1994 Pathy SE-V6!

Guest GreenHornet

Guest GreenHornet

Hi!

I'm Hector from Tijuana, B.C. home of the famous Baja 1000 Races.

I just discovered the NPORA Club yesterday and plan to join soon. It's cool to find a group of Nissan Pathfinder fans around.

I wanted to get a cool SUV, mid 90's Ford Explorers or Chevy Blazers didn't convince me, I was looking for something sporty, off-road, adaptable and practical SUV, like a 4Runner, of course my budget made me look on something cheaper... On Spring I got a '94 Nissan Pathy SE-V6 dark green and runs good! Though it needs some fixes and adjustments as it only has 12 years old!

When I got it, the first thing I did was changing the oil for Quaker State (and didn't like it) and washing it (of course), plus new tires as the ones I got my car with were all worn out and cracked. I put Pemex gas on it since I live in Mexico.

Pemex gasoline is really good on most of the country (Baja is and exception and ships unload the gas and doesn't come in good quality). Pathys use 87 Octane unleaded gas.

The equivalent for Unleaded in Mexico is called "Magna Sin Plomo" (Pemex is a Federal National company owned by the Mex Government). They offer "Magna 87 Octane" and "Premium 91 Octane" (low sulfur). There is no equivalent to "Plus 89".

Magna is really bad in Baja that can damage some cars, my Pathy knocked with Magna 87 so I chose to put Premium. We use the Metric system and Pesos and Pemex's Premium is cheaper than Unleaded in U.S. (though it's better). So basically comparing even if Premium has 91 Octane, it isn't the same as Chevron's Premium or Shell's Premium, it's like between Unleaded and Plus in U.S.

So practically I'm taking care of it, though my Pathy keeps knocking I know it needs a tune up, this week I'm going to do it, and I need all of you guy's advice.

Has more than 140,000 Miles and I wasn't serious of keeping it, but this summer it proved to have a lot of guts and talks very good about Nissan's products. It convinced me and I'm hoping to keep this car for a long time, I've had fun with it! It adapts to everything (what I needed)... I'm calling it "Green Hornet" because it's green and sounds like a hornet... lol

I have travelled with it to San Felipe, B.C. on the gulf of California and run around the Sierra Juarez south of La Rumorosa pass where SCORE runs their Baja 1000 Training races. Though I thinked I pushed my Pahty to it's limits there, I think I shouldn't do this often, unless I make some upgrades (needs new shocks and lifts) and also some adjustmens.

It's got a little +RPM on it because the transmission delays to shift, so probably have to fix that! And a lot more "little details"....

When I got it, the first thing I did was changing the oil and washing it (of course), plus new tires as the ones I got my car with were all worn out and cracked.

I made (like I said before) a mistake by putting Quaker State oil... I don't like it.

I greased the free running hub differntial and checked the A/T Transmission oil and they're ok.

I already changed the thermostat as it was failing with a new Stant one at the factory temp. AutoZone suggested, already applied anti-freeze and replaced EverStart Battery with a new one at Wal-Mart.

I got Haynes' CHILTON Series book "87-95 Nissan Pathfinder & Truck Repair Manual" by Tony Tortorici, A.S.E. A sort of do it yourself car bible, and learned a lot from it...

The most important is that this week I have to do is more than a tune-up:

-Change the oil.

-Change oil filter.

-Change air filter.

-Change the spark plugs.

-Change the PCV Valve.

-A good fuel additive for my Pathy to stop the knocking. Remember I use Pemex’s Premium.

I hope all this previous items do a change... I REALLY want to take care of this baby and have it running like butter and keep it tough on Off Road. I'm not doing serious off road like I said before 'till I change the shocks and do a lift.

The previous "shopping list" is what I'm doing this week and need some advice as I'm looking towards "what Nissan Recommends" or better suggestions and experiences you guys have had. I'm not going to put any more Magna 87 gas or Quaker oil...

1. First, based on the Chilton book the oil needs to be API SG, I don’t know, I went to Wal-Mart just to check last week and they recommended me to use Valvoline SM SAE 10W-40 Max Life 5 Quart bottle plus a 1 quart bottle of the same product just to be sure…

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/pr...l.asp?product=7

Valvoline oil sounds good to me, it’s like $13.00 bucks the big 5 quarts one plus $3 bucks the 1 quart bottle so I’m looking for the best oil you can recommend me for my Pathy… They said Mobil was good too. Ideas? I think the SAE is ok for Tijuana (California weather but a little dustier). Prestone looks nice too, but not as good as Valvoline, right?

2. The oil filter: How about choosing the original Nissan oil filter at Courtesyparts.com?:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=15208-00027

Or should I pick an aftermarket one that beats Nissan’s?

3. Air Filter Suggestions? I think I’m shooting for Fram’s.

4. Spark plugs: Nissan offer original ones but aftermarket’s could be better?

5. Chilton book says replace PCV valve on the KA24E engine, but I have a VG30E because it’s a 1994 model, so what’s up with the PCV valve, should I replace it? How? What?

6. The additive, well it depends on the fuel, and the knocking… BTW It knocks more on hills…

This being done, I’d like to test how my fuel economy will improve and I don’t wanna put crap in the car (it passed the smog test barely with a recommended tune-up). I wanna do this by myself to learn…

All the help you guys can advice me is very appreciated, I’ll share more experiences while messing with some stuff later. Like the time I disconnected the Hitachi computer under the front passenger seat (thinking it was the stereo amp). Lol.

The final thing is that when I bought my Pathy it didn’t came with the factory brochure and Owner’s Manual. Any place you suggest to get a new/used one for cheap? I really want one! 

Thanks for your help and looking forward to your imput on recommendations, brands and experieces...

More stories and suggestions to come, not only questions!

Cheers!

Hector Gonzalez

First of all... Welcome to the forums Hector and congratulations on your new Pathfinder. With a little love and some worki it will prove to be a very dependable truck :aok:

Lets talk about joining the NPORA, at this point in time you should wait. the founder and father of the NPORA is not currently around, so if you send money now you will not be adeded to the members pages. Wait until he returns then join. :)

The knocking that you are talking about, I am assuming that is the "pinging" that happens when you accelerate and s caused by a low octane/quality fuel. One thing you might also want to check is the engines timing. Make sure that it is set correctly. If it is too high then the engine will ping in the same way.

Since you have an A/T transmission I will tell you right now that you need to get an external/after market transmission cooler on it as soon as you can. When you do you want to completely eliminate the factory one in the radiator. Search the site and you will find a lot of information about this. If you choose to not do this, you will basically cause your transmission to fail earlier than it should.

In addition to the chiltons manuals you should download and use the factory one here... 1994 Nissan Pathfinder Factory Service Manual

Valvoline is a good oil as is Mobil, there are several good choices. Take a look at the motor oil thread in "The Garage" to get a good feel for what people like the most.

I have used Fram oil filters for years and had no trouble, but a lot of people do not like them. Other good ones are Bosch, Pennzoil, NAPA (if you can get them) and Mobil has some new ones out, that are twice the price of the others. but I have not heard if they are really worth the extra money or not.

Fram Air filters will work fine.

The original spark plugs that came in your truck are made by NGK and new ones should work without any trouble. Some people can get Autolites to work, but most do not like them. My truck ran really poorly with them, so I use NGK's because I know they will work every time.

It is always a good idea to change the PCV Valve when you buy a vehicle. And the best part is that they do not cost to much.

Yes that Hitachi computer under the passengers seat is an important one :lol:

You might try a dealer for an owners manual.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you more on the boards :aok:

:clap: excellent intro, feel like i know you already (and your pathy) and welcome to the family! :beer:

PS- ya might wanna shrink yer sig pic down ... by a LOT.. it's a killer for dial up users.... i have mine at 225x? :unsure:

Edited by Slick