Floor left passenger warm

WRL69

I have a 93' Pathy SE V6 A/T (VG30E). 100 Kmil

After driving for a half hour, I noticed the parking brake bar was warm. It was strange for me because I was driving with A/C on. Then, I noticed the carpet on rear left passenger was warm, too. On the right passenger was normal. What that means?. Is possible there is a problem in any exhaust duct part?

Thanks,

The cat runs under the driver's side, if I'm not mistaken...unless he has a right-hand drive model, in which case that's probably it. ;)

The rubber boot around the transfer case and transmission shifters will tear apart over time, that's another likely reason for feeling heat near there.

How can I know if definitively is the cat ? If is the cat, what is the solution?

Harmed cat could be part of my lack power problem?

Regards,

Edited by WRL69

How can I know if definitively is the cat ? If is the cat, what is the solution?

Harmed cat could be part of my lack power problem?

Regards,

Find someone with a laser thermomoter and check the temperature before and after the cat to see how much difference in temperature there is. It should be fairly close in temperature. While your at it try before and after the muffler, it's highly unlikely the muffler would be clogged, but it could.

You should also look for leaks around the area you feel the heat. Wait till your muffler has cooled (in the morning when your rigs been sitting all night) and when you first start it run your hand over the top of the pipe aproximateky where your floor gets warm. If it's a leak, you will feel air.

If it's too hard to get at, have someone plug the muffler with their hand and listen for a leak.

Good luck,

Denis

The cat runs under the driver's side, if I'm not mistaken...unless he has a right-hand drive model, in which case that's probably it. ;)

The rubber boot around the transfer case and transmission shifters will tear apart over time, that's another likely reason for feeling heat near there.

88, you didn't read between the lines:

"Then, I noticed the carpet on rear left passenger was warm, too. On the right passenger was normal."

In addition (another symptom), there is a sulphur smell exhuast in my Pathy.

Regards,

DING DING DING DING!

Sulfur smell indicates:

- Excessively rich mixture after prolonged lean running

- Contaminated catalyst in catalytic converter

If it is smelling all the time, it is a very strong indicator that the CC is shot.

Combine that with HOT under your feet and weak power output, and I would say there is a 95+% chance the CC is plugged.

Now, why is it plugged? If it had less than 50K miles on it, something else is wrong as well, causing the engine to run very rich.

Excuse my ignorance and my non technical curiosity, but I have a question: What does happen if I do without the cat?

Regards,

The cat is used for burning excess gasses that weren't burnt by the motor before exiting. Your rig will work fine without it, but if you live in an area that has high smog control (mostly big cities), you might not pass smog test if you remove it.

In my area we need to get our vehicles safety inspected every year and the cat is one of the inspection cryteria, but a lot of garages look the other way since it is not an actual safety concern.

Denis

If you replace the cat with an aftermarket high flow version, it will have no effect on power or mpg. Stock may cost you an hp or two, and maybe .2 mpg....

It converts a HUGE percentage of the toxic emissions (CO, HC) from the exhaust into less harmful emissions (CO2 and water). CO and HC's cause smog and lung distress. And stink.

In my area I haven't could find the pathy's cat. To buy a non-stock cat, what is its general specification?. There is any manner to fix the old cat?, or definitively it is went to waste?.

Regards,

Edited by WRL69

Hello Guys, the issue continous. I attach you pics where I indicate the warm zone; there is a Ponit X (the hottest point) that I don't know what it is. What it is? What are there under carpet indicated zone?

Regards,

post-6-1161492127.jpg

The last week I reviewed all exhaust duct, including cat and muffle. They are good.

And what about the Point X? It doesn't let me pull totally the carpet up. What is that point?

Regards,

Edited by WRL69

I don't have a 4dr so maybe it is something odd with them... but I also cannot think of any thing that whould or should be there that can prevent the carpet from coming up.

Unless maybe the carpet it melted and stuck to the floor.

if you rip up the carpet there you're not going to find anything in your way. i completely ripped the entire inside of my pathy apart a few weeks ago and at the point in the pic you have up there shouldn't be anything. if they did a sloppy job, possibly some wires going into the buttons on your center console but that's about it