not a happy camper...

unccpathfinder

at this point im really discouraged about this whole project...just when i see the light at the end of the trouble this BS happens...first off...last weekend i pulled that housing where the temp sensor is and drilled it and tapped it for a temp gauge...so i dont think this plays a part in it but it might...

i cranked the truck up and wanted to bleed the air out of the coolant system and make sure the temp gauge was going to work...and right as she was getting warmed up and the tstat opened i look down and start seeing droplets come down... (see below) and it seemd if i reved the engine up more droplets came out but i shut her off as soon as i saw them...

i looked her over really well before dropping her in and didnt see any leaks and over the past month or so when i'd run her she never leaked a drop of anything (cept my power steering gears) and then today just gets warm and that happens...

so heres the oil spot she left...

2050078_75_full.jpg

i initially thought cam seals but im thinking it might be that crank seal up front... heres pix of all the above...i did look all around up top and didnt see any kind of signs that the head gasket blew out (i didnt think that would be it b/c she wasnt running like crap or smoking...

2050078_76_full.jpg

2050078_77_full.jpg

2050078_78_full.jpg

2050078_79_full.jpg

............................................ ^ on the lil ear where a timing belt cover screw goes in is where the oil seemed to be dripping out of...

im now thinking of canceling my URE trip and staying home to tear the front end down and see what i can find...

right now im pretty disappointed and just am gonna get a shower and go hang out with the gf...

Edited by unccpathfinder

Give her a good dousing of brake cleaner or whatever your favorite degreaser is until she's spotless, and then spray the area with spray foot talc. Mist it until it looks like a pretty christmas scene. Start her up and watch. The spot where the leak is coming from will stand out like a sore thumb.

Edited by mws

i just went through this same prob. mine was the crank seal. mine leaked just like that. left a huge puddle where ever i parked. pull the skid and like mws said wash the piss outa it the start her up and and look right at the crank in the front. and btw, is there oil all over the front of the motor? cause if it is the crank seal, it will drip on the belt and it will pling it every where. just my 2 cents.

At least your tranny didnt blow the first time you started it. LOL

Tear that baby down, when something like happens to me I dont sleep until I find it, I got like 10 hours of sleep during my 4 day motor removal.

im pretty sure this is the intial time its leaked well noticably...and i've prob ran it about 2 hrs or so since the swap...and i know it wasnt leaking when wheelman was driving it...

i was planning on doing the t belt tensioner and w/p anyways to play it safe in the next month or so...so thats not a big deal i just really hope its either the cam seals or crank...and not the friggin oil pan...but im pretty sure its 1 of the seals...just b/c its leaking out from inside the timing belt cover

the right cam (pictured) was the only 1 tha had any signs of leaking...i know its leaking at least a lil bit but i dont know if its enough to cause what was on the ground...

i do remember there being some space between the back plate of the t belt housing and the head so im wondering if the oil is running out of the seal and down behind the t belt housing and following the edge to that ear and dropping off...the only reason i think this is if the japanese are as particular as the germans that would be the intelligent design...so the oil runs down the back side and not on the T belt causing it to slip eventually and slam some valves...

i knew this job went way too smooth (besides the dropping the axle on the finger) and of course i would have written a check for a lift today...

i'll try the powder trick if something doesnt stick out boldly...havent heard of that but it sounds really good but possibly a lil messy but what the hell right?

At least your tranny didnt blow the first time you started it. LOL

Tear that baby down, when something like happens to me I dont sleep until I find it, I got like 10 hours of sleep during my 4 day motor removal.

yea that would SUCK...im usually the same way but i havent slept worth a crap this week b/c i've been laying there thinking about how to correct all the crap thats wrong with my projects at work that are going to start being built in less than 2 weeks and i have to somehow fix the designs (already fixed mine but other peoples are the problems) and thats 1200 chassis' being built so thats my priority right now...

ohh yea either my wheel bearings or brakes started squeelin bad today (a lot worse than yest) on my DD...so tomorrow as im switching tires from the 87 to the 95 im going to check the bearings and hope that its the brakes or that they need to be repacked so i can make a small run at URE...but then again i dont wanna go cuze i wanna fix my white truck or at least know the problem

Yeah def try the power trick, I too had oil coming off that lil ear behind the crank pully, I think it was a crank seal, had to be cuzz I dont remember seeing any oil above that general area, that poor old motor of mine had seen its last days long before I got a hold of it. Good Luck.

yea that would SUCK...im usually the same way but i havent slept worth a crap this week b/c i've been laying there thinking about how to correct all the crap thats wrong with my projects at work that are going to start being built in less than 2 weeks and i have to somehow fix the designs (already fixed mine but other peoples are the problems) and thats 1200 chassis' being built so thats my priority right now...

ohh yea either my wheel bearings or brakes started squeelin bad today (a lot worse than yest) on my DD...so tomorrow as im switching tires from the 87 to the 95 im going to check the bearings and hope that its the brakes or that they need to be repacked so i can make a small run at URE...but then again i dont wanna go cuze i wanna fix my white truck or at least know the problem

Yeah when I started up the new motor the tranny blew. And I feel your pain, my truck is sitting like a low rider in front, tbars are completely dead, along with the UCA's, and all the bushings and all the BJ's, also the 6 bolts that hold the hubs on are seized tight, just going to cut them off and get manuals. One thing after another.

i hear ya man... im hoping to not put mine back in lowrider stance for a while...she sat for like 5 months like that and it made me sad everytime i pulled in the driveway...

whenever i finally get her 100% squared away and she quits being a lil bitch i'll be very happy...i just dont understand im trying my hardest to not send her onto another owner or worse the graveyard but she keeps on tempting me to make some thermite or c4 and burn/blow her up... then finish off the sides with a 12 ga.

didnt learn a whole lot tonight...b/c it gets dark way to friggin early...

i did learn that wheelman got screwed on his w/p timing belt job...i'd like to personally find the mechanic that did the work if hes asme certified cut the badge off of his shirt and give him a piece of my mind...

on 3 of the timing belt cover bolts they ground them off...broke the ear on the bottom of the crank (thats not a big deal cuze i did that on my 87 but then again i didnt know what i was doing at that point and time)

they undid all the bolts in that hold the pulleys onto the harmonic balancer so they were all loose and 2 were missing...the crank bolt i didnt even need a hammer to break loose it came with 1 good thump from my hand and barely had to use the puller to get the balancer off...

the water pump and timing belt were not changed i really think they got in there and were like screw this im not doing that...the w/p is leaking out of the weep hole and has been doing so for a while...the belt had all kinds of small cracks in it looking like it was about ready to pop at any second...

now for my oil leaks im kinda scared now...theres oil all over the water pump but none on the belt and i dont think there is anything above it that could leak...so im hoping its still the RH cam b/c that is the only evident spot its leaking...so if i have time this week im going to wipe it all down and crank her up

is it a bad idea to do this without the tb cover on b/c i really dont want to put all that crap back together...i wanna tie back anything that could get in the way and see where she leaks (hopefully) and possibly throw the belt back on the alt. (of course i would be putting the harmonic balancer and crank bolt back in)

The timing belt cover helps to protect it from the outside elements and foreign objects (dust, rocks, etc). It has nothing to do with keeping the belt on or anything of the sort. So you should be fine (IMO) to run without the cover since you will not be moving the truck anywhere.

Well standing over it and taking a close look while it is running... now that is a different story. I was thinking just letting it run for a while and casually looking, not getting up close ;)

This applies to your situation even more when you consider that the belt is cracked and looks like it may break -thnkboutit-

*Stick face in timing belt only at your own risk :D

i didnt figure it would hurt but i just wanted to make sure no1 had any bad experiences...its not like running wihtout a valve cover and shooting oil everywhere...its just a "dust cover"

but red seriously i have to cut the engine off first? (bill engvall skit on stupid people should wear signs and some guy trying to change a fan belt with the car running so they had to put a warning label on the belt about turn engine off before changing)

thanks guys...i'm gonna try to look at it some more this week but the gf returns tomorrow and a buddy comes in on thurs and then 5 more come in on fri/sat for the race so i doubt i'll have a lot of time to get her checked out htis week so it'll prob be next week till im 100% done

well ran it this weekend...with just the alt hooked up and she only leaked antifreeze...im starting to think the big leak was my power steering pump b/c i had just filled it up with lucas but where its all coming from doesnt seem to be the PSP...if i get time this weekend im going to run her again without it and see if any oil drops if not then hook up the PSP and if i have a leak and cant find it run it again without and if she doesnt leak then i will have pretty much nailed it to the PSP...

if thats the case i'll prob just drive her without PS (at least for temp) being that i gave my extra pump away

and yes i know the diff and it smelled like oil but not real strongly of it and thought that was just the antifreeze diluting the oil smell...

Edited by unccpathfinder