Torsion bar stuck in anchor arm

battleax

Hey all,

I've been on this board for a while but haven't done much posting, so first let me say thanks to all of you who are posting all this stuff- my pathfinder wouldn't be what it is today without npora. Here's a problem for ya:

I was hoping to put some sway-a-ways in my '90 pathy today, but the old passenger side bar absolutely refuses to budge from the rear anchor on the crossmember (driver's side came out with a couple light taps!). Right now I'm pulling on it with a comealong winch from the front, PB'ing the thing and banging on it from behind like hell every half hour or so, and smoking a lot of cigarettes and saying a lot of bad words...I'm just about out of ideas here...I messed arround with a gear puller but that wouldn't work, tried just yanking it with a friends truck, that didn't work, either. So, two questions:

1. Anyone have any tricks/creative ideas? (yeah, i know, "more PB blaster")

2. What's the worst case scenario here if the t-bar has really welded itself into the anchor arm?

:help:

PB, load, heat, shock

- Let the PB soak as long as you can wait

- apply preload via the comealong

- then heat up the "outer" part so it expands. I use a propane torch.

- smack it with a 3 lb hammer. The shock loading helps break up corrosion bonds.

- Repeat in cycles every few hours. Sometimes the PB takes a while to do its magic. The heat will help.

If all that fails, time for a small shape charge....

And you're welcome! But now you need to start contributing knowledge and advice as well! Let us know how you get it out.

mine are were like that when i did the swap and 1 of the 2 fell out while i was dragging the whole crossemeber and both t bars across the driveway to throw in the garage...i guess after slinging them around in the garage 1 finally came loose as i was dragging it back out to install them...

Did you loosen up the 3 bolts for the front mount? If they have any tension on them they are a B!tch....

I got one of mine out by using a punch with a solid smack of the hammer 12, 6, 3, 9... took a bit but it came off....

Sorry guys, but this story doesn't have a happy ending; I gave up this afternoon (after two days of PB, winch, propane and hammer) and brought the truck into a shop to have them weld the torsion bar off and smack the end out of the anchor arm; hopefully the splines in there are ok (because the nissan dealer wants $45 for the anchor arm :angry: )

I guess the former owner overtorqued the whole thing or something, so the lesson to be drawn here is be careful with your t-bars. Also, my dust boots were pretty torn up and I'll bet that didn't help matters much either.

Thanks for the input anyway!