Decisions, decisions

cdhicks99

Yesterday I was given a four-bolt main Chevy 350 for my cLE project.

Originally I wanted to keep it as much Nissan as possible, so I would not taint the great Nissan badge. However I have MANY years tinkering with the SBC and know far more about it. The motor is in perfect running condition, all I would do is replace the low-end bearings as a precaution. I would not even consider this swap if it were not for the weak Nissan A/T. If I go this route I have an unlimited supply of Chevy drivetrain components.

The question is, would I be turning my back on the great Nissan name?

And, would you all still love me if I didn't have a purebred?

:confused:

Edited by cdhicks99

Oh, come on MZ......a SBC is SURELY an upgrade over any Heep engine!!!!

But seriously, cdhicks........why go through all the trouble? The VG30 is a great engine, not powerful, but very durable.

To be honest if I had to choose again on motors for my 91, based on cost, time and location..... I would drop a 350 in it...... Pathy tranny blows after 350 intall, guess what I am looking for....

If I blow the engine in the 95, I would be looking for a 3.0/3.3 cross, VG30DE or even a 3.5.

Daily driver I would want some reliablity with the capacity of a Sleeper :hide:

Edited by Casey.T

Like I said in the original post I wouldn't even consider it if I had another AT option. I refuse to use a MT when hill climbing, I go to enjoy myself, not to be slinging gears all day long.

I actually love the VG30, it's whats behind it that bothers me.

In the past I have thought about getting another VG to set on the frame to make swapping over the cab a little quicker.

This way I can have all suspension, engine, and drivetrain all in place before popping the cab loose from the existing frame.

I think I am going to go ahead with this, since the VG was going to get an overhaul anyway, this will be my cheapest route both in the long and short.

Quick analysis.

SBC

Mains bearings $50

Rod bearings $50

Cam & lifters $140

Timming gears $120

Gaskets $20

Propane conversion $600

$980

VG30

Main bearings $50

Rod bearings $50

Cams $550

Timing belt&tensioner $70

Gaskets $150+

Head work $400

$1270+

More power is just plain more fun in most cases. Sure the dependebility is one thing but if you have a good SBC then let the good times roll. And besides if you blow it later on you will still have the VG right? No worries. Plus it will be cool to be able to smoke the tires all four if you want.....