Broken Camshaft

se7enine

Was working on the engine this week , changed the waterpump , thermostat , the belts including the timing belt and put it back together and started that bitch up. It was purring like a kitten so I put my tools away and threw my gloves away when the engine stopped :furious: . So I tore it down again and low and behold

1289182754_l.jpg

1289183307_l.jpg

Have you ever seen this before. This was a first for me and I hope a last. So I guess it's time to rebuild that SOB. What a great Friday the 13th.

Mine broke in almost the exact same spot! (I was doing 60 down the road when it "just died")

I pulled the head and called up Delta Cam in Tacoma, WA (best price I found at the time... around $75 w/o core iirc) took the head to an engine shop for ispection and it was fine. But I did end up replacing a few lifters, which may or may not have been caused by the cam breaking.

Put it all back together and she fired right up as if nothing had hapened. :aok:

*Also replaced the Timing belt ;)

Edited by RedPath88

I'm in Cali and it was the passenger side camshaft ( Right ? ) So if anybody has a used spare for sale please let me know. I'm kinda avoiding the truck for now and looking for something more suited for daily driving . I'll fix it as soon as it says it's sorry.

• 1 year later...
I'm in Cali and it was the passenger side camshaft ( Right ? ) So if anybody has a used spare for sale please let me know. I'm kinda avoiding the truck for now and looking for something more suited for daily driving . I'll fix it as soon as it says it's sorry.

a broken camshaft on my 92 pathfinder was caused by a broken head bolt.the head of the bolt broke off and lodged under a lobe,it sheared the sprocket bolt and split the end of the cam shaft.it tore up the seal too.