Using Shift Selector on A/T

WRL69

I have a 93' Pathy A/T (VG30E).

I'm not sure when I shall use "2" or "1" positions, or the OverDrive-OFF, or set power shift switch on POWER.

I use driving all time in "D" position.

Does anyone guide me, please?

generally 1 and 2 are used when towing to hold it in gear longer, and the power-at switch can pretty much stay in the auto position(i'm assuming your 93 is like my 90) all the time, as it'll detect when you floor it and hold it in gear longer... i dunno about overdrive off, i always leave it on lol...

typically, be in D all the time unless you are putting a load on the engine.

if you are going up a hill, you may be struggling with low RPM's. If so, either turn overdrive off or switch to the power setting. That will typically drop you to a lower gear and up your RPM's and torque. You should only really yse 1 and 2 if you need high RPM and SLOW speed. Crawling through loose sand, pulling a heavy load for a short distance or coming down a steep hill and not wanting to fry your brakes (you can use the engine in low gear to retard your decent)

The POWER switch really doesn't give you any more power than you would typically have. It alters the shift pattern so that you will run at a higher RPM in each gear before the A/T shifts into a higher one.

Technical terms? Sorry to late for that. but each has it's use. At some point you may find the need for them, if you never do then that is OK too.

If you are right at the shift point between gears and it constantly shifts up and down, then you set it for the one that you need... no more auto shift = better control of the vehicle at that moment in time.

And say your driving through the mountains (up and down, curvy roads, constant increase/decrease of speed) and it keeps shifting in and out of Overdrive... well at that point you should turn OD off, because it is not good for it to constantly move in and out of OD. Besides if you are riding right at the transition point for OD, then you don't really need it ;)

Also turn OD off when you are towing/hauling a heavy load.