96 pathfinder knock sensor code on OBDII

dcerdil

hi all,

I have a 96 pathfinder SE, auto, 150,000 miles.

I have been getting a knock sensor code on my OBDII.

I have reset the thing twice, it came back up twice, now I reset it the third time (the charm!).

I drove it for "system readiness test", and it just passed the NY state inspection, so the computer is "ready".

I am guessing the code may come back within a couple of days (I hope not!)

Well, my question is: how much would it cost to replace the knock sensor?

My regular local repair shop tells me it is a dealer specific service. (read: $$$$$)

Also, I wonder if I can live with a bad knock sensor...

Any other thing to try before throwing money out to my sweet dealer?

thanks,

-dce.

Don't bother. Don't listen to these WD21 people...they don't know what they're talking about. :P

The Knock Sensor does not effect any driveability systems on your vehicle. In fact, it does VERY VERY little. It is a very common problem to have the knock sensor circuit short out or the KS to fail on the 96-99 Pathfinders. I've had the KS code since 45,000 miles on my Pathy and it's no worse for the wear.

The only reason to change it is if NYS won't pass you because of it. Dean (XplorX4) just passed California Emissions with a Knock Sensor code on his 97.

Don't bother. Don't listen to these WD21 people...they don't know what they're talking about. :P

The Knock Sensor does not effect any driveability systems on your vehicle. In fact, it does VERY VERY little. It is a very common problem to have the knock sensor circuit short out or the KS to fail on the 96-99 Pathfinders. I've had the KS code since 45,000 miles on my Pathy and it's no worse for the wear.

The only reason to change it is if NYS won't pass you because of it. Dean (XplorX4) just passed California Emissions with a Knock Sensor code on his 97.

:o no crap? mind you..

Huh, I guess things are quite different on the 3.3, even though some things are similar. My knock sensor died about 2 years ago on my 94 3.0, made the truck go into "limp" mode and almost undrivable. It was dumping fuel to cover the knock it was sensing, and the truck wouldn't idle at all on its own. It wasn't dealer specific, but it was a pain in the @$$. The local NAPA up the street stocked the part locally in their warehouse, but it was close to $200 I think for the stupid little thing. I didn't have the time or garage to tear the intake off, so I paid like $450 out the door iirc, to have it done at a local shop.

Regardless, if cash it tight and you can't get it done, but you can get by with it for now, guess there's your answer. I wouldn't be the guy to recommend just continuing on driving forever though. The sensor is there for a reason.