Locker suggestions

88VTpathy

Two things actually, how do I go about finding out which rear end I have (88 xe) and is anyone running AC's lock right locker. I realize that it's pretty cheap so I'm questioning it's reliability, noise in the corners doesn't really bother me though.

Meaning the model number of the axle? It should be an H233B.

For reference, the LockRight is not AC's Locker, they just sell it ;)

You can find that same locker on ebay for less from RockyRoadOutfitters. Calling Rocky Road directly will give you the same price too :)

There are a couple people here with LockRights, "88pathoffroad" and "Mr. Pickles" come to mind :aok:

You can also get it through Summit Racing. Depending on where you're at, their free shipping may make it the lowest total cost.

I also run one. What'd you want to know about them?

(also, do a search - there are many threads here, which gave me all the information I needed to make my decision)

I've tried the search and advance search options, I guess I'm search challenged, I just wanna know about reliability. I don't want to be in the back woods of VT or on a weekend excursion and have crap falling apart on me cause I made a dumb decision. My pathy's body already is crumbling so I'm aiming for mechanically sound :P

I've not heard of any failing or malfunction yet, in Pathfinders or other vehicles. Anybody else?

It is a simple and robust design. Can be noisy, and is noticeable during pavement driving, but most of us find the negatives to be adequately countered by the low cost.

if not set up precisely the centre pin will destroy itself quickly

know of one in a vehicle that was set up ok, even then it died a slow and painful death, one side of it letting go & giving no drive at all.

i wouldnt recomend a lock rite lokka at all.

but most of us find the negatives to be adequately countered by the low

cost.

What negatives? Noise doesn't bother me, I wish my tires where

louder :D. The only real negatives I can think of is breakage, and maybe some

tire wear, but since it frees up in corners I wouldn't think it'd be that substantial.

The LockRight frees up ONLY if you are coasting around corners. If you are on the throttle, it locks solid. So it will affect the handling and tire wear around town. And the ratcheting, popping, clanging, and hopping around can be annoying - much more so than an gov-lock, e-locker, or air locker. Again, I deal with it just fine and have adjusted my driving style to coast around corners, but you will notice it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd highly recommend a Lock-Right locker. I ran one in the rear of my '71 IH Scout (Dana 44 30 spline axle) for several years and thousands of miles of fourwheeling. No problems at all. I will be installing one in the rear of my '87 Pathy shortly.

On the street it ratchets noisily, barks tires if you are on the throttle in corners, occassionally makes some clanks and bangs, and can be a handful on icy roads. As others have said, the tradeoff in the dirt is worth it. A locker is the single most effective off road upgrade you can do for your rig, IMO.

I have heard and seen several people who claim to have broken their Lock-Right in various vehicles. In most cases that I have seen, the offending locker has not been a Lock-Right, but the similar Detroit EZ Locker, or the generic one that 4 Wheel Parts sells. I believe that Powertrax uses a higher quality alloy in their product. Also, if you run huge tires 35"+, your chances of failure will go up dramatically. For a stock drivetrain Pathy with 31" - 33" tires, I don't see it giving any problems. If you are really concerned, Powertrax sells a HD cross pin for most applications. Normally the OE spider gear cross pin is reused in the locker.

There isn't really any "set-up" for a Lock-Right installation. You simply replace the spider gears with the locker components - either you install them correctly, or not. There is no need to set the lash or pattern of the differential, as that is not disassembled.

I say go for it!

I'd highly recommend a Lock-Right locker. I ran one in the rear of my '71 IH Scout (Dana 44 30 spline axle) for several years and thousands of miles of fourwheeling. No problems at all. I will be installing one in the rear of my '87 Pathy shortly.

On the street it ratchets noisily, barks tires if you are on the throttle in corners, occassionally makes some clanks and bangs, and can be a handful on icy roads. As others have said, the tradeoff in the dirt is worth it. A locker is the single most effective off road upgrade you can do for your rig, IMO.

I have heard and seen several people who claim to have broken their Lock-Right in various vehicles. In most cases that I have seen, the offending locker has not been a Lock-Right, but the similar Detroit EZ Locker, or the generic one that 4 Wheel Parts sells. I believe that Powertrax uses a higher quality alloy in their product. Also, if you run huge tires 35"+, your chances of failure will go up dramatically. For a stock drivetrain Pathy with 31" - 33" tires, I don't see it giving any problems. If you are really concerned, Powertrax sells a HD cross pin for most applications. Normally the OE spider gear cross pin is reused in the locker.

There isn't really any "set-up" for a Lock-Right installation. You simply replace the spider gears with the locker components - either you install them correctly, or not. There is no need to set the lash or pattern of the differential, as that is not disassembled.

I say go for it!

What he said. /\

I've run mine for 9 months or so, several times on the trail and daily driven. I've gone about 5-7K miles or so. It takes a little bit of getting used to, nothing major though. Feels stout at all hell when driving. The ratcheting and popping sounds will scare you the first few times, but its normal and ok. I've actually had some fun with the looks people give you in parking lots like at the grocery store. Soccer moms pull their kids away, while guys in the know stop and look for a sec or 2.

Some guys have described it as a bit "spooky" sometimes on road, which I would agree with, but nothing bad at all, more like maybe a mild pull like you'd feel from a truck rut under some conditions, but no biggie. You just get used to it, and then its second nature. Ditto on the coasting or mild throttle around corners, but that's just at slow speed really. There's not much difference going down the highway. And you can do some nasty sweet power slides if you really want to. sly

Off-road, the gain is HUGE. I rarely "need" to use 4wd anymore at all, although I'll still do so just to be on the safe side. It will make your truck nearly as capable in 2wd as it is now in 4wd, so going into 4wd means that much more difference, and more you can do. Getting stuck gets a lot harder.