will have a friend check this out..

How did you establish the loose charcoal/canister connection? This is not something I should wait too long to have fixed right?

Got an appointment with the dealer for the recall, but will not have them fix the CEL light, too costly.

Thank you for that info. Will have a friend check this out..

How did you establish the loose charcoal/canister connection? This is not something I should wait too long to have fixed right?

Got an appointment with the dealer for the recall, but will not have them fix the CEL light, too costly.

The charcoal canister's contents are supposed to be "stuck" together in a brick-like chunk. However, the charcoal itself can crumble into granules, and those granules can be drawn into the EVAP lines that run from the canister to the engine bay, clogging them up. You can tell if the charcoal has granulized by gently squeezing with pliers the rubber hoses between the EVAP canister and the metal lines attached to the body. If the hoses feel crunchy, then the charcoal from the EVAP canister has disintegrated and been sucked into the EVAP lines, which will need to be purged. It's a messy nuisance to purge the lines of the granulized charcoal, requiring every junction between hard lines and rubber lines to be disconnected, and blasted with compressed air.

And then you still have to replace the EVAP canister.

On the positive side, the code you're getting (small leak) is not indicative of the condition I described above, so you may be safe!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the dealership finally change the fuel filler part. Cel light is back...Is this something I should deal with urgently or can I put it on the second burner? Have some other issues of repair that might have to be taken care of first.

Edited by pathproud