Stock shocks

Repack

I have a '95 SE V6 w/ off-road package and the adjustable shocks. I have been having issues lately with the truck bottoming in the back. It used to only happen when I had 3 people in it and a weeks worth of camping gear, but now it hapens with just 3 people in it. Could the shocks and/or springs be blown? I have had it for 50K miles and not replaced any suspension components.

Also, there are 2 cracks in the body that can be seen with the rear seats flipped up. Looking underneath, they are opposite the body mounts that are directly in front of the rear wheel. I'll post pictures.

Assuming that my shocks are blown, any recomendations? I have no idea on pricing, so that would also be nice. I am looking to keep it pretty stock, for now at least.

Thanks.

Monroe Sensatracs are good stock replacements, AFAIK. Tenneco makes them, same company that makes Rancho shocks. Just unplug the stock adjustable shock wiring and install the new shocks. Or, you could go with replacement adjustable shocks from Nissan, I hear they're not that expensive from the dealer(stealer)...wonder of wonders...

Springs won't "blow out", but they do tend to sag down after a long time and become more flexible, rather than supporting the weight of the rear of the vehicle properly.

Body cracks, eh? Are you sure it's not simply cracks in the undercoating? Or are the cracks really big and visible? That's a new one on me.

I also have a 95 SE w/ offroad pkg and I have not noticed any problems with the rear suspension (except when I loaded 60 or so concrete blocks in it). :unsure: I'm curious about the 'cracks' as well. I'll look under my seats and see what looks normal.

Here is the crack as it appears from above and below. It goes straight across the centerline of the truck. Upon closer inspection, it looks like rot. From the top it looked like a mount of some sort was rusting out.

How do the Monroe shocks compare ride-wise to the stock shocks? Sorry for saying "blown spring" Should have said "worn". Hope you all don't think I'm some sort of idiot!

post-6-1082602036.jpg

well ... that sucks ... its just the rust eating away at the metal ... definately should do something about that before it gets out of hand ...

and BTW - none of us thinks you are an idiot ... you are learning just like we all have ... :aok:

Dang.. that don't look too good Repack. Definately something to take care of before it rots out totally. I did a similar floor patch on an old galaxy 300. We killed the rust with Naval Jelly, smeared it with roofing cement (great tar content) then pop-rivited sheet aluminum over for support. Underneath, we applied some thick undercoat to keep the water out. If it's under the seat, it doesn't have to be pretty.... kinda like a cheap date :)

Or, you could go with replacement adjustable shocks from Nissan, I hear they're not that expensive from the dealer(stealer)...wonder of wonders...

i paid 350 cdn. a pair when i redid the front sus. on my truck. Just be prepared to cut the old shocks off incase they are seized (common problem in road salt infested ontario)

I had the common rear end sag on my 95SE and replaced the rear coils with Moog Cargo coils. They're variable rate, and quite a bit stiffer than stock. There was no need to replace shocks at the time. Basically, if you do the bounce test on the back of your Pathy (bounce the back a few times, and release) and it stops bouncing after 1-1.5 times, then your shocks are okay. Just need new coils to replace the sagging ones. They're cheap. I got mine for about $90 CDN

Good luck