Washed cold engine now its Missing bad.

Guest wirespider

Guest wirespider

Sup all... :)

89SE 3.0

I used my pressure washer on about the 1800 psi setting to clean under the hood after I changed my oil on Friday (The engine was cold, last used previous day). I had the time and it needed cleaned.

Sure enough it carried on as soon as I started it (Typical if your not careful but most of the time these things clear). Not this time.

It did get a 'tad' better after I ran it a little while after I started it on Friday.

As of today, it WILL NOT run without missing BAD unless I take the top of the Air Cleaner off and its able to draw a huge amount of air in (Runs pretty good this way), can’t have that though.

Done all the obvious like check the wires, vacuum hoses and dried out the distributor. I used air to get into the tiniest of places where water might have been. Still no go with the air cleaner closed up.

I have no clue what I screwed up guys when I washed it this time :confused: . Hopefully the part about the air cleaner cover will get a few ideas from you guys.

Thanks ahead of time guys.

If everything else checks out, try driving it around a bit. Mine did that after washing it (although it was warm when being washed), and I went through the basic stuff too. Some of the guys convinced me to *drive it off*, and sure enough after probably 30-40 gentle miles it ran fine again. Water must have got somewhere it didn't like, and it eventually evaporated or something.

O.K. I know I am comparing apples to oranges here but...my cousins girl washed her Miata at the car wash and the same thing happened. We dried everything we could think of but it still kind of ran rough. We had her drive it around a little in the neighbor hood and it cleared up. That has not happened to me since I started spraying electrical connections with a silicone spray. now days theres a ton of small electrical connections on a vehicle but I think its worth the time. I have sprayed under the cap, rotor, plug boots at plugs and cap. connectors in the wiring harness. Anything with an electrical connection wouldnt hurt. Spray and wipe! A good silicone spray helps to remove moisture and will help to prevent water from causing trouble. A little insurance for the next time on the trail that you have to hit it a little hard to cross a big mud hole or when watching to make sure water dosent pour into your snorkle as you cross a creek! Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps.

plug wires tight...if not did the plug rust overnight...check rotor/cap for being dry...also air filter like said above...also i would check all electrical connections if that isnt the case as well as relays...with pressure that high and depending on how close u got u could have knocked something loose...i always use purple power and the water hose....

Guest wirespider

Thanks guys but I think I’ve covered those things.

I tried it without the air cleaner in it and as soon as I put the lid on it, it bogged right down then misses like crazy when I drive it. All the filters are out of the cleaner Housing but even with that done I cannot put the lid on the cleaner. It needs that air for some reason.

Also, ya I’ve ran it 5 days now, for about an hour each day. I took it down a logging road tonight WITHOUT the Top on the air cleaner and it ran fine.

I did remove the cap and rotor Saturday, no visible water but I wiped them down and blew the parts out with air.

The PCV is drawing good vacuum. I can’t find any wires that I might’ve broken off or any hoses that I might’ve pushed off.

I did start it Friday after I washed it and worked on it well into the eve, so I don't think it had time to rust the plugs it was bad from the get go.

I'm stumped :confused: :confused: :confused:

Gotta be something simple though.

cant think of anything....i know my original engine was tough against water...i do believe she ate some mud/water at 1 time but thankfully it wasnt enough to break anything...it used to always studder a lil bit after running thru lots of water and i know it was getting my cap wet....

did u check all the tabs to make sure it all looks good and not worn out....also if u possibly pulled a plugwire out u didnt break any of the wires b/c i know everytime i pull a wire almost it breaks the wire inside the boot... possibly the ignition coil has a bad seal and got wet on the inside?

Guest wirespider

Thanks unccpathfinder for pounding the fact about the tabs into my head some more.

I went out last night and looked at the tabs and found 1 that was completely rust coated. So it was only hitting on 5. So, within that hour between when I washed it and when I started it, the tab had formed some rust. Most likely it wasn’t in that great of shape to begin with but wiping the inside of the cap didn’t catch it. A quick couple swipes with some emery cloth and the problem was solved.

You know, my air compressor usually doesn’t hold that much moisture but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a bad idea to hit under the cap with 150 psi of air after I wiped it out. So, I most likely added more moisture. DUH!! :wacko:

Some of the simplest things get me sometimes. I can swap heads, valves, water pump, timing belt and do all kinds of major work to my pathy but when I get stumped by something this stupid I get pissed then I veer away from the obvious.

Thanks guys for pulling my head outta my ass... :beer: