Burning Smell from HVAC

John124

I have a 1991 Pathfinder that has had this condition for several years -- periodically when the HVAC is running, a burning smell would emerge. Usually, I turn it off at this point and turn it back on a little later and things would seem fine. This happens regardless of whether it's the heater or air conditioning. The one time I allowed the HVAC to run when the burning smell emerged, smoke actually came through the vents.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Thanks.

John

As other members here have pointed out, the fan box is probaby stuffed full of flamables. Therefore, do not run your blower untill that is cleared/checked. you could easily catch your truck on fire, and this little gem is behind your dash (glovebox actually) so if you got something started youd be SOL. see the write up here for cleaning that out, belive its in the garage section.

Damn 3 posts and he knows whats up. But yeah as soon as I saw this I remembered the thread posted by I think Dowser a long time ago about how not to catch your truck on fire, imma go look for it.

Yay I found it...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7466

and my mistake, it was posted by Ticker

Edited by FLApathy

I finally got around to checking inside the fan box, and sure enough, it was packed with debris. There were signs that the leaves around the resistors were burned.

Thanks for the all of the comments and help. It'll be nice to be able to use the HVAC w/out fear of going up in smoke and flames.

post-6-1160277893.jpg