Decisions, decisions

cdhicks99

Drop a Nissan engine with a supercharger out of a Frontier or an X....You can get the engines from Japan with 40K miles or less for cheap....Plus it would be an easier fit....

As far as SBC's....ran both of mine..a 307 and the a 350 for over 250K each....the reason they don't last is when you have a decent amout of power on hand you ten to drop the hammer on it a lot more.....with my POS 3.3 in my 97 Pathy i have to baby it for fear of it exploding....Of course the lack of power could be the 32" tires with stock gears... but who knows.....

I miss my Chevelle!!!!!

Wow has everyone had a bad experience with SBCs?

no. older 350's rock. remember.. you're on a chevy haters forum..... except fer some folks.. like me......... n dave...... n a few others B)

Yeah just drop a

ok

/mean

The VG33ER is a joke, its not worth swapping into your pathy, the Eaton M65 is not worth sitting on top of your motor, and for the amount of work it would take to swap over to a VG33ER you could have a SBC. I would wait until the L&P Performance kit comes out and see about using it on your motor.

If you are using it for a mud runner then I could see it, but since it is gonna be a crawler then why waste the motor? But hey its your money and your time and since you have not alot of either then save yourself the trouble.

Quick analysis.

SBC

Mains bearings $50

Rod bearings $50

Cam & lifters $140

Timming gears $120

Gaskets $20

Propane conversion $600

$980

VG30

Main bearings $50

Rod bearings $50

Cams $550

Timing belt&tensioner $70

Gaskets $150+

Head work $400

$1270+

And that is converting it to propane. I was going to rebuild the VG anyway and probably would have spent alot more than that trying to get around 200hp.

Edited by cdhicks99

dont forget all of your accesories they will add up in a hurry. I could see if your current setup was broke but like they say if its not broke dont fix it. Maybe take your time and see what all that is involved in it and use what u have till you need to fix it. I know people here on this board sas and are happy with Nissan setup. Just think it out and add all of your costs before you jump into it ;)

Well CD if you are like me I am impatient. I have not been keeping up on how your project is going but you have both motors correct? Apparently you have the mechanical know-how so do what you want.

Do not listen to anybody else here. I like the idea of the SBC myself but I love power and lots of it. Durability is good also but again you have both motors and if you do not have alot of cash then I would go with the SBC save some cash for other mods on the project, get it running and crawling and while you are still having fun with your bad_a$$ sased pathy you could be rebuilding the VG slowly but perfectly so that if something bad does happen to the SBC you got it covered. Like I said before dont listen to anybody including me I just like thinking and sharing what I would do If I was in your shoes. Whatever you chose I am sure it will be sweet. BTW Is there some special reason you are wanting to convert to propane?? Why not instead switch from carburated to fuel injection?? assuming it is not already that is. P...

Bottom line, 153 HP to move 4200 lbs don't cut the mustard. Use a 350 and have a smile on your face every time you mash the gas to the floor. ;)

By the way, if someone does want to swap in a 350, you can't just put the engine in and bolt a Nissan transmission to it, of course...

It's about time you chimed in 88!

There are several reasons for propane. Propane like EFI can still run even if your upside down, LPG however needs no electronics like the EFI CPU. LPG is cheaper than gasoline, and the setup is about half that of EFI. There is virtually no maintenance involved with a LPG setup, the most common problem is a small bladder inside the mixer that can be changed on the trail in about five minutes. A LPG fed engine tends to need less maintenance due to no carbon build-up. LPG is also much better for the environment. And last but not least, the exhaust smells cool!

Id keep the VG in there, if I could id put a Nissan h233 in the front. The SBC is great for power, yeah you would get smile on your face when you hit the gas but it be wiped away pullin up to the pumps. Im one of those ppl who want to keep it as nissan as I can though. Do I have a problem with ppl putting an SBC in a Nissan, I could careless, would I do it? no. I think its extremely counter productive to put an SBC out and then later on put a VG back in, though.

That was the original point of this thread FLA, I agree I would love to keep it "pure" Nissan, but after looking at the cost, it only makes sense to go V8.

This will not be driven on the road, except to and from the OHV.

And it will be seeing very extreme climbs, I plan on keeping up with the truggies around here, making it not street friendly.

And as far as the cost of gas, it will probably get better mileage on the trails due to the better low-end. ETA: propane is much cheaper than gas.

Edited by cdhicks99

UPDATE!!!!!!

As of right now the plans have changed yet again!

The SBC combo will NOT be entering my ride any time soon. I am going to be moving into my new house at the end of this month and have no time for much of anything. There are two major rides I need to attend, Thanksgiving and New years. I doubt I will even have time to double the tranfers. Also for the first run I may be 69" front and 59" in the rear with a wicked offset in ratios :oops:

Any way after thinking of these latest developments I will not ever use the SBC, instead I am going to build a buggy using a Nissan theme instead of a Heep.

UPDATE!!!!!!

As of right now the plans have changed yet again!

The SBC combo will NOT be entering my ride any time soon. I am going to be moving into my new house at the end of this month and have no time for much of anything. There are two major rides I need to attend, Thanksgiving and New years. I doubt I will even have time to double the tranfers. Also for the first run I may be 69" front and 59" in the rear with a wicked offset in ratios :oops:

Any way after thinking of these latest developments I will not ever use the SBC, instead I am going to build a buggy using a Nissan theme instead of a Heep.

-bounce- :D i haven't kept up but glad you're coming to some senses. :clap:

Ladies and Gentlemen. I may be repremanded for this, however, an engine is an engine. They all work the same and have the same goal. It doesn't matter who originally made it. One other thing.......... 'dreams are not bought; they are built...' With a small block you would have unprecidented power to push around the finder, bottom line. Manufacturor or not. All vehicles suck! They will invariably break at the most inoportune time, no matter the make. The VG30 is an underpowered RUNT of an engine, but do I love mine? YUP! Also love my 67 camaro that has 418hp out of a small block, that also gives me problems occaisionally. Do what you gotta do and if you do it differently, then more power to ya cause you are "making" it yours. just my .02