Strange problem...assistance please.

Saragantas

Hi. I have an 89 Pathfinder 5spd. A couple months ago, it didn't want to start. I replaced the fuel pump. No change. After playin around a bit, I found if I wacked the relay box, the fuel pump started. Easy enuff fix. New relays and a quick wiring check on the box......no change. About then, in the mornings and afternoons to and from work, 15-or-so minutes after I hit the road, it randomly and suddenly dies, coasts for bout 1/4mi, then spontaneously self-starts......yeah..... 75% of all starts require me to wack the relay box...works like a charm.....wiring looks good....

I'm open to any an all suggestions, including smart remarks.

smart remarks? okie dokie..

rig up a spring loaded hammer to a string, so when you need to, you can whack the relay box from the comfort of your seat. :D

real suggestion? chek your grounds, sounds like one might be loose, or have bad contact.

I COMPLETELY went over the relay box. All clean and tight, new main and FP relay. Funny thing is, it doesn't seem to be running out of gas, it jus flat & suddenly dies.....almost like an ignition short of some sort, but the fact that it restarts itself, and does so "reliably", seems to negate a short....just coasting along and all of a sudden running again.........I've had 3 Nissan Z's, and never had any problem of the sort, just kinda wonderin ifn any o u had such a problem.

Hammer....string....and like a spring, yeah? I like it.

sorry i missed all of that...maybe the relay gets hot and doesnt work properly?

and the time it takes to get to it and whack it it cools off? i dont see that being an issue but who knows...very weird

Edited by unccpathfinder

I know I say this a lot, but check your fusible links. If a certain one is loose or corroded it will cut your ignition. It might be that you're actually moving a loose fusible link around a bit when you whack the relay box or hit a bump. Good luck and I hope you find the problem soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar re-occuring problem, found the scourse by accident when I was 4wding with sw. Actually, sw found it, the location anyway. Long story short, it was a dirty female spade connector to the injector (EFI) relay.

10 dollars says it is a bad conection and you missed it. Check the wires again and soak the buggers in wd40. A bad earth can also create havoc too.

Just another thought. Have you got a coil? If so, it may need a clean, have a hair line crack or just cutting out when it gets hot.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

• 2 weeks later...

hey that exact same thing just happened to me yesterday. 20 miles into the return trip after mudding and all of a sudden the tach went to zero and I was coasting in silence. I waited around for awhile and it didnt start again, not fuel prob, I put some gas right in the tb so i guess ignition? All connections look good, where are these fusible links you are talking about?

So when i rolled to a stop it happened to be at a small auto repair place and the guy just called and said my timing belt broke. So I gather that this is a non interference engine and now i have a hell of a project on my hands. has this ever happened to anyone?